Fibre broadband VDSL plate alternatives

kevkev Posts: 21,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm planning on ordering fibre broadband tomorrow and have just noticed one small snag...

As I'm in a shared house I have my own dedicated phone line - alas the positioning of the socket is awful - basically my bed is wedged up to it at one end (actually there is about 1cm of space between the front of the BT socket and the bed as the right angled TV aerial connector projects further ), and can't be moved as it's wedged up against the radiator at the other end - I've just noticed that the Fibre Broadband install will require an additional plate being installed making the BT socket stick out even more.

Now obviously if you try and plug a normal RJ11 cable in it will project a fair bit more than that and probably get trashed (even if it's not the moulded connectors used on business products)

Ever since I moved in it's been connected to the test socket as the faceplate is iffy (the plastic holding the connector in has been broken since before I moved in and when you have that plugged in the line keeps dropping) - once the BT engineer has gone can I just switch back to the same setup - there is no phone plugged in so there will only be the VDSL modem (the microfilter is one of the ones supplied by BT Broadband back in 2002 - first generation self install I think - has always worked better than those provided since)

http://kjs1982.me.uk/3rdparty/digitalspy/DSC_1263.jpg shows how tight it is - and you can see how the micro filter has some breathing space thanks to being 1cm nearer the wall!

Alternatively - does anyone know of any alternative faceplates where the socket is at the side or bottom?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could just remove it and use a microfilter instead.

Openreach are rolling out their self install pilot nationwide very shortly so the VDSL faceplate won't be part of the install for most people soon anyway.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    You could just remove it and use a microfilter instead.

Openreach are rolling out their self install pilot nationwide very shortly so the VDSL faceplate won't be part of the install for most people soon anyway.

Cool - I had the vague recollection that the microfilters didn't filter the RJ11 side so it was just a dumb adapter anyway... :cool: