Options

Sky repeatedly rips off its customers, is it worth it?

i4ui4u Posts: 55,062
Forum Member
Looking at the Festive schedules for Sky's main family entertainment channel it is serving up a miserly 21½ hours of what is described as new programming that means 96% of Sky 1 will be 96% stuffed full of repeats. At over £20 a month (£240) Sky are surely roasting their customers nuts?

Sky has more repeats than Harry Hill's TV burps.

On one day 20 Dec BBC1 alone will provided around 10 hours of what could be described as new programming.

Meanwhile on Sky 1 more than half its new programming is not in peak time and is football related leaving a paltry 10½ hours in peak time spread across 2 weeks.

On Christmas Day there is only 10 minutes of new programme, which is The Queen's Speech. On 30 Dec there are no new programmes and the highlight and only new programme on New Year's Eve are the London fireworks lasting 20 minutes.

That confirms how London centric Sky is and has it arm firmly wedged up the backside of its viewers stuffing them full of repeats so they can't get to the phone and cancel the extremely poor value £240 a year subscription.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    The super rich Sky's miserly Christmas offerings to its Sky 1 subscribers.
    [B]20-Dec[/B]	        [B]Mins[/B]	
    8:00:00 AM	60	The Fantasy Football Club
    10:00:00 AM	180	Soccer AM
    12:00:00 PM	60	Wrestling
    1:30:00 PM	30	Birdman Special

[B]21-Dec[/B]		
    6:00:00 PM	30	The Simpsons

[B]22-Dec	[/B]	
    8:00:00 PM	30	Modern Family
    8:30:00 PM	30	Trollied
    9:00:00 PM	90	Stella

[B]23-Dec[/B]		
    8:00:00 PM	60	The Flash

[B]24-Dec[/B]		
    8:30:00 PM	30	The Simpsons
    10:00:00 PM	90	Stella

[B]25-Dec[/B]		
    3:00:00 PM	10	The Queen

[B]26-Dec[/B]		
    8:30:00 PM	120	Agatha Raisin: The Quiche of Death

• Options
    Forum Member
    And here are the scraps tossed to the TV hungry subscribers of Sky 1 by their masters...
    [B]27-Dec[/B]	       [B]Mins[/B]	
    8:00:00 AM	60	The Fantasy Football Club
    10:00:00 AM	120	Soccer AM
    12:00:00 PM	60	Wrestling

[B]28-Dec[/B]		
    11:00:00 AM	60	Wrestling

[B]29-Dec[/B]		
    8:00:00 PM	30	Modern Family

[B]30-Dec[/B]		

[B]31-Dec[/B]		
    11:55:00 PM	20	Live: Fireworks from London

[B]01-Jan[/B]		
    7:00:00 PM	60	Attenborough's Conquest of The Skies

[B]02-Jan[/B]		
    20:00:00	60	Show Me You Your Garden

At Sky Christmas isn't a time of giving, it's more a case of taking the urine?
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Looking at the Festive schedules for Sky's main family entertainment channel it is serving up a miserly 21½ hours of what is described as new programming that means 96% of Sky 1 will be 96% stuffed full of repeats. At over £20 a month (£240) Sky are surely roasting their customers nuts?

Sky has more repeats than Harry Hill's TV burps.

On one day 20 Dec BBC1 alone will provided around 10 hours of what could be described as new programming.

Meanwhile on Sky 1 more than half its new programming is not in peak time and is football related leaving a paltry 10½ hours in peak time spread across 2 weeks.

On Christmas Day there is only 10 minutes of new programme, which is The Queen's Speech. On 30 Dec there are no new programmes and the highlight and only new programme on New Year's Eve are the London fireworks lasting 20 minutes.

That confirms how London centric Sky is and has it arm firmly wedged up the backside of its viewers stuffing them full of repeats so they can't get to the phone and cancel the extremely poor value £240 a year subscription.

Well, as far as I'm aware, press gangs aren't roaming the streets forcing you to subscribe. You do have a choice...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Well, as far as I'm aware, press gangs aren't roaming the streets forcing you to subscribe. You do have a choice...

Does it come under care in the community?

Sky would prefer you had no choice, until recently they insisted customers pay in addition for an 'entertainment' package if they wanted sport.

The question is where is the 7bn income being spent it doesn't seem to show itself on its main entertainment channel. I've no objection to people jumping off a cliff but the consequences should be pointed out to them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »

Have you seen Sky reps cornering shoppers at the local mall! :)
  • Options
    Mr_DBMr_DB Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Whilst I share your frustrations with the lack of new programming (and for me the bugbear's true across multiple broadcasters and channels) - I think you're missing a few points.

People don't pay £20 for just one channel - what is paid for is the hardware, the infrastructure and the channels you get for £20, which is more than just Sky 1.

You also seem to think that showing The Queen's Speech and London NYE fireworks means that Sky is London-centric. These are two things that I think many would argue are national institutions.

As Irma Bunt pointed out, people have a choice of whether to subscribe or not.... They can also look up channel schedules online for free to see what's available and if it's what they want.... They also have the opportunity to cancel their subscription during the cooling off period (30 days I think for TV with Sky) if they find it's not what they want.

I do agree with your point that the lack of new programming is shocking - Sky aren't the only ones doing this though, but Sky 1 has taken it to the extremes. People do have a choice though, and they should really find out what they're buying before doing so?
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, the 10 million Sky subsribers are all morons who really need to be told on an internet forum how to spend their money.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed recently that when The Sun ranted about the number of repeats on the main channels it made no mention of the Sky channels (perhaps they are not regarded as major).Actually in our local shopping precinct there is a bloke with a Sky kiosk who stops people and tries to get them to sign up for Sky.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,643
    Forum Member
    The good thing about subscription TV services is that they are optional. You don't have to receive them if you don't want to simply by not subscribing to them.

Also, remember Sky has more than one entertainment channel - Sky 1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, and Sky Arts 1 all have their own original commision programming. Yes, they do have a lot of repeats, but name a channel that doesn't.

Anyway, I have a Sky subscription and I don't feel ripped off in the slightest. I can afford it, I choose to have it, and most importantly for me, I enjoy the programming I receive and choose to watch,
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is not just for xmas. I mean seriously, sky used to have every worthy import in the analogue days. These days it's just sport unless you actually like 100's of channels showing repeats.

Wonder if they'll be any Xmas day NFL to make something decent on tv on xmas day.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Yeah, the 10 million Sky subsribers are all morons who really need to be told on an internet forum how to spend their money.

Did anybody actually say that Hendero? Really?

Hey, they're only subscribing for the sport anyway.

Still, it's quite revealing that the Newspaper bile about all the repeats on the BBC is so unbalanced that it doesn't compare it with what people get with the much higher priced subscription method, eh?
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u makes a good point here, Sky TV is a total rip-off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Did anybody actually say that Hendero? Really?

He wrote this,

"And here are the scraps tossed to the TV hungry subscribers of Sky 1 by their masters... "
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,970
    Forum Member
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    Sky is not just for xmas. I mean seriously, sky used to have every worthy import in the analogue days. These days it's just sport unless you actually like 100's of channels showing repeats.

Wonder if they'll be any Xmas day NFL to make something decent on tv on xmas day.

They still do. Game of Thrones, True Detective, The Newsroom, Hannibal, Mad Men, Olive Kitteridge, Boardwalk Empire, The Following, Elementary, The Blacklist, Blue Bloods, Ray Donovan, Banshee, Chicago Fire, Gomorrah, Matrioshki plus (since your reference to 100s of channels must include many non-Sky channels but simply on their platform) the likes of Walking Dead, Suits, Burn Notice, Falling Skies, Graceland, Rookie Blue on Fox, Universal etc

The reality is that viewing patterns are different at Christmas with a big swing to the BBC - even ITV put in less effort.

It's the easiest thing in the world to make sweeping generalisations. There is plenty of dross on the BBC as well.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

Deja vu - all over again.
    Many years ago I came to the same conclusion. I wrote a little app that scraped TV schedules and stuffed 'em into a database. I was then able to ascertain what programmes were new (i.e. had never been broadcast before to the UK: whether terrestrial or satellite) or not.
    I was astounded by the level of repeats on satellite channels - not just on Sky, but on FX, Comedy central and the others, too.
    While the BBC1, BBC2, C4 and ITV managed about 50% new material - excluding news programmes, ALL the satellite channels in Sky's basic package added about another one of the "big 4's" worth of new material in hours per week, between the lot of them.
    IIRC, sometimes CC had less than 2 hours of new content in a week and FX wasn't far behind.

And then there was the question about programme quality :o
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,544
    Forum Member
    delete
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused... You say 96% of Sky1 will be 96% stuffed with repeats, does that mean it's only 92.16% repeats?
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is more to Sky than Sky 1 — Sky Atlantic, Sky Arts 1 and 2, Sky Living, films, sport (including ever F1 race live) and the ability to receive dozens of other channels plus loads of programmes and films in Sky Movies on Demand and Catch-up.

So a man stands in a shopping centre press ganging people to sign up to Sky? There are also people selling double glazing, solar panels, wills and all manner of things including chuggers. Do you have to buy from or donate to them — No, the choice is yours!

There are so many programmes on over the Christmas holiday period that will clash with others and with Sky+ I can watch the recordings I have on my box on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, in fact so many recorded I will be spoilt for choice, with most in HD too.

I cannot understand people on here calling Sky a rip-off. You can see what you are subscribing too, it is not a secret kept under wraps for only subscribers to see.

It is like saying an i-phone is a rip off when the only thing you would use it for is to make a phone call and you can do that with a £15 one in the local discount store that will do the same thing. Is anyone insisting you buy an i-phone just to make basic calls.

So just stop moaning and just do not subscribe, you have a choice. Sky must be doing something right as they have plenty of subscribers many staying with them many years.

It started years ago when all one read on forums were the ugly satellite dishes on peoples houses and how they would never have one on their house. Many since those days many have obviously changed their minds. In the same way when mobile phones started, nobody wanted a phone mast anywhere near them, now nearly everyone has them, they moan about not-spots and how they cannot get a signal where they live.

If you do not like what Sky offer, just do not subscribe, nobody is making you, so it cannot be classed as a rip-off.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky one is defo not a great channel any more.

Ones I like most are

Fox
    Syfy
    Discovery
    Nat Geo
    H2

Most the others are on freeview or free I watch.
    Only really have Sky for the HD and the + and they gave me a new 2tb box free when my last one broke a few months back so might as well stay subbed till the contract runs out.
    I have lots on the planner so box really does get its use.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
    Forum Member
    I lost my Sky subscription when OnDigital folded. I asked about satellite TV but they insisted that the installer connected it to a phone outlet. When I told them I don't have a landline they said no Sky TV for me! Well I see it when I visit my sister and the amount of ads on the Sky channels is unreal. I find banal adverts irritating and TV is not supposed to irritate surely. Anyway just Freeview for me now - and this thread tells me that I am not missing much by losing my subscription.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I lost my Sky subscription when OnDigital folded. I asked about satellite TV but they insisted that the installer connected it to a phone outlet. When I told them I don't have a landline they said no Sky TV for me!.

they lied to you.
    you could have opted out of the mandatory telephone connection (assuming you weren't going for multiroom).
    and the amount of ads on the Sky channels is unreal.

it's no more or less than any other channel. all within the current restrictions with regards to ads.
    Anyway just Freeview for me now - and this thread tells me that I am not missing much by losing my subscription.

that's the beauty, no-one is forcing anyone to subscribe to anything.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    There is more to Sky than Sky 1 — Sky Atlantic, Sky Arts 1 and 2, Sky Living, films, sport (including ever F1 race live) and the ability to receive dozens of other channels plus loads of programmes and films in Sky Movies on Demand and Catch-up.

Though to get the sports and films you may have to pay more.

But for the £20. you do get little new stuff in return. Especially home produced product, which costs more an hour than imports have read in the past.

Threads like this serve to remind us how good the hated (by some) BBC LF is. :D
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    they lied to you.
    you could have opted out of the mandatory telephone connection (assuming you weren't going for multiroom).

it's no more or less than any other channel. all within the current restrictions with regards to ads.

that's the beauty, no-one is forcing anyone to subscribe to anything.

Exactly - don' t like em ? ..then fk the subsciption and use the satellite dish as a wok :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Threads like this serve to remind us how good the hated (by some) BBC LF is. :D

One important difference being no one has to subscribe to Sky if they want to watch what's on their TVs........and on we go ;-)
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I gave up Sky last year after being with them for over a decade and never looked back.

I used to like documentaries, factual programme and science, and so had the Knowledge pack. However all of the discovery channels started showing scripted 'reality' programmes and passing them of as history and science. What good programmes they did have they repeated so many times I could in total fact repeat the whole script.

I now shamelessly download the few programmes I want to see.

I do agree that Sky 1 is dire and hardly a flagship channel. It's just cheap shit that costs very little to serve up to their lowest paying customers. They change more for sports and movie and then charge you more yet again if to dared to actually want it in HD.

Yes, they are out to fleece people so they are best avoided.