Cucumber Banana Tofu

Comments

• rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people keep comparing Cucumber to Looking. Just because they feature gay people doesn't mean they should be comparable. They are completely different styles.

Hear, hear
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me personaly, it's just not the same up here as it is in London or Manchester

Can't disagree with that, since I live in London and have been to both Scotland and Manchester, they are all indeed very different in their attitudes.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people keep comparing Cucumber to Looking. Just because they feature gay people doesn't mean they should be comparable. They are completely different styles.

Of course they're going to compare them. Not least because, before it went to Channel 4, Cucumber was in development with Showtime - one of HBO's rivals in the US. As comedy dramas led by gay characters.

They may be another comparison soon - both shows are under performing (Cucumber massively so), so I don't know how much longer they're for this world …
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chill out it wasn't a direct dig at you.

Then I should appreciate your showing the courtesy of not quoting my posts if you are not directing a comment at me.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Of course they're going to compare them. Not least because, before it went to Channel 4, Cucumber was in development with Showtime - one of HBO's rivals in the US. As comedy dramas led by gay characters.

They may be another comparison soon - both shows are under performing (Cucumber massively so), so I don't know how much longer they're for this world …

I was very surprised Looking got a 2nd series. The first series was very depressing. The 2nd has lightened up a bit but it still isn't great. It's like a random series of events thrown together.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    I think we are going to have to agree to disagree about looking because even as a comedy drama there is a distinct lack of comedy. And as for as storylines well they are probably so dragged out that they seem to just become boring.

I think we will also have to agree to disagree on Cucumber because I can only say I am not getting the same impression as you as I maybe seeing something different. I am not saying I identify with the characters but I know some people like them, I know some of their ways and what we are getting is snapshot of them. There are more episodes in this and there is more to this story. I've seen a whole season of looking to know what that's about, Cucumber has only given us half their story so I am reserving full judgement until then but I am enjoying it (as is my husband).

I do have one question though - not just to you but to everyone castigating cucumber - What actual show should RTD have written, what would have been the cucumber you imagined?

BIB - how about one that was new, rather than something he started work on ten years ago and still features plot points that are hopelessly out of date? How about one where the gay male characters don't spend all their time being bitter, angry and destructive? And, most of all, how about one where the pilot episode creates intrigue about the characters and shows they have layers, rather than have them come across as one-dimensional caricatures?
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me personaly, it's just not the same up here as it is in London or Manchester

Cucumber bears no relation to the way anyone - gay or straight - lives in London or Manchester, either (and I've lived in both). People just don't talk or act the way the wholly unpleasant characters do in the show. It's a crushing disappointment and one I've abandoned. As others have said as well as me, thank goodness for Looking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    BIB - how about one that was new, rather than something he started work on ten years ago and still features plot points that are hopelessly out of date? How about one where the gay male characters don't spend all their time being bitter, angry and destructive? And, most of all, how about one where the pilot episode creates intrigue about the characters and shows they have layers, rather than have them come across as one-dimensional caricatures?

I hate to harp on on this so forgive me this transgression but the same could be said for first episode of Looking. I only continued to the other episodes in teh hope that they would get better. Some of them did but if anyone was to go by that first episode, surely not. And didn't looking also use titillation in its first episode i.e. Patrick going cruising in a park?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Cucumber bears no relation to the way anyone - gay or straight - lives in London or Manchester, either (and I've lived in both). People just don't talk or act the way the wholly unpleasant characters do in the show. It's a crushing disappointment and one I've abandoned. As others have said as well as me, thank goodness for Looking.

How do you know this fact, have you interviewed or met every single gay in those cities?
  • knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first opinion of the show was quite mixed, but I am glad I have stuck with it.

I have found that as it goes on I have become more invested in the characters in Cucumber, as it focuses mainly on the same ones each week. I don't think Cucumber is particularly groundbreaking, but if you take it at face value and do not expect too much realism, it is quite easy to watch and funny at times.

Banana I think has been great focusing on different stories each episode, and I have to say I think that this weeks episode about Helen was fantastic. Touching on two very current and very important subjects, which don't necessarily get a lot of coverage on TV.

I think my enjoyment in both shows has also increased since the first episodes mainly due to Dean being featured less, who I think is a terrible character. I also thought Sian was a right mard arse.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night's Banana made me have a little :cry: . Well acted and despite the massive betrayal by the psycho boyfriend the underlying message that something beautiful can emerge unscathed from a stack of shit in the form of real love was so uplifting.

I think Cucumber is also starting to hit the mark as it explores how people handle sexuality badly. To thine own self be true kinda thing with a particular focus being on the relational context within which sex does or does not take place.

So funny hearing Cleo talking about her rebuilt vage gasping to be put through its paces by Brian. Henry riffed on this theme, too, when he hinted that at some level we often choose partners who enable us to avoid having sex whilst at the same time claiming that sex is what we want lol
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many people still moaning about the show. There is an off switch you know...

Yes true,and it seems most have decided to do just that, 650k is just dreadful for a 9.00 pm expensive drama.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cucumber has really grown on me now, I'm really glad that I've stuck with it. I really want Henry to just have sex and be happy! It's quite frustrating to watch, I hope he overcomes the obstacles and fears he has about sex. I was glad when he managed to hook up with that guy in the end, he seems quite similar to Henry so I hope he helps him relax a little bit!

I'm watching the scenes with Lance and Daniel behind my fingers! It's so awkward to watch and it's going to end so badly - Lance needs to bail out of there and find someone else. I quite like this story, as there are straight guys out there that you lust over and get to really like, but with some straight guys, there is some ambiguity over what they really want and some false hope that they may like you as much as you like them. I've been there and felt like that before. I think anyone who has felt led on or had unrequited feelings can relate to this storyline.

I think Daniel is just a very vain and self absorbed character, who craves attention and enjoys attention, gay or straight and will lead people on to gratify himself. If and when Lance makes a move, I can see Daniel lashing out aggressively and it all ending in tears.

Dean meeting up with those two bears was hilarious :D some great comic moments there with them talking about taping EastEnders!

Oh, and can we please see Andrew Hayden Smith again soon? :D
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any news on the ratings from last night? Can't find an article on the main page.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Any news on the ratings from last night? Can't find an article on the main page.

On the ratings thread was stated it got 650k inc plus 1,which by any measure is dreadful.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    On the ratings thread was stated it got 650k inc plus 1,which by any measure is dreadful.

Oh thank you. I always forget there's a thread.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it but I'm straight so that may account for it! ;)

I'm not watching this expecting documentary level accuracy its a quite deliberately swift moving colourful "dramedy" which is probably how the author would like things to be in a broad sense. A world in which you can be what you are or want to be even if it comes with personal pain.

The role play scenes were great and they contrasted well with Cleo relating her post birth trauma.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you take both cucumber and banana for what they are. Over the top panto, then they are ok. I think this weeks banana was by far the best episode I've seen of either. Like I say both are just over the top comedy programmes. Do I relate to or like any of the characters? Not really. Is the acting and script top notch? Not really. It's all just a bit of light hearted fun for the most part.

As for Looking, for me far more my type of programme. The characters are likeable or at least multi dimensional , you can relate to them either way and the situations just seem far more realistic. It's more drama than comedy and I think that's what it's meant to be. The production values and acting is going to be better because it's HBO. It's just about people working life out.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cucumber has really grown on me now, I'm really glad that I've stuck with it.

Oh, and can we please see Andrew Hayden Smith again soon? :D

Unclothed preferably.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the actress playing Helen a real transexual?
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    I think if you take both cucumber and banana for what they are. Over the top panto, then they are ok. I think this weeks banana was by far the best episode I've seen of either. Like I say both are just over the top comedy programmes. Do I relate to or like any of the characters? Not really. Is the acting and script top notch? Not really. It's all just a bit of light hearted fun for the most part.

As for Looking, for me far more my type of programme. The characters are likeable or at least multi dimensional , you can relate to them either way and the situations just seem far more realistic. It's more drama than comedy and I think that's what it's meant to be. The production values and acting is going to be better because it's HBO. It's just about people working life out.

I couldn't agree more with all of the above. Cucumber is panto-esque. It did grow on me a bit more this week I have to say but a lot of it doesn't seem very grounded in reality for me. I read something before where they said having too many outrageous characters dilutes the effect and that's what I think is happening with Cucumber. Nobody's really grounded enough to use as a comparison to the antics of Dean or Freddie. Like in Queer as Folk, you always had Vince's level headedness to offset Stuart's wildness. But as I said, this week's episode was enjoyable enough so I'll stick with it. The one thing that continues to bug me is the apartment setup. Every week, we get a mention of how they're all managing to live there even if it's a throwaway comment about it being a council scam. It's like Russell T Davies decided to have this set piece apartment and has added mentions of it into the script to justify it in case viewers question why they're all living in such a massive space.

Re: Looking. I love that show. It's not comedy. It's a drama with comic moments. DS have an interesting article here about why half hour shows like Looking and Girls are branded as sitcoms when they're not really sitcoms http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/feature/a625840/half-hour-power-why-the-30-minute-tv-drama-remains-unsung.html#~p4ihFrGZE6u5w4
  • funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,338
    Forum Member
    For the first time this week I enjoyed Cucumber. I do find the characters unlikeable tho.

Saying that Banana is opposite. Have loved all of the episodes and fall I love with the characters each week. The last three weeks especially have been outstanding
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the actress playing Helen a real transexual?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethany_Black
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »

Thanks. Interesting.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    have you interviewed or met every single gay in those cities?

please tell me you don't actually use terms like that with gay people? "Every single gay"... crikey.
This discussion has been closed.