Way forward for digital radio agreed

kevkev Posts: 21,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Comments from MuxCo

http://www.muxco.com/blog/2012/07/02/signing-the-mou/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+muxco%2Fblog+%28MuxCo%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

DCMS Press Release
http://www.culture.gov.uk/news/media_releases/9176.aspx

First bit of it is five local multiplexes to launch within 18 months

Gloucestershire (Mux Co planning on launching this year)
Hereford and Worcester;
Northamptonshire;
North East Wales and West Cheshire (Mux Co already announced this is launching this year)
Oxfordshire.

Over the 18 months the full details of the rollout plan (where, how and when) will be drawn up and £21 million in network buildout investment will be made.
2013 - A digital switch over decision is to be made - in principal - and subject to that happening the roll out plan to go ahead.

Once this is complete (i.e. National DAB has reached FM equivalence, and local DAB is available to 90% of the population and all major roads), and Digital radio Platforms (i.e. not FM/MW/LW) listening is greater than 50% the DSO date(s) to be announced - currently this is looking like it will happen in 2016, and the first area to switch over will happen 2 years later.
DCMS wrote:
Radio switchover is the point at which all national and large local radio would cease to broadcast on
analogue and be available only via digital platforms. However, small local commercial and community services would continue to be available on FM. At this time, no decision has been made on how a switchover would be implemented.

In Short....

By 2013 5 new multiplexes on air, some existing multiplexes built out.

By 2016 FM equivalence reached, and subject to 50% of listening on digital platforms then the switchover dates announced.

2019 - UK to switch analogue off for national services and local stations on DAB.

The other scenarios published are
UK Wide Switchover in 2015
or
England in 2017
Wales in 2018
Scotland and Northern Ireland in 2019

Comments

• bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    DCMS Press Release

five local multiplexes to launch within 18 months by Dec 2013

Gloucestershire (Mux Co planning on launching this year)
    Hereford and Worcester;
    Northamptonshire;
    North East Wales and West Cheshire (Mux Co already announced this is launching this year)
    Oxfordshire.

Over the 18 months the full details of the rollout plan (where, how and when) will be drawn up and £21 million in network buildout investment will be made.
    2013 - A digital switch over decision is to be made - in principal - and subject to that happening the roll out plan to go ahead.

Once this is complete (i.e. National DAB has reached FM equivalence, and local DAB is available to 90% of the population and all major roads), and Digital radio Platforms (i.e. not FM/MW/LW) listening is greater than 50% the DSO date(s) to be announced - currently this is looking like it will happen in 2016, and the first area to switch over will happen 2 years later.

By 2016 FM equivalence reached, and subject to 50% of listening on digital platforms then the switchover dates announced.

2018 - First area / UK to switch analogue off for national services and local stations on DAB.

So Beds, Herts, Bucks among others are still being treated like crap. The licence was awarded in 2007, and the idiots running digital roll out cannot confirm a date 5 years later. Absolutely pathetic!
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's two things missing from the release. A '+' at the end of DAB and the word 'Lincolnshire'.

Still, at least some certainity about digital radio is a good thing and a step in the right direction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's two things missing from the release. A '+' at the end of DAB and the word 'Lincolnshire'.

Still, at least some certainity about digital radio is a good thing and a step in the right direction.

+ is missing...it's taken nearly 15 years to get here!!!

would ignore + and see whats next...so we will have it by 2035.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boo no Derbyshire!!!

Nevermind - look forward to hearing the other multiplexs on my travels though.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Mediaweek looks like Global and UTV have signed, also UKRD for the Surrey mux?
    http://mediaweek.co.uk/channel/Radio/article/1139148/Radio-industry-Government-commit-spending-21m-local-DAB/
    After more than a year of negotiations, a non-legally binding memorandum of understanding (MoU) has been signed by a wide range of stakeholders and multiplex owners, including the BBC, Ofcom and Folder Media's MuxCo.

Although there had been speculation that parties such as Global Radio and UTV Media might refuse to sign the MoU, both companies have now agreed to the terms.

Through the MoU, the industry and Government have agreed in principle to pay up to £21m to fund the build-out of local DAB to FM "equivalences" over the next five years, and have also committed to consider further funding if necessary.
    According to figures from transmission operator Arqiva, 215 local and regional DAB transmitters broadcast across 46 local and regional multiplexes. It is expected that 150 additional transmitters will be needed to expand local DAB's reach to 90% of the UK.

Once the 90% criteria has been reached, the culture secretary, currently Jeremy Hunt, will be able to nominate a date or dates for radio switchover and enter phase three, which will build out local DAB coverage as wide as FM.

Communications Minister Ed Vaizey said: "This is a positive and significant step forward for the future of digital radio in the UK.

"As more and more listeners make the switch to digital, it's vital that we keep on increasing the areas able to receive a digital signal. Government, the BBC and the commercial operators are working together to ensure this happens."

The row over who would fund the rollout of local DAB first emerged when commercial radio trade body Radio Centre refused to attend a meeting in November 2010 after the BBC licence-fee settlement did not include provision for local DAB.

Today, the DCMS has also published a methodology report detailing how it worked out the cost benefit analysis of radio switchover and has asked for comment on the proposals set out in the report.

The following organisations have signed the MoU:
    DCMS
    BBC
    Ofcom
    Arqiva Limited
    Switch Digital (London) Limited
    Switch Digital (Scotland) Limited
    UTV-Bauer Digital Limited
    UTV-Bauer Digital (B&H) Limited
    C.E. Digital Limited (jointly owned by Bauer Media and Global Radio)
    Bauer Digital Radio Limited
    UTV Media Limited (GB)
    MuxCo North Yorkshire Limited
    MuxCo North East Wales and West Cheshire Limited
    MuxCo Wales Limited
    MuxCo Lincolnshire Limited
    MuxCo Gloucestershire Limited
    MuxCo South Midlands Limited
    MuxCo Surrey and North Sussex Limited
    MuxCo Somerset Limited
    Now Digital Limited
    Now Digital (Southern) Limited
    Now Digital (East Midlands) Limited
    Now Digital (Oxford) Limited
    South West Digital Radio Limited
    The Office of the Adjudicator

Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now Digital Limited
    Now Digital (East Midlands) Limited Derbyshire?
    Now Digital (Oxford) Limited Oxford?
    so which signataury of this agreement is Northants and which is Beds, Herts, Bucks?
  • mattdmattd Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't jump to the conclusion that if an area isn't on the 18months list that it won't launch within the next 18months.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now Digital Limited
    Now Digital (East Midlands) Limited Derbyshire?
    Now Digital (Oxford) Limited Oxford?
    so which signataury of this agreement is Northants and which is Beds, Herts, Bucks?

Northants and Beds, Herts, Bucks were both awarded to "Now Digital Limited"

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radio-broadcast-licensing/digital-radio/awards0708/awards/award_herts/

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radio-broadcast-licensing/digital-radio/awards0708/awards/northamptonshire/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattd wrote: »
    Don't jump to the conclusion that if an area isn't on the 18months list that it won't launch within the next 18months.
    Thanks Matt so hopefully see some progress in Surrey,
    notice from the blog Gloucester may make it on air in 2012 along with Wrexham, Chester and Liverpool ! Hope it goes well
    We’re in the process of finalising the Gloucester transmission contract at the moment and when this is done we’ll be able to firm up a launch date for that multiplex. We’re hoping it will be close to the date of the Wrexham, Chester and Liverpool multiplex, but it has to take into account the transmission operators timings and the period where the weather interferes with builds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »

looking at the 3 counties licence be interesting now what fills the slots
    Heart, Gold, XFM, their is a JACK in Stevenage but not owned by Absolute, and UCB are now national.
    Suspect LBC and Capital, maybe a Bauer and an Absolute.
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    No news regarding the possibility of re-advertising the 2nd national commercial dab mux then :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    No news regarding the possibility of re-advertising the 2nd national commercial dab mux then :(
    The main commercial companies currently seem to be rolling out quasi national stations on local muxes which the MOU is about?
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    The main commercial companies currently seem to be rolling out quasi national stations on local muxes which the MOU is about?
    I vaugely remember the various proposals for a 2nd nat dab having new players involved like Sky, Ch4 etc (may be wrong).
    With the rapid reduction of competition within the radio market it would be great to see this 2nd mux being brought back on track along with new owners.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Still no plans for a local DAB mux covering Cumbria? It looks like BBC Radio Cumbria will be staying on FM for ever.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're really going to try and switch off FM starting 2019?

That's a seriously ambitious date. If I were a richer man I'd happily put £100 down Laddy's on it not happening in this decade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _ben wrote: »
    Still no plans for a local DAB mux covering Cumbria? It looks like BBC Radio Cumbria will be staying on FM for ever.
    Seems to be in the report and MOU but may not be till 2016?
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/dab-maps/Cumbria.pdf
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Media Guardian is reporting that none of it is legally binding and the commercial radio companies won't be getting the cheque books out until the Government makes a decision on whether to go ahead with FM switchoff, due in late 2013.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/02/analogue-radio-switch-off-pan

I suppose the commitment to the five new multiplexes is a step forward though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Guardian
    William Rogers, the chief executive of local radio group UKRD and a long-time digital radio sceptic, said the memorandum was a "total waste of time and energy" which was "tantamount to kicking the can down the road".
    He added: "We have been waiting for this for months and months and all we get is a meaningless piece of paper devoid of any serious commitment to the necessary funding required or any sensible strategy to deliver certainty to this whole local digital shambles."
    Interesting what William Rogers of UKRD is saying and maybe why the Surrey mux isn't in the 18 month list?
    But in a radio DSO most of UKRD's stations will stay on FM.

The TV DSO dates were sorted well in advance but the radio dates are not.
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telly was different:

- the economy was buoyant.
    - TV's a rich man's game, so a switchover is a relatively smaller cost (and the savings greater from stopping dual tx).
    - the profit to the govt. from selling off analogue is potentially mahoosive, so a bigger driver.
    - everyone knew they could stick their hands in the BBC's pocket to buy new tellies for blind people and spunk a load of cash reassuring jittery MPs that keen letter-writing constituent Doris Scragg, 86 doncherknow, would be just fine.

No doubt the BBC will cough for some more this time round.. but it won't be as lavish an operation as TV DSO.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever seen a more biased poll that that from the DCMS? :mad:

www.culture.gov.uk/images/publications/CBA_Radio_Switchover_Methodology_Report_July12.pdf

Looking at Table 10 (Page 69 of 73) it claims that with analogue "The only information provided on the radio set is the identification of the station you are listening to." Have the DCMS never heard of Radiotext on FM?

They think Radiotext is exclusively a digital attribute: "Information is continuously provided identifying the station you are listening to, what programme is on, and what song is playing or who is being interviewed."

The DCMS has obviously never heard of DAB's gurgling, burbling and boiling mud because "You have clear sound and no background interference." However, with analogue "You may experience sound interference."

Needless to say, there's no mention that the vast majority of stations are often mono, the record probably being held by London 3 where 15 out of 16 stations are mono.

No wonder 3 out of 4 new cars still are analogue only !
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah.. and everyone had one or two TVs which could be fixed for £15 in Aldi.

Households have half a dozen + radios, and don't seem to see much of a financial or content incentive to replace them or buy a job lot of converters.

Oh yeah (again). DTV was roughly achieved using similar numbers of transmitters to analogue. The recent Ofcom tech report suggested this wouldnt be the case for local DAB. I saw one mux which had about 7 additional fillers suggested! Best get picking Mark Thompaon's pocket again :)
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Have you ever seen a more biased poll that that from the DCMS? :mad:

www.culture.gov.uk/images/publications/CBA_Radio_Switchover_Methodology_Report_July12.pdf

Looking at Table 10 (Page 69 of 73) it claims that with analogue "The only information provided on the radio set is the identification of the station you are listening to." Have the DCMS never heard of Radiotext on FM?

They think Radiotext is exclusively a digital attribute: "Information is continuously provided identifying the station you are listening to, what programme is on, and what song is playing or who is being interviewed."

The DCMS has obviously never heard of DAB's gurgling, burbling and boiling mud because "You have clear sound and no background interference." However, with analogue "You may experience sound interference."

Needless to say, there's no mention that the vast majority of stations are often mono, the record probably being held by London 3 where 15 out of 16 stations are mono.

No wonder 3 out of 4 new cars still are analogue only !
    But then on the other hand many have to put up with most of their stations being in mono on FM because of transmitters on most stations being too far away. On DAB many of us still recieve more stations in stereo.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what I've just put on the RadioToday article regarding William Rogers' position. I'm repeating it here. Just to bring you up to speed, the poster before me suggested Mr Rogers had his "rant" "pre-prepared", which to me suggested that Mr Rogers was a bit full of hot air, a point I disagree with...

Fair play to Mr Rogers. He's a guy I have a lot of time for. He's passionate, outspoken and opinionated and not afraid to make that known. It is refreshing to be reminded that PASSION is not a dirty word at UKRD - a group I massively admire - and I think anyone who dismisses him as just putting his 2p in isn't looking at the full picture, or at least not looking at the situations he talks about from multiple points of view.

However, on the DAB question, I have to say it is a shambles. 2015 was never, ever, in a month of Sundays going to happen. Digital television launched in this country on October 1st, 1998. On this day, July 3rd, 2012 - nearly 14 years later - we still have analogue transmitters online. To upgrade any television to digital (and every set in our house is, indeed, an upgraded analogue set rather than a true digital one) is a simple job - you go to Tesco, you buy a £10 box, you plug it into the SCART or AV input.

Unless it's a HiFi/Music Centre/etc., there is no Aux Input socket to plug a digital radio into! Also, the average household has a lot more radios than they will televisions. Finally - what are car owners going to do? Replacing an FM/AM radio with a DAB one is not an easy task!

And many stations - mainly the sallies - are still FM only. In my own career, I have never broadcast on a station that was carried on DAB. Look at Quidem, the main small-scale operator in my area. They own eight stations. Just one is on DAB. I understand Lincs FM Group are looking to bring Trax FM and Ridings FM off DAB as soon as they can! Does that really suggest to anyone that DAB as it is, is the future?

I'm afraid I see FM being king for a long time yet. If I were a richer man, and sadly since my employment prospects are so poor, I am not, I would happily go to Laddy's or Will Hill's tomorrow and put a grand on FM still being very much alive and kicking by January 1st, 2020.

At on that day, I would be an even richer man.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what about the regionel mutiplexes that mxr own ? where they need to feel in places that cant get it , ie the Stoke On Trent area ? Northamptonshire ? :confused:
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cars are the easy bit. Car radios on sale now all have Bluetooth and MP3 connectivity. Cars will come equipped with an amplifier and speakers, with Bluetooth connectivity and nothing else. What radio we have in a car will depend upon the mobile phone that we bring with us into the vehicle.

What a disaster DAB has been from both an engineering and financial viewpoint ! We must feel sorry for everyone in the commercial sector, damned if they don't take part, and damned if they do !