James Martin

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
What is it with James martin??? every morning, afternoon, every day. including weekends.
what is so special about this chef ??? even doing non cooking programes now.. getting people to meet in a rural villages...

please take him off... BBC.... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Comments

• mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    why not just repeat and old cookery prog. All the recipes must have been done by now.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plethora of cooking programmes is because they are relatively cheap to make.
    I really can't see any other reason for his Saturday programme to be repeated on Sunday, the replay must cost as about as much as "The Epilogue did."

It's the same with quiz shows.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it with James martin??? every morning, afternoon, every day. including weekends.
    what is so special about this chef ??? even doing non cooking programes now.. getting people to meet in a rural villages...

please take him off... BBC.... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

(1) I enjoy the shows (2) many do, (3) they have a purpose built studio for The Saturday show, so it's cheap yo make extras, (4) something that's cheap to make interests the BBC (5) it's better than antique shows.

And finally rather than the BBC take him off, you personally could use the remote and switch over??
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The plethora of cooking programmes is because they are relatively cheap to make.
    I really can't see any other reason for his Saturday programme to be repeated on Sunday, the replay must cost as about as much as "The Epilogue did."

yes the program may be cheap to make.. but how many people can actually afford to buy all the ingredients ?? and use the expensive herbs and spices like saffron again ?
    not people on benefits for one... also have time to make them.. with all his fancy pans and jars, he has at his own home..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know right?
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He always has hogged the limelight, even in the Ready Steady Cook days with his spun sugar decoration
    I'm surprised they don't use Anthony Worral Thompson more, I know he blotted his copybook but I always admired the way he could make meals out of nothing and very cheaply
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes the program may be cheap to make.. but how many people can actually afford to buy all the ingredients ?? and use the expensive herbs and spices like saffron again ?
    not people on benefits for one... also have time to make them.. with all his fancy pans and jars, he has at his own home..

I've no time for cooking programmes, not the slightest interested. We do share the catering in our house. My wife cooks four nights a week and I take her out for a meal on the other three.

Neither of us can be bothered with cookery programmes. Though many years ago she took a Cordon Bleu course at evening classes, twice, as she liked it.

But in the end like others, after many years of cooking night after night, many women get tired of it.

When it's our turn to "entertain," I just choose a restaurant.

Sorted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll admit I enjoy many cookery programmes but I don't really watch to copy the recipes, I watch for the little tips you pick up and ideas I can use in my own cookery.

I like James but agree he is on a bit too much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh how VERY dare you!

I bloody looooove him! :blush::cool:;-)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with him and his shows for me is that they always use ingredients and gadgets that look very hard to come by and are expensive I think this puts a lot of people off making fresh home cooked food. Also the stuff the callers call in for on Saturday kitchen makes me laugh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of the day, he is a qualified pastry/desserts chef and can cook pretty much everything else too.

He also engages with all his guests and guest chefs, speaks well with a nice accent, makes me laugh sometimes and is pretty gorgeous to look at.

What else would a TV station need from a TV chef? :confused:

SATURDAY KITCHEN is basically HIS show now and rightly so, he's been doing it for so long.

& it's not like there are no other chefs on TV if for any reason you don't like him. There are plenty of others to choose from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    At the end of the day, he is a qualified pastry/desserts chef and can cook pretty much everything else too.

He also engages with all his guests and guest chefs, speaks well with a nice accent, makes me laugh sometimes and is pretty gorgeous to look at.

What else would a TV station need from a TV chef? :confused:

SATURDAY KITCHEN is basically HIS show now and rightly so, he's been doing it for so long.

& it's not like there are no other chefs on TV if for any reason you don't like him. There are plenty of others to choose from.

like rick stein..on once a week... hairy bikers... Mary berry... who are all on their way out... hogged the limelight to much..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    like rick stein..on once a week... hairy bikers... Mary berry... who are all on their way out... hogged the limelight to much..

They're probably on TV a lot because they are VERY popular. Mary Berry in particular. :)
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's sick of James bloody Martin being on every time I switch on t.v.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member

Cookery along with the home and antiques shows are all made as BBC know these sell well not just on the UKTV pay channels like Good Food in the UK but also the BBC Entertainment channel you see on pay TV around the world now. They need this type of programme to fill the daytime hours as drama etc because most countries have watershed rules similar to the UK is restricted to evenings plus most of the big BBC drama productions like many of the detective ones have been sold to non BBC channels overseas.

It's cheap filler. Okay James Martin or whichever chef they use must cost a bit but otherwise these are very cheap shows to make and for some reason are popular. Seasonal versions like Delia's Christmas shows are ongoing money spinners as get repeated every year in the run up to Christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Cookery along with the home and antiques shows are all made as BBC know these sell well not just on the UKTV pay channels like Good Food in the UK but also the BBC Entertainment channel you see on pay TV around the world now. They need this type of programme to fill the daytime hours as drama etc because most countries have watershed rules similar to the UK is restricted to evenings plus most of the big BBC drama productions like many of the detective ones have been sold to non BBC channels overseas.

It's cheap filler. Okay James Martin or whichever chef they use must cost a bit but otherwise these are very cheap shows to make and for some reason are popular. Seasonal versions like Delia's Christmas shows are ongoing money spinners as get repeated every year in the run up to Christmas.

What you say is true, but I sometimes think, given the quality of some daytime programmes, the testcard with some decent music might also get some reasonable ratings.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's sick of James bloody Martin being on every time I switch on t.v.

He is certainly not on every time I switch the TV on but then I rarely turn the TV on during the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

glad to hear it.... think of what we pay. or most of us anyway, tv licence... fee's for sky. or other digital company... and proberly other things i missed out... free-view viewers watch repeated crap also..
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top bloke in my opinion, I hope he sticks around to pee you off for a long time to come.
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I like him, but I did notice he was on rather a lot this morning. I had the telly on while I was doing some sewing.

He was making something out of leftover baked potatoes.
    And he used a potato ricer to make the new recipe.
    :confused:
    He didn't say what you could use if you don't have a potato ricer.
    That kind of thing annoys me - I don't even know what a potato ricer is let alone have one handy.

These chefs should give us alternatives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like him, but I did notice he was on rather a lot this morning. I had the telly on while I was doing some sewing.

He was making something out of leftover baked potatoes.
    And he used a potato ricer to make the new recipe.
    :confused:
    He didn't say what you could use if you don't have a potato ricer.
    That kind of thing annoys me - I don't even know what a potato ricer is let alone have one handy.

These chefs should give us alternatives.

A potato ricer is like a giant garlic press really. It just makes smooth mash.

You could use a potato masher. That's what I do and have no probs with lumps.
    I don't have a ricer...
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Also the stuff the callers call in for on Saturday kitchen makes me laugh.

Our next caller is Gary from Harlow.
    " Hi, I've just shot a woolly mammoth, how do I cook it?"
    " Try grilling it with some mushrooms"
    "Ok thanks"
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like James Martin, but I'm not sure whereabouts in England he comes from.
    It might be Yorkshire, but I can't be certain.
    He never seems to mention it.

:D
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is one thing that annoys me...

"Dack"
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    There is one thing that annoys me...