15 Kids and Counting

dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Three-part series exploring the lives of some of the UK's biggest families , including a family who have 14 kids and are expecting their 15th baby.

Comments

• guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just reading about this, we have a family here with about 14 or 15 children...They had a few articles and docs done about them, but they are not on this prograame.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/15-kids-and-counting/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Last night I watched Richard Wilson's programme that I'd V+. Between that and the previous programme Ch4 had one of this little 3 minute insert things and that one was a woman saying why she'd chosen to be sterilised when she was 30, Too many people already in the world was one of her reasons ..and of course with perfect timing this was followed instantly with a trailer for a couple with 15 kids and counting! lol :D
  • MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else watching this?
    I missed the beginning of it... but have they said how the hell they afford this many children? I'm going to be presumptuous & assume benefits? :rolleyes:
    Think this program may do my blood pressure no good...
  • littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missjef these are the questions running my head too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littlefro wrote: »
    Missjef these are the questions running my head too.

and surely this is why child benefit should be limited to the first say 3 children? (as far as i'm aware you get some money for each child you have, although less than your first).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this first family own a bakery so at least they are providing for thier family. The second home school family seem a bit more out thier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    It must be awful to have so many siblings, you will never really get much quality time with your mum because she will be busy with the others.
  • MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    Good to see the kids are eating veggies. :)
  • RyclopsRyclops Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The woman home schooling her kids is mad! She isn't even differentiating the work for her kids. How are they supposed to learn or develop social skills??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Agree that benefts should be limited to (for example) only 3 children.

I think the family in this programme do not claim benefits but not sure. Feeding time seems like a pain in the backside!!! I couldn't cope with 1, never mind 15!!!

Good to see that the kids are so happy and seem to be well looked after too :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The family with the bakery seem to provide for their own family with him working 80 hours a week!

I don't envy any of them though, i really don't think i could have 15 kids!!
  • kate1kate1 Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    The programme is really about mental issues more than anything else
  • SoulpuncherSoulpuncher Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do they afford these 15 kids?
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
    Forum Member
    Garlic wrote: »
    Agree that benefts should be limited to (for example) only 3 children. I think the family in this programme do not claim benefits but not sure. Feeding time seems like a pain in the backside!!! I couldn't cope with 1, never mind 15!!!

Good to see that the kids are so happy and seem to be well looked after too :D

Don't know how much child benefit is nowadays, but with so many children it will still be hammering the tax payer.
    The couples featured do seem to be paying their way, but what happens if there comes a time when they can't? In many ways, these huge families are still a burden on facilities such as schools & the NHS.

Did anyone notice how big the houses were? Just how many bedrooms do they need? Just don't know how they can afford the upkeep of so many children. :confused:
  • dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missjef wrote: »
    Anyone else watching this?
    I missed the beginning of it... but have they said how the hell they afford this many children? I'm going to be presumptuous & assume benefits? :rolleyes:
    Think this program may do my blood pressure no good...

Thread started this morning
  • nhodkin147nhodkin147 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missjef wrote: »
    and surely this is why child benefit should be limited to the first say 3 children?

My thoughts exactly. Maybe 4 kids. Anymore, then no more benefits.

It's pure selfishness. You gotta wonder what hardworking people who struggle to conceive even one child think of people like this...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Its seems a bit of a selfish attitude, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ukool wrote: »
    The second home school family seem a bit more out thier.

A very odd pair.
  • MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why she keeps on having more and more kids, when there are serious risks to her health. I am sure the kids she already has would prefer having their mum around in good health, to a seriously ill mum or at worse, a dead mum. :(
  • dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can they afford to live with 15 kids
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mirage wrote: »
    I don't understand why she keeps on having more and more kids, when there are serious risks to her health. I am sure the kids she already has would prefer having their mum around in good health, to a seriously ill mum or at worse, a dead mum. :(

This. ^
    I just don't understand, why risk it when you know that you are likely to have a very high risk pregnancy when you next get pregnant?
  • SoulpuncherSoulpuncher Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate1 wrote: »
    The programme is really about mental issues more than anything else

True. Maybe the attention they get being pregnant.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
    Forum Member
    She seems to have a terrible health history, and having so many babies will create more health issues in the future. Varicose veins, dropped womb, bladder probs. And with all those children to look after. :eek:
  • DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The family with 15 kids seem lovely. The children are confident and get on, they look to be eating proper;y cooked food around a table, they are laughing and sharing and seem bright The father works and they all look well cared for.
    I'd rather pay them CB than 15 individual 19 year old single mums wandering about in shell suits with hoop earings and **** feeding their kids from iceland
  • DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. Maybe the attention they get being pregnant.

The first family, mum and dad were both adopted and have discussed their reasons

The second family are committed catholics.