Options

best bait for a mouse trap.

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
I have just found a little mouse in my living room.. and i am going to buy a couple of traps
what is the best bait to use??? i have been told chocolate. cheese, sultana's. any advice / thanks..

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Chocolate is apparently the best
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Chocolate is apparently the best

OK thanks plain or milk ?? or either? thanks..
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather randomly, I tried some bits of Wispa bar in a couple of traps I had and ended up catching two of the mice I had in my flat, so might be worth trying that.
  • Options
    fornowagainfornowagain Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Peanut Butter. Seriously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

This!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

have some left, so the bait will be set... hate bloody mice..
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've found that's the best in the past, also bacon fat, although when we had a problem in an old property, we used humane traps, and used the peanut butter/bacon fat, to lure them in....
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peanut butter
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This!

That!

(on chocolate, could you use organic/fair-trade stuff to see if you've got posh mice?)
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Something soft and sticky - peanut butter, chocolate spread, etc. The mouse can't grab it and run off. It has to stay at the trap to eat it, and is more likely to get snapped!
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Winterwatch that was on the Beeb recently they left out three bowls of food to see which the mice preferred. They ignored the fruit and cheese and pretty much emptied the bowl of peanuts.

So looks like peanuts (or peanut butter as mentioned above) may work best
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was going to say peanut butter but see it's been mentioned already - also cut up mars bars
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could go "nuclear" and smear peanut butter over a chunk of Snickers bar.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I lived in a flat that has a terrible mouse problem. Although traps + poison would kill them, you've still got to deal with the results - and more mice would arrive to replace them (also it's not very humane). I found the best solution was to get a cat. Although the cat will occasionally present you with a dead mouse, mainly their presence seems to just scare the mice away.
  • Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely peanut butter. Worked better than anything else we tried.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried cheese for days with no luck then read about chocolate and peanut butter so I tried them together. 2 days later a very happy mouse so reluctant to leave the trap we had to leave it open in the field so it could leave in its own time. So definitely go with chocolate and peanut butter.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McVities Snickers Flapjacks work the best for me. They've got peanuts, chocolate, caramel and rolled oats all together. They seem to tick all the box for the pesky little creatures, plus they are cheap 65p for a packet of 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for all reply's... buying the traps in morning, £5 for two.. seems every wicks store in the country has sold out of them..
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snickers
  • Options
    red_amberred_amber Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK thanks plain or milk ?? or either? thanks..

Why don't you ask the mouse which it prefers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    red_amber wrote: »
    Why don't you ask the mouse which it prefers?

lol.........i try the pound shop...:)
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a mouse problem in previous flat. Discovered it whilst taking out the bin bags, put it down to close flat door, mouse scurried out of it and disappeared. Freaked me the heck out.... in a manly way of course. Ebayed a couple of those springy, teethy, break their necks type of traps. Right bitch to set up as they are very sensitive, but when you get them set they worked like a dream and I caught a few of them quite easily (chocolate and peanuts). Until that evening, that awful evening when I heard another SNAP from the kitchen to signify another kill :yay:, then a squeeking and a scraping and more squeeking. :eek: The trap had snapped down on the mouse's leg and it was dragging it across the floor. I've blanked the rest out, thankfully, but afterwards I went the humane see-saw type traps route and they came with the peanut scent included. That one worked well just as well. :)
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ended up with a mouse in the house twice and in a garage once. The traps were pre-baited with something that looked like chocolate so when I got the first mouse and wanted to replenish the bait I used Nutella simply because it looked like the baited stuff and it was in the cupboard. Worked a treat.

Always use Nutella now.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    thanks for all reply's... buying the traps in morning, £5 for two.. seems every wicks store in the country has sold out of them..

We've got a mouse infestation at work at the moment. According to the pest controller this is the most common time of year for them to move in. It doesn't help when people bring in cakes and stuff before Christmas and don't clear everything up before they go on leave. Mouse droppings and urine trials everywhere, though not on my desk because, unlike at home which it's clutter central, my desk is always left clear when I go home at night.

Yes, peanut butter seems to be the way to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    We've got a mouse infestation at work at the moment. According to the pest controller this is the most common time of year for them to move in. It doesn't help when people bring in cakes and stuff before Christmas and don't clear everything up before they go on leave. Mouse droppings and urine trials everywhere, though not on my desk because, unlike at home which it's clutter central, my desk is always left clear when I go home at night.

Yes, peanut butter seems to be the way to go.

thank goodness i have not got rats..