Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    pardon my ignorance of Fed Cup, but do they normally play 3 matches in one day

anyway well Brit team, who have won all the matches

BBC Tennis
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BBC Tennis

Remembering last year I think they do, it kinda works like the Hopman Cup
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarn wrote: »
    Jerzy Janowicz: ´Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer? The first one false, the other is full of his self´

I love this guy ... speaks the truth :D:cool:

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Jerzy-Janowicz-Novak-Djokovic-and-Roger-Federer-The-first-one-false-the-other-is-full-of-his-self-articolo8330.html

Even if there is truth in this, he needs to be careful. He has a lot of potential, but I imagine at this stage of his career it can't help criticising two of the greats! Seems a bit disrespectful, but it may have been a bad translation?

Though I don't get what he means about Novak being 'fake'?And with the amount Federer has achieved I can imagine he would come across as proud, but he seems kind enough and does a lot for his fans.

On a happier note, Britain won 3-0 in the Fed Cup! Really hope they can at least get through to the play-offs!
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarn wrote: »
    Jerzy Janowicz: ´Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer? The first one false, the other is full of his self´

I love this guy ... speaks the truth :D:cool:

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Jerzy-Janowicz-Novak-Djokovic-and-Roger-Federer-The-first-one-false-the-other-is-full-of-his-self-articolo8330.html
    Can't argue with him. Nole makes out he's tired/injured after a point before running all over the shop in the very next one. Andy does this too. Fed comes across as arrogant with his choice of attire and I can imagine his success has isolated him from much of the locker room.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abby103 wrote: »
    Even if there is truth in this, he needs to be careful. He has a lot of potential, but I imagine at this stage of his career it can't help criticising two of the greats! Seems a bit disrespectful, but it may have been a bad translation?

Though I don't get what he means about Novak being 'fake'?And with the amount Federer has achieved I can imagine he would come across as proud, but he seems kind enough and does a lot for his fans.

On a happier note, Britain won 3-0 in the Fed Cup! Really hope they can at least get through to the play-offs!

Britain should easily get through the group they are in, and the only team that could beat them in my opinion is Poland and I don't ~think~ they will play one another in Israel...glanced at the group's and think I worked that out right?
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In context, the Janowicz quote about Djokovic appears to be about the way he compliments his opponents in his post-match press conferences. How he's always nice and says he respects everybody - apparently this is 'fake', because before 09 he was more blunt in interviews. Which some people perceived as arrogant, so it's obviously a lose-lose situation. Or a non-situation, really.

The comments about Federer are about how he doesn't support an increase in prize money for lower-ranked players.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

BBC Tennis

Even more reason to rest Laura from the singles if she's just working her way back from her Aussie Open injury.
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    britain just beat portugal 2-1 in the fed cup, laura robson won her match easily and there was another easy victory in the doubles, but heather messed up her singles match, hopefully she'll improve tomorrow since hungary are likely the next best team in group B after britain.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agnes Szavay has officially retired. Unsurprising I guess but sad to think she's just 24.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    britain just beat portugal 2-1 in the fed cup, laura robson won her match easily and there was another easy victory in the doubles, but heather messed up her singles match, hopefully she'll improve tomorrow since hungary are likely the next best team in group B after britain.

Will she play? She's been involved a lot so far, wouldn't be surprised if she just plays the doubles, and Anne gets the gig.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agnes Szavay has officially retired. Unsurprising I guess but sad to think she's just 24.

A shame, but as you say expected. I was surprised to learn she was only 24.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see Nadal playing again. The stadium is packed. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Nadal playing again. The stadium is packed. :)

I'm not watching, is he playing like Rafa?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    I'm not watching, is he playing like Rafa?

A few more mistakes than his usual self, but luckily his opponent is making a few more. His kick serve is working well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few more mistakes than his usual self, but luckily his opponent is making a few more. His kick serve is working well.

Just won :D

I think he is playing pretty well considering he has been out for 8 months! There are definitely more errors, but there are flashes of brilliance too! I think we'll know more about how well he's playing when he meets some of the highly ranked players (Chardy, etc). I thought he had a bad moment with his knee in the second set, but he seemed to recover well :cool:

Also, at the Vina del Mar there was a 16 year old guy called Christian Garin - he was a WC and made it to R2, where he took Chardy to 3 sets (won the first and only dropped 2 points on serve!). Obviously a long way to go but he has real potential. It is hard to believe he is only 10 in the junior rankings! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    dazcdazc Posts: 4,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sky sports got Chile final on Sunday on red button
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think he is playing pretty well considering he has been out for 8 months! There are definitely more errors, but there are flashes of brilliance too! I think we'll know more about how well he's playing when he meets some of the highly ranked players (Chardy, etc). I thought he had a bad moment with his knee in the second set, but he seemed to recover well :cool:

Well, this to be honest. It's not been a bad restart and I think we all hope Rafa can get back to his best days. Nobody wants more Djokovic-Murray slam finals.
    Also, at the Vina del Mar there was a 16 year old guy called Christian Garin - he was a WC and made it to R2, where he took Chardy to 3 sets (won the first and only dropped 2 points on serve!). Obviously a long way to go but he has real potential. It is hard to believe he is only 10 in the junior rankings! :rolleyes:

Well, Chardy is hardly a real test for anyone. The fact he made a slam quarter final is one of those anomalies that makes everyone giggle.

Junior rankings are almost meaningless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

BIB, I thought that too, but wasn't sure. The Spanish commentary did not help one iota. ;)
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    dazc wrote: »
    sky sports got Chile final on Sunday on red button

Thanks - I had almost forgotten Sky cover tennis. Its the first tennis they have shown for 3 months since the world tour finals.

Of course we are now about to get 3 months of bumper Sky coverage - Rotterdam, Dubai, IW, Miami and the clay court season and then nothing for 3 months again from mid May to mid August.

Thank heavens for Eurosport!:D

PS A shame there is no telly coverage from Eilat of the Fed Cup - hopefully GB women will qualify and get a decent tie.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back injury did for her. Pity, she could've had a reasonably good career.
    Revenga wrote: »
    Well, this to be honest. It's not been a bad restart and I think we all hope Rafa can get back to his best days. Nobody wants more Djokovic-Murray slam finals.

Well, Chardy is hardly a real test for anyone. The fact he made a slam quarter final is one of those anomalies that makes everyone giggle.

Junior rankings are almost meaningless.
    Nor does anyone want Ferrer in any more GS semis while Nole and Fed are #1 and #2. The exception would be if Daveed was in Nole's half at the FO.

Nole-Andy finals are not pretty and they seem to bring each other down to a pure grinding contest. It's one of the worst top 4 rivalries.

Chardy has a passable FH but that's about it. Top players would have to be badly off colour to be troubled by him.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura has won her match and Heather is up in her match.

Good news that we can see Chile on the red button.

Edit Heather has lost a 3-0 lead. Come on, this isn't like her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura really got pummeled in the first set, thankfully she got her act together for the second and third.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Babos seems to become injury prone, when playing Heather.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heather has won 6-3 6-2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heather just beat Babos 6-3 6-2, britain have now won their group and will go up against the winner of group D tomorrow for a place in the playoffs. maybe they should just forfeit their doubles match, Laura and Heather should be in top shape for tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.