Options

Unpopular Film Opinions

Comments

• Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New films are crap. Actors at the moment just get by with high cheekbones, a cool jacket and a blank expression while an over-the-top video game plays out around them.

just in the ones you're watching then. I find characters in movies today act more like actual people, that you might know. in a lot of old movies, not all but quite a lot, they act like they are in a pantomime. many of them speak with really posh accents and reflect no one living in any decade, or in any social class. they did ham it up far too much. but they are still good. Old films are great. especialy horrors. they are more funny than scary mind you.

have you ever seen dragonwick. now that is funny as ****.
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just in the ones you're watching then. I find characters in movies today act more like actual people, that you might know. in a lot of old movies, not all but quite a lot, they act like they are in a pantomime. many of them speak with really posh accents and reflect no one living in any decade, or in any social class. they did ham it up far too much. but they are still good. Old films are great. especialy horrors. they are more funny than scary mind you.

I agree. it was often as case if there was someone who wasn't posh, they were the criminal and had a dirty face!!! Realism really wasn't a thing with a lot of very old films!

I do think nowadays it does comes down to what you watch. To me there are plenty of films out there that aren't based on high cheekbones etc. I would say now, there is more a chance to see films that aren't based on this than there ever has been before.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    I agree. it was often as case if there was someone who wasn't posh, they were the criminal and had a dirty face!!! Realism really wasn't a thing with a lot of very old films!

I do think nowadays it does comes down to what you watch. To me there are plenty of films out there that aren't based on high cheekbones etc. I would say now, there is more a chance to see films that aren't based on this than there ever has been before.

yeh there are plenty good films out there. just have to know where to look.

old movies are just a result of the social ideals at the time.

now almost everything is acceptable.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, what the hell, I'll say it: Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, American Beauty, Casablanca, Lord of the Rings, Citizen Kane & Raiders of the Lost Arc all bored me out of my mind.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you think that new films are more like real life than old films then I think you should spend more time in real life and less time watching films.

Film now are as far removed from reality as they ever were. There is nothing more realistic in Christian Bale's performance as Batman than there is in René Navarre's performance as Fantômas back in the 1910s.

At least in the old Fantômas films they didn't think that plot and characterisation could be exchanged for big explosions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member

Scarface is overrated and not Al Pacino's best film.

I love Pacino, but never understood what all the fuss was about when it came to Scarface.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Pacino, but never understood what all the fuss was about when it came to Scarface.

Scarface becomes impossible to watch when you get it into your head that Pacino is doing an impression of Chico Marx.
  • Options
    Tiggeraspi123Tiggeraspi123 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Black Swan was a good film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Many classic films from the 30s and 40s are hackneyed by today's standards -e.g Casablanca, Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Life.
  • Options
    PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Michael Caine is a very over rated actor
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disney Pixar films (and the like) are for children.
  • Options
    Walter WhiteWalter White Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All comic book films are utter utter shite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ted was utter crap, and I have no idea why people rate it as even vaguely amusing.
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think that new films are more like real life than old films then I think you should spend more time in real life and less time watching films.

Film now are as far removed from reality as they ever were. There is nothing more realistic in Christian Bale's performance as Batman than there is in René Navarre's performance as Fantômas back in the 1910s.

At least in the old Fantômas films they didn't think that plot and characterisation could be exchanged for big explosions.

You make it sound like the only films available are comic book heroes and/or big explosion films! There are plenty of other sort of films, that do wander a lot nearer to reality than those!

Oh and my opinions that may not be liked - Dirty Dancing is a complete crude of a film and the first Twilight film made me very bored, so never watched the others!
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i still prefer the original version of BLADE RUNNER, the narration by decker is great
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avengers Assemble is overrated, not since LoTR has a film been this overrated.
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree totally on The Avengers being absolute arsewipe.

The Hangover (not funny at all)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash Gordon is better than Star Wars
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiderman 3 > The Amazing Spiderman
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Die Hard 4 is the best of the Die Hard sequels (controversial) but the original is the finest action movie ever made (not so controversial)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Disney Pixar films (and the like) are for children.

I agree, but why would this be controversial?
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,934
    Forum Member
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Die Hard 4 is the best of the Die Hard sequels (controversial) but the original is the finest action movie ever made (not so controversial)
    I agree.

I've been shot down before for saying the exact same thing. DH4 is a decent, well-paced action movie. DH2 was uninspired and DH3 was a complete mess in comparison.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont agree i like die hard with a vengence the best after the first one of course
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Heath Ledgers Joker was awful
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,934
    Forum Member
    i dont agree i like die hard with a vengence the best after the first one of course
    Well yeah, that's the popular opinion.