Options

Junior Doctors : Your Life In Their Hands ( BBC 3 24/01/12 )

Comments

• Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's back.

Enjoyed the first two series so hopefully this will be as good.
    It was.

Great start to the new series.
    And the new Docs seemed very good, Tom seemed to be good with Patients, as was Oli....but Jen looked as if she's been a Doctor for years, very confident ....but the Italian, Ed, back to Year One, after just three days....it must be difficult to come from another Country, but only three days to adapted, he didn't.
  • Options
    ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe I forgot this was on. Will have to catch it on iplayer later.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did not know it was on until I read this thread(thanks) so saw it on catch up TV and I liked it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Glad its back. I havent seen it yet but the previous ones have made me so much more accepting of junior docs. In fact last time I was in hospital I was very good and let a junior doc put in a thing in my arm. Hurt like hell and didnt work but at least I let her try lol
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ex bf introduced me to this series with its first [though I missed the second - and I don't feel like watching the whole series on catch-up atm].

Saw episode one of series 3 on iPlayer yesterday and I liked it.

Tom's coolio [and so camp :p], I felt for him when he kept failing to put the needle in one of his patients' wrists - I would've been mentally kicking myself to 'hurry up, for the patients' sake'!
    And then witnessing his first death on the ward. :(

Jen is very competent and articulate and nice :) - so she's probably gonna hit a provable wall in the next episode or two to 'ground' her abit [if that would be the correct word?]?

Oli. :o He makes me wish I was in hospital more often - it's usually everyone else in my family every other year but!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    It was.

Great start to the new series.
    And the new Docs seemed very good, Tom seemed to be good with Patients, as was Oli....but Jen looked as if she's been a Doctor for years, very confident ....but the Italian, Ed, back to Year One, after just three days....it must be difficult to come from another Country, but only three days to adapted, he didn't.

It must have been a massive culture shock for Ed in a different country and medical system. His English was excellent but he also had to cope with patients speaking Scouse!

It's interesting how some of the junior doctors take to it like a duck to water while others have a breakdown. I have a friend who came top of her year in medical school but only survived a few months a junior doctor as she couldn't cope with the stress of working on the wards - while others thrive on it. She's now a medical researcher and is doing really well now that she doesn't have to deal with sick people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Episode 2.....9pm.
  • Options
    Lola UKLola UK Posts: 3,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the girls looks so much like kate middleton!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 episodes in now out of 6! I'm warming to the new doctors now but I think it's flagging a bit behind last year's series? I found it much more gripping but I'm still enjoying this year's also.
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lola UK wrote: »
    One of the girls looks so much like kate middleton!

I think you mean Jen. ;) Yeah, I can see it.

Another good ep. Tom's rhyme about menopause to Emily :D:p And his admirer, heh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dory353 wrote: »
    3 episodes in now out of 6! I'm warming to the new doctors now but I think it's flagging a bit behind last year's series? I found it much more gripping but I'm still enjoying this year's also.
    We need someone's hair catching fire....oh that did happen last night...Emily's hair.:eek:....and Jen's Birthday too.

Liked the Fortune Teller with Tom, Kiera's stitching looked good...and the alcoholics of Liverpool, sad wherever it is.

Plus, how did Ed get his Job over here.:confused:
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be really hard for the first years having to just get on with it. They are thrown in the deep end most of the time.
    All the drink problems is very upsetting to see now matter where it is. The man begging for his life asking the doctor not to let him die, gosh, awful to hear.
    I know they are only young and need to wind down and enjoy their life but if I was watching people dying because of drink, I doubt if I would ever touch a drop of it like the doctors seem to. I find that very odd to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It must be really hard for the first years having to just get on with it. They are thrown in the deep end most of the time.
    All the drink problems is very upsetting to see now matter where it is. The man begging for his life asking the doctor not to let him die, gosh, awful to hear.
    I know they are only young and need to wind down and enjoy their life but if I was watching people dying because of drink, I doubt if I would ever touch a drop of it like the doctors seem to. I find that very odd to be honest.
    But that is what Doctors have always been like...

The things Doctors use to promote .....:eek:
  • Options
    ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was amazed the Italian guy said he'd been in medical school in Italy for 7 years, and then only worked covering the local GP at weekends. I wonder if he has always found things difficult to learn, or do all Italian medical students do 7 years in med school.

It amazes me watching the junior doctors struggling to take blood. Why on earth don't they get to spend a week with a phlebotomist so that they at least know at what angle to put the needle, instead of just stabbing the patient with the needle, hoping they'll hit a vein. They should learn that you need to prick the skin with the needle on it's side and then slide the needle along the vein, making sure that the hole in the needle is vein side down.

Ps. I'm not, nor ever was, a phlebotomist, but as a midwife I used to take blood from pregnant women on a daily basis. If I, or the other midwives, had made more than one attempt the consultant would have "had our guts for garters"
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It must have been a massive culture shock for Ed in a different country and medical system. His English was excellent but he also had to cope with patients speaking Scouse!

I am really enjoying this 3rd series and feel great empathy for Ed. He was obviously not using all his knowledge and skills in his previous job in a rural community in Italy and to then throw yourself into a new country, a busy city hospital and the wide variety of accents and loaded expectations....blimey! Look forward to seeing him grow with confidence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was amazed the Italian guy said he'd been in medical school in Italy for 7 years, and then only worked covering the local GP at weekends. I wonder if he has always found things difficult to learn, or do all Italian medical students do 7 years in med school.

It amazes me watching the junior doctors struggling to take blood. Why on earth don't they get to spend a week with a phlebotomist so that they at least know at what angle to put the needle, instead of just stabbing the patient with the needle, hoping they'll hit a vein. They should learn that you need to prick the skin with the needle on it's side and then slide the needle along the vein, making sure that the hole in the needle is vein side down.

Ps. I'm not, nor ever was, a phlebotomist, but as a midwife I used to take blood from pregnant women on a daily basis. If I, or the other midwives, had made more than one attempt the consultant would have "had our guts for garters"

I do not know anything about the training of a doctor, but surely one year of their studies or add an extra year should be a placement in a hospital, where they get hands on practice to learn and watch the professionals.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO, I do think the junior doctors should actually shadow a consultant or senior medic for at least a week, maybe two.
    I find it staggering that some of them struggle to get b lood samples but as they say, practice makes perfect. No doubt if I were in their position, I would be the same. They are morethan likely afraid to hurt the patient.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ive been in hospitals more than Id care to in the last four years both for myself with heart ops to my late brother having chemo and radiotherapy as an in patient for three months. You would be surprised how many staff were unable to get blood and had to give it up after a couple of attempts. Its not a criticism of them as they do a good job but I think the wards should have a phlebo at their disposal to get the job done to the satisfaction of all.
  • Options
    ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the wards should have a phlebo at their disposal to get the job done to the satisfaction of all.

Our local hospital has at least 4 phlebotomists who do rounds every day, but whether they are available to take urgent bloods I don't know. I know when I was waiting in path lab to have bloods taken by one of the other 4 or so phlebotomists on duty, I saw the ones who were going to the wards with a trolley each, full of the equipment they would need.

Even our GP employs 2 phlebotomists, so there's no shortage of them.
  • Options
    RockyRaccoon68RockyRaccoon68 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    They have to learn but the show exaggerates the struggles and the degree to which they are "thrown in at the deep end."

In reality they shadow the previous years junior doctors during their final year at medical school and for the first years there is a structured chain of escalation and it is generally a lot easier to get senior help than the show makes out. If they studied in Liverpool, which I suspect most of them probably did, they shadow for at least 24 weeks in final year of medical school.

With regards to phlebotomy and cannulas, they may struggle a bit at first but without the practice on patients that aren't unwell what are they going to do when acutely unwell patients need IV access or urgent bloods taken? After the first few months the junior doctors are the best people in the hospital at taking bloods, they have to do all the ones that the phlebotomists can't get. Some people have very very difficult veins and IMO it's rather unfair of the show to make them out to be incompetent when it might be a case of the procedure being more difficult than usual.

notin wrote: »
    I do not know anything about the training of a doctor, but surely one year of their studies or add an extra year should be a placement in a hospital, where they get hands on practice to learn and watch the professionals.

Most medical degrees in the UK have three years spent on placement in hospital, although there perhaps isn't as much emphasis on procedures as there should be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tristan is fantastic with his patients and I really like him, reminds me of Lucy in last year's series and how kind and caring she was towards her patients. I think Emily is very competent also.
  • Options
    don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I think they are all likeable except Olli. There is something about him that I find difficult to pinpoint, perhaps a bit self important?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure that although this program does seem to highlight the difficulties of taking bloods it does show that these young doctors are very empathetic towards their patients in caring to get it done without pain and as quickly as possible, is a great positive. I really enjoy watching their progress and think they are very brave taking part in a show that will allow the public to scrutinise their every move and decision. Good luck to them all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know where I can watch series 1 of this show online? It's not on BBC player? Would really like to see it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it funny Keira seems to have nothing to do with the rest of them other than happening to be in the same programme as them! I mean this could be the case, this series is different in the sense not all of them are living together in the house

Jen is definately my favourite. She's determined and very good at her job