White House Down

2»

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't realise this was a comedy, started out well and Channing Tatum was a pretty decent lead but it descended into farce by the end. Some of the scenes were insulting they were so badly done.

Could have been quite a decent movie, even with the humour.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the real White House isn't guarded by panicky, useless idiots as shown in both of these movies.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    well iv now watched both films and i can confirm that olympus has fallen wins over white house down by a mile !!
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth a second watch I think, I thought it was a low budget rip off of Olympus Has Fallen as I saw no real hype about it before watching it first time around. There are some amusing moments in there when taken at face value.

They should release a non director's cut of it, remove the crap and you would have a pretty taut film.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shades1 wrote: »
    well iv now watched both films and i can confirm that olympus has fallen wins over white house down by a mile !!
    White House down must be truly awful then cos I watched Olympus yesterday and thought it was abysmal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    White House down must be truly awful then cos I watched Olympus yesterday and thought it was abysmal.

haha , i eagerly await your views on WHD then will !!
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was planning on seeing this but it seems to have disappeared from my local Cineworld listings.

Didn't seem to stay around long.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this on blu ray last night...not very good, and OHF was more enjoyable and more competent, which is not to say that was a great film at all.

This failed on so many levels...acting was poor, there was no chemistry between Tatum and Foxx, the humour just didn't work, Foxx has no charisma whatsoever and did not convince as the pres, and the cgi was very poor...the helicopters just didn't look real, and the scene with the car in the grounds looked like a video game!

Oddly enough, the flag-waving scene did not bother me that much, because it was actually a pay-off to a conversation Tatum had with his daughter earlier in the movie about him missing her prom at school. Had it just come out of the blue it would of course have been much more cheesy.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught up with this film last night. I have to say that I found Olympus Has Fallen to be vastly more enjoyable... not a good sign when a movie makes Gerard Butler look good.

It is extremely bizarre just how similar the two films are though. Obviously the overall plot is pretty much identical but there are also a few other elements they have in common such as
    A secret service agent turns out to be a villain
    The President is shot by the main antagonist in the 3rd act
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this film yesterday too, thought it was one of the most cliche movies I have ever seen. And it consisted of some of the cheesiest dialogue ever in an action movie.

After a few seconds in I half expected the line "that's above my pay grade" to come up. Sure enough after a few minutes the line came up.

It even had a character who came across as a spoof of Bennett from Commando.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I fell asleep halfway through. Nuff said.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vol wrote: »
    Caught up with this film last night. I have to say that I found Olympus Has Fallen to be vastly more enjoyable... not a good sign when a movie makes Gerard Butler look good.It is extremely bizarre just how similar the two films are though. Obviously the overall plot is pretty much identical but there are also a few other elements they have in common such as
    A secret service agent turns out to be a villain
    The President is shot by the main antagonist in the 3rd act

You should watch Machine Gun Preacher.

It's an excellent film & Butler is very good in it.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just saw this , it has to be one of the dumbest films I've ever seen . it's more stupid than a michael bay film .