Router not working properly

Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently bought a new desktop computer which has Windows 8.1 installed and silly me didn't check first to see if it was compatible with my router. Anyway, every time I log on to the internet it runs very slow for a short period of time then stops. Sometimes I see a message saying limited internet access. I think it’s a problem with the router which is a TG582N one. Although, it seems to work fine with my old computer which is running Windows 7. I have searched online for a solution but nothing’s worked so far. I've also done everything it says on this page, but still no luck. I have messaged Tesco broadband technical support, but have heard nothing back yet. So, I was wondering if anyone on here's had a similar problem. Thanks.

Comments

• kevin88kevin88 Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is very strange for the router to be incompatible as there is no drivers for a wireless router. i think the problem might be just down to your router Technicolor are not very good routers you are better getting a TP-Link or Netgear as they will be work better any how.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just checked the Windows Compatibility Centre and it is supposed to be compatible with 8.1. After googling, though, it seems that a few other people have had problems too. I also have an Android tablet and Windows 7 laptop and the router works fine with them.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have plusnets technicolor router it was a absolute nightmare on windows 8.1 i went and got this router http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/cable-wireless-routers/tp-link-tl-wdr3600-wireless-cable-router-n600-dual-band-text-duplicated-21341801-pdt.html#cat-0 and have had no issues since using it.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't rate these routers. A relative of mine got two (same ISP, separate home and business connections) and the wifi appears to be broken out of the box. It claims it is on and SSID broadcasting is enabled, but it either doesn't show up at all, or only appears for a brief second before disappearing again.

Replacing the router with a Netgear (that they just happened to have around) fixed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been using the router that Tesco Broadband sent me. I didn't realise that you could use any. I have an old Sky router in a cupboard somewhere, so could I use that or do they send them out to be configured to their network only?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just been using the router that Tesco Broadband sent me. I didn't realise that you could use any. I have an old Sky router in a cupboard somewhere, so could I use that or do they send them out to be configured to their network only?

You probably can't use the Sky router (it depends on the model), but you can buy any ADSL router (if it's not fibre) from somewhere like Amazon and configure it for use with Tesco, you may have to ask them for the right username and password to configure it with unless they have already told you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard back from Tesco yet. When I do and if they can't do anything, how easy would it be to set up my own router if I bought one?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard back from Tesco yet. When I do and if they can't do anything, how easy would it be to set up my own router if I bought one?

Basically all you have to do is copy the configuration settings from the current router into the new router. Basically any user name and password the router uses to log onto the Tesco broadband service and any other settings in the WAN/Internet section.

It would make things slightly easier if you also copied the WiFi details, ie SSID name and security type and password. That saves having to go round everything that connects wirelessly and changing their set-ups.

You will have to do all this manually. So probably easiest to log into the set up of the current router and go through all the various config pages and take screen shots of each one. Then hook up the new router and log into it's set up and use the screen shots to change the settings as necessary. The biggest problem may be if the two routers use different terminology to describe what is essentially the same thing. But most things ought to be the same, but not necessarily in the same order.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my experience of the TGwhatever, it won't actually give you the password very easily, but it will show the username.

The password may be the same as the one you gave them or it may even be that any password will work, but I have never tried to set a router up with Tesco so have no idea.

Most of today's routers are able to work out most of the settings but they will need the username/password
  • lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some ISP's allow you to use your own equipment, other's don't (or are not happy about it). PlusNet supply connection details on their website and passwords and SSID for their router are supplied on a card when you receive it from them.

Brian
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I've now moved the router a bit nearer to the computer and it's been showing three bars instead of the usual one or two, and it's only stopped once this morning. :p
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I've now moved the router a bit nearer to the computer and it's been showing three bars instead of the usual one or two, and it's only stopped once this morning. :p

Why not use a wired connection if what you're using is a desktop? That would provide a stable and faster connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Why not use a wired connection if what you're using is a desktop? That would provide a stable and faster connection.

Agree with zx50. It could be the WiFi that is dropping out not the router connection to the internet. If the router and desktop are close together then there is no point using WiFi a cable would be better.

WiFi is useful for laptops and tablets etc that you carry around the place but for a static machine (as most desktops usually are) it is only really useful if the PC and router are well separated and running a cable would be a pain.

But if the PC and router are within a few feet of each other and the cable doesn't have to trail across the floor or across a doorway then run a bit of cable instead,

Then if the connection keeps dropping out you know its the router or your line or the ISP. But if it is rock solid you know it's the WiFi that was causing your problems.

And lets face it a length of ethernet cable is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new router :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cable I have isn't all that long and I also have to traipse it across the carpet. I've tested it out and moved it all nearer to the computer and both work the same. A lot better nearer to the computer. I've got four bars up now, but might as well leave it without the cable.

Edit: I've now moved all the wiring as far away from the computer as I can with the Ethernet cable still connected and it's gone down to three bars again. I think the further I move it away and the worse it becomes, whether the cable is connected or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cable I have isn't all that long and I also have to traipse it across the carpet. I've tested it out and moved it all nearer to the computer and both work the same. A lot better nearer to the computer. I've got four bars up now, but might as well leave it without the cable.
    For testing purposes running the cable across the carpet would be OK. temporarily It will at least tell you if the problems are WiFi or broadband related.

If you get the same result on a cable as WiFi then that suggests a broadband problem, either a dodgy router or line. A cable run round the room would still be the better option but I can understand why you might prefer to use WiFi instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Edit: I've now moved all the wiring as far away from the computer as I can with the Ethernet cable still connected and it's gone down to three bars again. I think the further I move it away and the worse it becomes, whether the cable is connected or not.

When you connect via cable turn the WiFi off on the PC completely so you are not using it. Use just the cable connection alone otherwise you are not certain which link you are using. That way you can reliably tell whether it is the WiFi playing silly games or the router.

If you have both WiFi and cable connected and active at the same time you can't really be certain what is going on so only use one or the other at a time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    For testing purposes running the cable across the carpet would be OK. temporarily It will at least tell you if the problems are WiFi or broadband related.

If you get the same result on a cable as WiFi then that suggests a broadband problem, either a dodgy router or line. A cable run round the room would still be the better option but I can understand why you might prefer to use WiFi instead.

I would just prefer the wifi because the phone socket is near a window and I don't really want my computer there. I also have a dog and I don't want her having to keep walking over the wires or playing with them. Also, just read your latest post and will now turn wifi off. :p
  • lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would just prefer the wifi because the phone socket is near a window and I don't really want my computer there. I also have a dog and I don't want her having to keep walking over the wires or playing with them. Also, just read your latest post and will now turn wifi off. :p

You can get good quality long ethernet cables quite cheaply.

If I ever get fibre at my location I plan a run of around 25 metres - round the walls of my living room then directly through the wall to the back room (where the computer is) and then up and over a door. Cable "tacked" to the wall so nothing on the floor.

Brian
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tested the cable on it's own and it does work better, I know because when | turned wifi back on and removed the cable I could only get two bars again and it took longer to load the pages. Tesco got back to me earlier and also mentioned testing the cable and so I will relate this back to them as well.