Options

RIP . . do people actually think?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't mention anything about atheism.... I don't know what they believe in.

You can't be serious. A-theism, no belief in a deity.

Did you even read a single word of the quoted piece? You said -
    I don't personally believe the universe exploded from nothing for no reason and accidentally created everything including intelligent life with no purpose.

The obvious implication being that is what those who don't share your faith 'believe'.

Number 3 on the previously linked & quoted piece is about this specific mischaracterisation.

http://secularist10.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Myths-and-Fallacies-about-Atheism
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    You can't be serious. A-theism, no belief in a deity.

Did you even read a single word of the quoted piece? You said -

The obvious implication being that is what those who don't share your faith 'believe'.

So you do believe you popped into existence by accident with no purpose? :confused:

Thats fine if you do, I just dont....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you do believe you popped into existence by accident with no purpose? :confused:

Thats fine if you do, I just dont....

"Thats fine if you do" - and you just did it again. Read the quoted piece again.

You said
    I don't personally believe the universe exploded from nothing for no reason and accidentally created everything including intelligent life with no purpose.

Clearly, the implication being this is what 'the other side' 'believes'

I'll quote the piece once again.
    Read the heading carefully. Myths and fallacies about atheism.

Top 10 Myths and Fallacies about Atheism

3. Atheists believe the universe was created out of nothing

Many theists oddly claim that atheists believe “something came from nothing.” In fact, many (if not most) atheists and agnostics believe reality is eternal and uncreated. There is nobody serious who literally thinks that something can arise from nothing.

This fallacy once again stems from the theistic viewpoint. Christians, Muslims and others believe reality has a beginning, and was created by God. So when they learn that atheists do not believe in God, they imagine substituting "nothing" for "God." In the absence of God there is nothing, so they mistakenly assume atheists believe something (reality) came from nothing.

This hidden theistic assumption produces leading questions like “if you don’t believe in God, then where did everything come from?” This question assumes that things "came from" somewhere.

http://secularist10.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Myths-and-Fallacies-about-Atheism
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    "Thats fine if you do" - and you just did it again. Read the quoted piece again.

You said

Clearly, the implication being this is what 'the other side' 'believes'

I'll quote the piece once again.

Ok I think I understand what you're saying now, it was the exploded from nothing thing.
    But you still believe you are here by accident with no purpose?

I dont know what atheist people believe in. So all the people in the world who don't believe in god are atheist? and they all have the same beliefs on the origins of the universe? is it a club with rules?
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    You are wrong. Last August my dear Dad died. His old clock had not been working for a long time. Day after Dad died his clock started working and still works today. Also a few weeks after Dad died, I heard foot steps in the hall. I go up went into the kitchen and where he used to smoke his pipe, there was smoke.
    Who knows? When I died in 2003 during a big operation I saw and spoke to my dear Mom who died in 1992. I then woke up 10 days later after the operation. I told everyone what happened even Mr Edwards what he said during my operation:co
    Condolences on the loss of your dad - it sounds like he, and your mum, are still beside you though xxxxxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok I think I understand what you're saying now, it was the exploded from nothing thing.
    But you still believe you are here by accident with no purpose?

I dont know what atheist people believe in. So all the people in the world who don't believe in god are atheist? and they all have the same beliefs on the origins of the universe? is it a club with rules?

You can't say existence is accidental, there is simply not enough information to draw a conclusion about any process involved. It might have been an inevitability.
    'Purpose', no, at least not in the way believers think of one.

Atheism. A-theism. Not believing in a god. Yes, everyone who doesn't believe in a god is an a-theist. Agnostics (a-gnosis) aren't sure, but can simultaneously be a-theist.

As for your last point, there's the smugness again. Of course they might differ on many other matters, but will typically eschew 'beliefs' in favour of evidence based theories.
    The 'something from nothing' fallacy is a believer's mischaracterisation of the big bang theory as an absolute point of origin akin to their genesis.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's as much an expression about respecting how they were when they were living. Such as bless them they were a wonderful person/ had a good heart, or they didn't deserve to suffer so much.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well rest in peace doesn't have to denote an afterlife, if someone suffered terribly from cancer right up until their death they are technically now at peace either way. No longer in pain, they have been released from it.

The OP seems to have a major problem with other people's opinions however.

People don't have to "realise it's nonsense" that is your opinion, doesn't make it fact and doesn't make anybody else wrong.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I particularly loathe #RiP on Twitter.

I would like to express my condolences in 140 characters or less.
  • Options
    hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't be in any form of afterlife on the basis of the fact that there is absolutely no tangible evidence whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned, it's party time for the little worms.

However, I do use RIP occasionally. To me, it's just a common mark of respect to someone who meant something to you. It's actual meaning has become slightly unimportant, it's like the old tradition of doffing your cap to a funeral cortège. It's just a way of showing compassion.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hackjo wrote: »
    I don't be in any form of afterlife on the basis of the fact that there is absolutely no tangible evidence whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned, it's party time for the little worms.

However, I do use RIP occasionally. To me, it's just a common mark of respect to someone who meant something to you. It's actual meaning has become slightly unimportant, it's like the old tradition of doffing your cap to a funeral cortège. It's just a way of showing compassion.

It is simply a mark of respect. :)

No one is more skeptical of religion than me but I use the word RIP whenever I mention Christopher Hitchens for example.

Funerals throughout history and today are simply a way for the living to cope with their loss and to help people to process the death of a loved one.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The letters RIP seem to be used so readily both by people who know someone who's died and people responding to the death of someone they don't actually know.

But do people realise it's nonsense to state RIP?

The person is dead and no more. Their living existence has come to an end and all that is left is a decomposing organic shell. There is no 'rest in peace'. There is nothing.

There is no 'rest'. Death is not an extended kip - it's the end of living.

And as for 'peace', a person who is dead is just that . . dead. No peace, no torment . . just nothing.

Its called being respectful of the person who has died, is there really a problem with someone saying Rest In Peace, does it have to be debated on a what happens after you die basis, can people not just be allowed to be respectful and left to do that without being lectured on why they should not say it ?

You may as well say why have a funeral , they are dead and gone just shove the body out with the rubbish. Its about respect and people saying good bye.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The letters RIP seem to be used so readily both by people who know someone who's died and people responding to the death of someone they don't actually know.

The person is dead and no more. Their living existence has come to an end and all that is left is a decomposing organic shell. There is no 'rest in peace'. There is nothing.

And as for 'peace', a person who is dead is just that . . dead. No peace, no torment . . just nothing.

I agree with you, I find it overused and without much sentiment as people attempt to share their grief about usually someone famous but whom they didn't know. I think it probably started with Princess Diana maybe? Perhaps later when social media was more popular. I went to London for a meeting and saw all these people grieving and I didn't understand. I feel grief for the loss of my grandparents, my in laws, my child but a famous person? RIP has become a deathly LOL. The very least we can do is to share a memory of that person even if it was that we watched them on television or we thank the D-Day soliders for our freedom - anything tangible is better than a quickly typed and barely recalled RIP.
  • Options
    MP3_4_LifeMP3_4_Life Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Is this a thinly disguised "There's no such thing as heaven" thread? :D

Probably lol
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't like the word.
    It just seems to me like an awfully depressing statement.
    Don't ask me why, it's just a gut thing that I feel.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't want the dead come back to haunt them.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member

Been there have you? Speaking from personal experience? No? Thought not
  • Options
    Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These religious folk really like telling people off, don't they?
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These religious folk really like telling people off, don't they?

They do, don't they.

Eh, Maid?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People use it without thinking/meaning. Its about as significant as saying Bless You when someone sneezes.
    More curious is why people with no religious affiliation would choose a church funeral. I played the organ for one such this week, it was utterly dismal as the mourners grief was multiplied by their unfamiliarity with what was going on and evident discomfort with the church setting. The deceased was irreligious too as was made plain in the tributes.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I do believe there is life after death.

I have tried to apply the OP's sentiments to my beliefs but it created a conundrum for me. If they are right and I am wrong, when I die, that will be it-nothing more. However, what if I am right? What will they say when they die and it's not the end?

Whoops!!

:o
  • Options
    Janet29Janet29 Posts: 22,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

its not nonesense.........comeback when you are older and you understand what it is like to have lost a loved one
  • Options
    Janet29Janet29 Posts: 22,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    I particularly loathe #RiP on Twitter.

I would like to express my condolences in 140 characters or less.

it as to be genuine or it loses all meaning......i know what you mean
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please don't patronise me J29 - you know nothing about me and my experiences of bereavement.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rest - this just 'softens the blow' that the physical body is in dissolution. The dead certainly aren't busy or dancing or anything.

Peace - this expresses the idea that suffering is over, that no more trouble or pain or torment can come their way.

None of it seems particularly Christian - it's not - 'be with God in his glory' or anything.

It's a kind phrase, sort of human and decent.

It has LONG been overused to the point of humour though, I remember the Mad cartoons and all the old Tom and Jerry ones even used it.

However it's a perfectly kind and decent thing to say to those who cared for the person lost.

I don't know what all this fuss is about.