Tigers about the house

124»

Comments

• La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this trio of programmes. I hope we get an update on how they're all getting on soon. :cool:

Interesting to compare the different methods of keeping tigers captive in different countries. At Longleat they don't handle Tigers and big cats closely in the same way, and they remain essentially 'wild' when interacting with people, mainly through enclosure bars, or in a moving van dispatching meat.

Also no declawing as the Lion Man in NZ did to his cats before he was shut down as they were so unhealthy.

There never seemed a possibility that any human would be attacked and killed, the Tigers were always chilled at the Aussie Zoo, amazing really, and beautiful to see. They all looked so healthy and their fur sheen too, and were obviously happy creatures. :)
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Tejas wrote: »
    I watched all three programmes and enjoyed them thoroughly. Whilst I'm a bit unsure about some of the ways the zoo acts with the tigers, I am totally convinced that they do what they do out of pure love and compassion for the animals. The amount of money they raise to support tiger conservation in Sumatra is also pretty much impossible to argue with!

As for those saying the tigers should be in the wild, in an ideal world they would be, but sadly the world is far from ideal and without these captive breeding programmes and the dedication of wonderful people like Giles, soon there would be no tigers left at all. At least the zoo is using its tigers to educate more people about their plight and the money they make is donated to help protect the few that are left in the wild from poachers.
    Agree - a hugely enjoyable three part doc, which was also, very informative.
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just watched the first one earlier on Catch up , really great stuff
    Should have watched the second two , instead of the England game,sigh
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in a wheelchair so that probably rules me out even more, cats (and dogs) are usually afraid of my wheelchair at first so maybe a tiger would see me as a threat and try and attack me, I think I'll pass.

Though they are probably used to the small buggy thing that they use for moving things around the zoo so a wheelchair might seem similar to them. A bigger problem might that a wheelchair could be slower to move out of the enclosure if anything went wrong.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    There never seemed a possibility that any human would be attacked and killed, the Tigers were always chilled at the Aussie Zoo, amazing really, and beautiful to see. They all looked so healthy and their fur sheen too, and were obviously happy creatures. :)
    That's what made the series really stand out for me, those tigers all looked so chilled, healthy and happy!
    I watched with open mouth when Giles picked up one of the newborns to make sure he was getting mum's milk, normally any mum-cat would tear you to pieces for doing that.

Fantastic programme altogether - I hope other wildlife parks will learn from this.
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched episode 1 and it left a bad taste. Why were they already filming, pre-birth? Did they know he was to raise them? Why did he need to be in the cage with her at all for the birth (prior to the feeding issue)? As for the actual removal of the cubs, it certainly seemed the editing and narration were very deceptive. They mentioned survival rate in captivity. But that would include the entire world, not just an affluent country with non stop supervision and veterinary care. And it could also include cubs that had been rejected. I would love to have known the odds once a loving mother was thriving in the role.

Regardless, perhaps it really was justified. But riddle me this. If his number one concern is their health and well-being, why expose them and their depleted immune system to a busy house with kids and dogs?

And if the priority is to sell the species to the public, why can't the tv presenter feed them? His kid could.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    According to this weeks Radio Times, there's a new series about Sumatran Tigers on later in the year where Giles and his family go and stay in Sumatra to see the tigers in the wild.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    According to this weeks Radio Times, there's a new series about Sumatran Tigers on later in the year where Giles and his family go and stay in Sumatra to see the tigers in the wild.

I have just watched the first episode, second being tonight. I loved seeing Spot and Stripe again but found the images of the trading of wild animals in Indonesia really heartbreaking.
    Forum Member
    I watched both of the new episodes too, it made me sad and angry at the same time that the stupid poachers get paid £30,000 each time they kill a tiger and for what? Tiger parts have no health benefits whatsoever, despite what the Chinese think.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I watched both of the new episodes too, it made me sad and angry at the same time that the stupid poachers get paid £30,000 each time they kill a tiger and for what? Tiger parts have no health benefits whatsoever, despite what the Chinese think.

It is all so sad. The poor tigers with limbs or part limbs missing and those awful images of all the tiger skins and bits just left by poachers.
    I loved the shots of Giles interacting with Stripe and Spot though and any film that highlights the plight of these and other wild animals can only be good.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sickening isn't it. There's no scientific proof of any benefits whatsoever and yet these stupid, ignorant people continue to encourage barbaric slaughter and exploitation of an innocent species.

I certainly hope it doesn't but often wonder what might happen if the Tiger or Rhino for example actually did become extinct? What's next? Would they then decide a Giraffe (as a random example) has the same unproven miraculous healing qualities and start targeting them. All just so sad.
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    It is all so sad. The poor tigers with limbs or part limbs missing and those awful images of all the tiger skins and bits just left by poachers.
    I loved the shots of Giles interacting with Stripe and Spot though and any film that highlights the plight of these and other wild animals can only be good.

As heart breaking as they are to watch at times, agreed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reclaimed poachers haul of pelts, masks and stuffed paws made me physically sick.

I am glad these programs are made but I found witnessing some scenes very uncomfortable.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    When the West Midland Safari Park was setting up I had the opportunity to be as close to tigers as I'll ever get. I and my family (walking around, it was that new) went. down an unmarked path, turned a corner to find a tráiler with six tigers pacing and fixing on us.

It couldn't have been more clear that they knew something different smelling was approaching them and they were agitated. I walked up to as close as I could, their leg-length through their bars.

I'll never forget that moment. Their power and size, their beauty.
    Forum Member
    I have just discovered that we here in the UK can do our bit to help the Sumatran Tigers that Australia Zoo are helping, the wristbands that they sell are available worldwide and cost 5 Australian Dollars (about £2.50) and all the money goes to helping the tigers. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

https://shop.australiazoo.com.au/wildlife-warriors/souvenirs/1799-wildlife-warriors-tiger-511-wristband
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just discovered that we here in the UK can do our bit to help the Sumatran Tigers that Australia Zoo are helping, the wristbands that they sell are available worldwide and cost 5 Australian Dollars (about £2.50) and all the money goes to helping the tigers. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

https://shop.australiazoo.com.au/wildlife-warriors/souvenirs/1799-wildlife-warriors-tiger-511-wristband

My hubby placed an order from Australia Zoo before Christmas, so I'm the proud owner of the kitchen apron, teatowel and oven glove with a big tiger's face on them :) He also bought the wristbands for us, and I'm really pleased that he's helped such a brilliant cause.

I wish there was more we could do, the programmes have been so lovely and informative, if tough to watch last night.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice for an update on Spot and Stripe, and the conservation programme, but i found this 2 parter rather dull. Tigers featured for about 15 minutes oper episode, and while i didn't mind seeing the elephants and monkeys, far too much time spent on his annoying wife 'coping' with life away from home, and the family trekking through the wilderness.
    I'd rather just see Giles and the tigers.

Disappointing.
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than start a whole new thread, I hope it's okay to pose the following question:

Back in April, this series was advertised as being in 8 episodes, but when episode 4 appeared as '1 of 2' and episode 5 as '2 of 2', it was clear the scheduling had gone a bit awry. No further episodes were shown after that, which makes me wonder what happened to episodes 6, 7 and 8.

Anyone able to shed some light, please?
  • yviebabeyviebabe Posts: 6,050
    Forum Member
    Was that 'Big Cats About the House'? It featured the Big Cat Sanctuary ran by Giles in Kent (which I visited last week as it happens). There were only two episodes.
  • kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    When the West Midland Safari Park was setting up I had the opportunity to be as close to tigers as I'll ever get. I and my family (walking around, it was that new) went. down an unmarked path, turned a corner to find a tráiler with six tigers pacing and fixing on us.

It couldn't have been more clear that they knew something different smelling was approaching them and they were agitated. I walked up to as close as I could, their leg-length through their bars.

I'll never forget that moment. Their power and size, their beauty.

beautiful arent they! I was lucky enough to be a zoo keeper for the day at London Zoo and was given the opportunity to feed a tiger - being as close as one could possible get to a tiger was amazing and quite a privilege too - they are immense, beautiful, power creatures - just the size of one paw made me take a very deep breath and swallow - I was feeding one raw meat on a very long BBQ fork and the keeper told me to poke it through the cage as high up as I could - I did this, not really thinking about it and to see the tiger rear up on its back legs in front of me and thump its paws again the mesh of the cage made me jump - they are huge! but so beautiful - it took the piece of meat in its jaws just like a domestic cat would - so gentle!
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yviebabe wrote: »
    Was that 'Big Cats About the House'? It featured the Big Cat Sanctuary ran by Giles in Kent (which I visited last week as it happens). There were only two episodes.

No, it wasn't that. We saw and enjoyed that too; our daughter had a day at the Big Cat Sanctuary a couple of years ago (courtesy of a gift from her partner), where she shadowed the head keeper, mucking out the animals and feeding them too .. not open on an ad hoc basis, but I think Groupon occasionally has deals for it.

Tigers About the House was a different series altogether. I suppose I should have consulted IMDb first (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3784028/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1), from which I now see that this was a 2014 mini-series shown across two 'seasons', with 3 episodes in season 1 and just 2 episodes in season 2. Perhaps at the time the schedule listings were mistaken in leading us to think there were going to be 8 episodes, because clearly it finishes in season 2.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 02/08/18 - 15:38 #97

Oh wow - you managed to go, I tried to get tickets & actually found it harder to get tickets for than Wimbledon!
  • yviebabeyviebabe Posts: 6,050
    Forum Member

Oh wow - you managed to go, I tried to get tickets & actually found it harder to get tickets for than Wimbledon!

Yes I did, the tickets were a 70th birthday present. Sadly it was so hot the cats were in hiding, and I nearly fainted! I've booked a meet and greet in September so hopefully the cats will be a bit more forthcoming, and I'll meet Maya, Willow and Giles.