Options

EastEnders - new Shabnam Masood - FIRST CAST PICTURE

KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
Forum Member
✭✭
http://i.imgur.com/jIXjngP.jpg

The re-cast Shabnam Masood played by Rakhee Thakrar.

Comments

• Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    http://i.imgur.com/jIXjngP.jpg

The re-cast Shabnam Masood played by Rakhee Thakrar.

:o. I'm actually a bit shocked. Wait, are the Masood's muslim? They have mentioned it in about a year.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o. I'm actually a bit shocked. Wait, are the Masood's muslim? They have mentioned it in about a year.

Masood was even dressed up as Santa last week!:confused:

As Shabnam is wearing a head scarf does that mean we're getting more of the 'I'm a good Muslim' monotony that we got off Syed. She never wore a scarf before, why they giving her one now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite the transformation from how she used to be! http://static.whatsontv.co.uk/sites/default/files/images/2007/10/127794_0.jpg

Will be interesting to see what changed her mind and led her to embrace Muslim culture...I mean she left to do just that so I guess it makes sense and its more interesting than the old pole-dancing Shabnam...we had AJ as the 'rebel' and that was dull as dishwater.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite the transformation from how she used to be! http://static.whatsontv.co.uk/sites/default/files/images/2007/10/127794_0.jpg

Will be interesting to see what changed her mind and led her to embrace Muslim culture...I mean she left to do just that so I guess it makes sense and its more interesting than the old pole-dancing Shabnam...we had AJ as the 'rebel' and that was dull as dishwater.

And Syed of course ;) Actually Masood nearly had an affair and ate during Ramadan then got divorced from Zainab, then Tamwar separated/got divorced. So none of them are really 'good' Muslims.
  • Options
    Dan_1983Dan_1983 Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like going to Pakistan has made her get in touch with her religious side. Mind you I know a few Muslim women through friends who only wear the hijab for fashion and not because the Quran tells them to cover themselves.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time we saw Shabnam she wasn't sure what she wanted to be and was torn between western modern culture and her traditional Muslim roots. Its going to be interesting finding out exactly what happened in Pakistan with Shabnam and why she is back in London. Nitin hinted at a dark storyline. After he made Syed the first gay Muslim I think we can put faith in DTC to be brave.
  • Options
    alakazzamalakazzam Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I hope they portray her as a decent character. The headscarve in Islam is a respected piece of garment. I hope they don't portray her like the little good girl in Citizan Khan who only wears the scarve in front of daddy.
    I can imagine her being quite brash and ballsy like zainab. She will probably have a problemw with Sayed sexuality, Masood carrying on with different women etc
    Or maybe arranged/forced marriage which will be a good storyline as it is quite common in asian culture
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alakazzam wrote: »
    I hope they portray her as a decent character. The headscarve in Islam is a respected piece of garment. I hope they don't portray her like the little good girl in Citizan Khan who only wears the scarve in front of daddy.
    I can imagine her being quite brash and ballsy like zainab. She will probably have a problemw with Sayed sexuality, Masood carrying on with different women etc
    Or maybe arranged/forced marriage which will be a good storyline as it is quite common in asian culture

Is Shabnam aware of Syed's sexuality?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Is Shabnam aware of Syed's sexuality?

I'm sure she must know, Zainabs been in Pakistan and keeps in contact. Although I do remember Syed speaking to Shabnam over the phone on his wedding day, so she must have known what is going on now. Maybe they may bring her in as a strong muslim woman with islamic beliefs.. but this is Eastenders so maybe she will rip off the scarf and start having shots with Roxy in the vic
  • Options
    Dan_1983Dan_1983 Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look forward to seeing what she says about her brother's sexuality as homosexuality is a big no no in Islam.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alakazzam wrote: »
    I'm sure she must know, Zainabs been in Pakistan and keeps in contact. Although I do remember Syed speaking to Shabnam over the phone on his wedding day, so she must have known what is going on now. Maybe they may bring her in as a strong muslim woman with islamic beliefs.. but this is Eastenders so maybe she will rip off the scarf and start having shots with Roxy in the vic

I dont think that will happen but I dont want to see Shabnam isolated- I wonder what she will think of Carol and Masood?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    If I remember rightly Shabnam does know about her brothers sexuality as Christian used to say things as though they talked 'all' the time.

When is Shabnam supposed to be on our screens again? Look forward to it :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think that will happen but I dont want to see Shabnam isolated- I wonder what she will think of Carol and Masood?

She wont approve of Carol, she is bound to take the whole kids by different fathers thing badly now despite her past. I do wonder if she will be isolated too

I think all traces of the girl who used to party with Dawn will erased - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hf_BjfMT1Y

Will Shabnam actually have any friends on the Square? I guess if they bring back Carly again...? Who else is around her age? Danny? Cant see them being friends...

I get the feeling she is going to be Zainab mark 2 as TPTB feel the Masoods have been lacking since Zee left and want to bring that dynamic back. Plus I think they said in the press release she would be her mother's daughter much more now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Aww I miss Zee!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't really remember much about the original girl that played her, other than her being incredibly pretty.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other Shab was well fit!
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Shabnam was unassuming and likeable.

As NeutronstarNeko said in their post, she is all set to get a personality transplant and become as obnoxious as her mum, judging by the "chip off the old block" line in the publicity blurb..
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't think Carol & Masood are going to last. It is inevitable that Carol & David will get together. Just like Max Tanya, cancer support etc.

With no more AJ, it just leaves Masood & Tamwar. I think Shabnam is going to be like Zainab. I can imagine her moaning at Mas & Tam about cleaning the house, cooking, Shopping etc. I don't see any interaction for her though as other people have mentioned. Hopefully DTC has big plans and she will intergrate more on the square. I'm glad Masoods are being explored, one of my favourite families and I have said it many times EE is lacking culture.

I have a feeling Zainab will return though, she has already hinted she would come back.. watch this space
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I wonder why the old Shabnam hasn't returned to the role?
  • Options
    Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    I think it'd be interesting to see her as a devout Muslim but with fairly liberal views, like an acceptances of homosexuality.

I think she'll be friends with Sonia.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope her secrets good, if it's something to do with baby or sexuality that will be disappointing.
    I think it might be, she was female rights campaigner in Pakistan and was involved in protests and was involved something that killed someone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    If I remember rightly Shabnam does know about her brothers sexuality as Christian used to say things as though they talked 'all' the time.

When is Shabnam supposed to be on our screens again? Look forward to it :)

Yes. and Tamwar did a home video for Shabnam including Syed - this was just after Christian and Syed got together properly. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone remember when Chelsea was teaching Shabnam how to pole dance all those years ago in the RnR, with Zainab walking in on them? Haha, funny times. Thought I'd provide some sort of flashback
  • Options
    sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    I hope her secrets good, if it's something to do with baby or sexuality that will be disappointing.
    I think it might be, she was female rights campaigner in Pakistan and was involved in protests and was involved something that killed someone.

I thought similar story to that as well..or she was helping in an Aid project and someone died, could be partly her fault but she feels totally responsible