FAO Anyone in N.Ireland (Water Crisis)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
Forum Member
✭✭
For those lining up getting the Government Water Supplies, Water steadily stagnates over time due to humidity & bacterial build up. Those queuing up for water will soon become sick from this unless fresh supplies are found quickly, and replenishing the already stagnating water that's been stood in tankers on street corners for days now.

If you want to avoid getting sick, I might suggest finding your nearest Natural Spring and sourcing water from that instead. Using water Purification tablets. The Natural Spring (especially with snowmelt) will be having a unlimited supply of water throughout the coming months, aswell as being constantly running the risk of getting bacterial disease is minimal at the most.

Comments

• Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or quit being so tight and go buy some bottled water
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you boil the water first it should be fine. People are already being told to do this.
  • Serenity79Serenity79 Posts: 1,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bottled water is running out in stores, so for a lot of people the water the government is supplying is their only choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Supplies of bottled water have ran out in most shops. Duh!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boiled water doesn't have that much of a effect against most common Algae, which will build up over time as often seen on reservoir Edges when the Water has been stagnant.
    It obviously kills the bacteria lower down, but as they thrive in warm conditions (lets face it, bacteria can survive being frozen in Permafrost or in Space in temperatures that melt Plastic), it takes a lot to kill off the most determined.

Water Purification Tablets or Filters are one line of defense, or taking water from a source which hasn't been stagnant is another. This is why even Bottled Water has a shelf life on it.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How ignorant
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not in NI but from the pictures on the news, the queues at the temporary water pumps means the water isn't going to be standing there long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a stupid comment.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your comments on another thread have made it quite clear that not only are you are incapable of compassion when it comes to the distress of others - you actually find it funny.

I can't decide whether continuing your distasteful comments on a thread initiated to help those in difficulties is simply childish or sick.

Probably both.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least Scotland has sent them some bottled water - 130,000 litres of the stuff and more to follow in water bowsers Come on, England - what's your contribution then?
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    At least Scotland has sent them some bottled water - 130,000 litres of the stuff and more to follow in water bowsers Come on, England - what's your contribution then?

I haven't heard anything about Wales sending water yet. :o:o

Come on Assembly sort it out and don't embarrass us.. :o
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's no government body for England that could make such a decision
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do get a little tired of the 'the English' being castigated at every opportunity. The people of Northern Ireland have every right to complain about the lack of action by the BRITISH Government. They should have swung into action immediately the difficulties manifested themselves, but to censure the English in general strikes me as just taking another opportunity to have a dig at the English whilst taking the moral highground yourself.

There is nothing an individual English person can do but offer sympathy and hope that the Government loses no further time in taking action to alleviate the distress
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member

How amusing you are ..... no bottled water in all major supermarkets due to the fact that those without have been buying it, and those who are panicking are stockpiling just in case.

Poking fun and making derogatory comments when you haven't a clue just makes you look ignorant and stupid.

Ever heard of karma ?
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    I do get a little tired of the 'the English' being castigated at every opportunity. The people of Northern Ireland have every right to complain about the lack of action by the BRITISH Government. They should have swung into action immediately the difficulties manifested themselves, but to censure the English in general strikes me as just taking another opportunity to have a dig at the English whilst taking the moral highground yourself.

There is nothing an individual English person can do but offer sympathy and hope that the Government loses no further time in taking action to alleviate the distress

Bit sensitive are we?

I wasn't censuring the English, only asking what their contribution was, as it doesn't get reported in our national news (i.e. Sottish News)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member

Learn to have some decency
    :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit sensitive are we?

I wasn't censuring the English, only asking what their contribution was, as it doesn't get reported in our national news (i.e. Sottish News)
    We? I was speaking only for myself.

I don't take cheap shots at the Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish because first and foremost I consider myself British. Many Little Englanders find it amusing to deride anyone but the English and one can always find their counterparts amongst the other countries that make up the UK. I'm not of that ilk and could argue against your assumption of sensitivity but why bother? Your opinion, though misplaced, is your prerogative.

To the best of my knowledge English (and Welsh) support has been conspicuous by its absence - but if and when they contribute to the needs of the Irish I'd be very surprised if it is reported in the Scottish news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11:11 wrote: »
    Those queuing up for water will soon become sick from this unless fresh supplies are found quickly, and replenishing the already stagnating water that's been stood in tankers on street corners for days now.

If you want to avoid getting sick, I might suggest finding your nearest Natural Spring and sourcing water from that instead.

Stop being a scare monger. Demand has been such that there has been very little chance for water to stagnate as it is drawn as soon as it is available by people desperate for water. And I am sure there are lots of natural springs in the middle of Belfast housing estates! :rolleyes:

Word fail me...
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11:11 wrote: »
    For those lining up getting the Government Water Supplies, Water steadily stagnates over time due to humidity & bacterial build up. Those queuing up for water will soon become sick from this unless fresh supplies are found quickly, and replenishing the already stagnating water that's been stood in tankers on street corners for days now.

uhhh water doesnt rot or go off, you know. anyway, its not like not having a shower every day is going to mean you get the plague... you might smell a bit but thats it.

btw, they just switched my water off... but i dont mind if its being shared about
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    uhhh water doesnt rot or go off, you know. anyway, its not like not having a shower every day is going to mean you get the plague... you might smell a bit but thats it.

btw, they just switched my water off... but i dont mind if its being shared about

I hope it is not switched off too long. That is very community spirited of you.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching BBC news and they were going on about the NI water crises and BBC News have said that the water supplies might not be turned back on until sometime next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it is not switched off too long. That is very community spirited of you.

It's been off every morning for the last 3 days.... bit annoying for showering/shaving. Just have to get all that out of the way the night before. Toilet is the worst problem... you dont want to know whats lurking in it after a while of not flushing!

Nah, I don't mind. I know other people who haven't had any water since Christmas day, have tried 60 times to ring NI water but haven't been able to get through and have no idea when its going to be back, all the a newly born baby too... compared to them I'm well lucky!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching BBC news and they were going on about the NI water crises and BBC News have said that the water supplies might not be turned back on until sometime next week.

Can you imagine how awful it is for those poor people? They were interviewing a doctor last night who was saying that at a time when hand hygiene was vital (with the flu around) that this could be a major public health issue.
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really bad round the villages and wee towns. I think they are concentrating on getting the Belfast flow on before anyone else to look good for the tv.

Haven't been able to buy a bottle of water in a shop for over a week and half now 3rd world country. If this keeps up should put it up with the Hurricane Katrina New Orleans disaster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, thats true. The bar industry is very worried about tomorrow night and any effect that might have. One popular South Belfast bar has order 20 portaloos as a precaution in case they lose supply. Can you imagine what sort of stench a toilet would give off after a while in a busy bar where they can't flush????