Options

Banished on BBC 2

Comments

• Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    It looks far better conditions than I'm a Celebrity plus nice vicar and Major
    Book me in now

You say a nice vicar, but there is definitely a dark side to him. In the last episode he was acting really freaky when talking about god and witchcraft in relation to that slave woman. And in this latest episode he was again threatening his wife's friendship with the woman.

He stopped a hanging, but I won't be surprised if before this series is over one or two people end up being hanged because of him.
    He's a bit of a fanatic and anyone who says or does anything which goes against his religious beliefs better be very careful indeed.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's starting to feel a bit like Lost. Wonder if we'll see any Polar Bears
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    He certainly doesn't look as if he was about to starve to death any time soon. :kitty:

They should all be looking like Michael Burke did when he was in the Celeb Jungle :o

I am finding this so tense. Love it.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy this more than Poldark

Me too i find Poldark a bit slow.
    I love this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hate for Tovey. Hes a fine actor.
  • Options
    The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love a bit of historical drama. But its being ruined for me by one or two of the actors. It's just so poor it could be their first job out of drama school. Will persevere though as it looks like one of them may be getting lost in the forest never to be seen again.
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it and I like Russell Tovey but it's one of those ones (along with Poldark) that I watch on catch up in my own time - like for instance when I can't sleep (I suffer a bit with insomnia).

I think as someone else said Major Ross can't understand why Sarah wouldn't want him with her being poor and uneducated and a prisoner and him being an Officer, wealthy and her captor. I must admit if I were her I'd be acting all innocent and shy and pretending I liked him to get more food and leniency.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't want that episode to end, fantastic series!

BTW why does the reverend remind me of Judge Rinder :confused::D
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it a little slow at times, for examplel the scene at the start with the boat potentially finding the body really dragged on. Overall I think it is ok though, I wonder if they are going to give Tovey the storyline that matches the real life convict who went and lived with some aboriginals.

I keep waiting for a shark, crocodile. snake or spider to get someone.....
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like Tovey, but it was Ewen Bremner who overacted last night.
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is awful. The convicts carry more respect with the Governor than the soldiers who protect him. Married quarters ha ha ha.

The acting is dreadful too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bratwurzt wrote: »
    This is awful. The convicts carry more respect with the Governor than the soldiers who protect him. Married quarters ha ha ha.

The acting is dreadful too.

Don't watch it then.
  • Options
    Busy_LizzieBusy_Lizzie Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Love it! I didn't want it to end last night either. One of my favourite programmes in a very long time. Wow, I really felt for Russell's character when he had that thing on his arm at the end- his reaction was very believable! Very good acting IMHO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I still can't get over how different David Wenham looks compared to when he played Faramir.
  • Options
    ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hate for Tovey. Hes a fine actor.

Sorry, have to disagree I think he is awful, however I'm enjoying the series a lot as the other performances are fine.
  • Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoL at the prolonged goodbyes on the beach as the body was being brought ashore, before Tovey legged it into the bush, whilst being shot at :D

I think they've missed a trick with this show - when the governer speaks in his Mr. Cholmondeley Warner voice, they should go to black and white with flickering hairs on the screen.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I'm finding the storylines plod on a bit - how long as that bloke been in the water, how long have we been watching the blonde arriving at that tent, the blacksmith saga ...

It's not Jimmy McGovern's finist hour. It's a bit like a prequel to Neighbours but slower.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    p.s. is it me or does the vicar look a bit like a young Pete Postlethwaite?
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't want that episode to end, fantastic series!

BTW why does the reverend remind me of Judge Rinder :confused::D

I think the same :D
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do the prisoners actually do all day? The governor was keen for them to have a day of rest on Sunday but what are they achieving during the week?

Presumably some of them (being fishermen) are actually fishing - or perhaps making a boat to fish from?

Then there are the farmers, who may be getting ground cleared to sow crops?

Apart from that there may be some building going on, for themselves and for future convicts?

It's a bit of a contrast for Russell Tovey to be outside rather than stuck at home (Him and Her) but why his character would take so long to run away once the body had been discovered seems incredible.
  • Options
    zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ditching this series. No wonder they don't have enough food - not seen anybody out fishing or planting anything - let alone 'hunting' for wild animals. (Have they not found a few Koalas sleeping in the trees yet)?

It was quite ridiculous the scene where the soldiers were waving from a rowing boat & it was assumed that the blacksmith's body had been found - so, might as well have the Governor's rum! Then we have the 'graveyard' on the beach. Surely, the real convict 'colony' would not have been so stupid as to bury bodies on a beach prone to erosion - even if they did not have GCSE Geography in those days? Meanwhile, these convicts seem to be totally un-guarded for much of the time.
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »

It's a bit of a contrast for Russell Tovey to be outside rather than stuck at home (Him and Her) but why would his character would take so long to run away once the body had been discovered seems incredible.

He took far too long to make a run for it as you said and that was after he was stood watching them from the beach with a smile on his face making smartarse comments .
    The rest is great drama to my mind but his acting and delivery are just laughable .
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I still can't get over how different David Wenham looks compared to when he played Faramir.

They shot Lord of the Rings in 1999 - sixteen years ago.
    The ravages of time.
  • Options
    LastCBBLastCBB Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by owenmahamilton
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    They shot Lord of the Rings in 1999 - sixteen years ago.
    The ravages of time.

He still looks good to me :D
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    MichPlat wrote: »
    He's totally ruining this series for me , I just think he's well out of his depth .

I actually love everything else about the show but he ruins every scene he's in .
    This isn't the first show he's been in where he's had this same criticism leveled at him.

I don't mind Russell at all. I think he's quite versatile and able to do different characters (compare this one and his role as Carl in Job Lot).

There have been a few moments in this series where he's said things that are highly implausible, but then the whole a script is like that so I let it go.