Options

NFL - UK Broadcasting Thread

Comments

• Options
    MatthartlaneMatthartlane Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like "Big Kev" is back in the hot seat for tomorrow's double header... Suppose Dara will be at Wembley!!
  • Options
    ThomasStirkThomasStirk Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome back Big Kev, hope we see Cecil too what a guy
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    Did I miss something as thought the UK International Series games and Super Bowl were live on the BBC. However finally at home on a Sunday and this week's only seems to be on SS3 ? When C4 screened these I thought they had all the UK games lives, or is it because we now have 3 a year Sky took 1 so C4 and now BBC only get 2 ?
  • Options
    TheSubaru2012TheSubaru2012 Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Did I miss something as thought the UK International Series games and Super Bowl were live on the BBC. However finally at home on a Sunday and this week's only seems to be on SS3 ? When C4 screened these I thought they had all the UK games lives, or is it because we now have 3 a year Sky took 1 so C4 and now BBC only get 2 ?

It's live on the BBC, its just hidden on the red button. Don't know why they couldn't put it on BBC2 as there is nothing else live on there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's live on the BBC, its just hidden on the red button. Don't know why they couldn't put it on BBC2 as there is nothing else live on there.

Thanks for the heads up. Crap promotion by the BBC wanting no one to watch this.
    Given the BBC2 afternoon schedule was the usual home and antiques crap they have on every day I presumed they wouldn't be screening the game. BBC would probably argue that gets a higher audience given the ratings I read here for the first two games were so low.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 games in a row what a day too be an NFL Fan
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member

It's also on Sky Sports Mix, in HD unlike the BBC RB (for me, anyway)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the fans can choose what 6pm/9pm games can be shown on Sky. Since when did this happen?

Good idea though, it means that possibly bigger can be shown although I wonder in the future it will get spoiled by teams with big fanbases?
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So currently we have 3 ways to watch Washington v Bengals (Sky Sports 3, Sky Sports Mix and BBC Red Button) but nowhere to watch either the scheduled Bills/Pats game or NFL Red Zone :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Cecil disappointed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's also on Sky Sports Mix, in HD unlike the BBC RB (for me, anyway)

Had to give up Sky this year we could no longer afford it.
    Now only Freesat / Freeview and Netflix. We do Now TV occasionally to catch up mainly the HBO stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgot how frustrating it is watching a CBS early game on Sky where they don't have the yellow first down line. Unforgivable to be showing a game like this in 2016.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads up. Crap promotion by the BBC wanting no one to watch this.
    Given the BBC2 afternoon schedule was the usual home and antiques crap they have on every day I presumed they wouldn't be screening the game. BBC would probably argue that gets a higher audience given the ratings I read here for the first two games were so low.

Was thinking the exact same thing!
    Why on earth did this not get screened on BBC Two? What was the point showing it on BBC RB 1? When BBC Two was showing nothing of importance.
    Two maddening decisions today from broadcasters! BBC for this and Channel 4 for their very short F1 coverage for Humans!
  • Options
    Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Was thinking the exact same thing!
    Why on earth did this not get screened on BBC Two? What was the point showing it on BBC RB 1? When BBC Two was showing nothing of importance.
    Two maddening decisions today from broadcasters! BBC for this and Channel 4 for their very short F1 coverage for Humans!

Because Sky was the main broadcaster as the feed was from Fox and not NFL. This is why the coverage was studio based as well. Not the Beeb's decision to make. If you'd watched the NFL Show on Friday or subsequently you would/should have known it was going to be red button and website (where I watched it) only with a highl;ights programme tonight on BBC1 at midnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baz_James wrote: »
    Because Sky was the main broadcaster as the feed was from Fox and not NFL. This is why the coverage was studio based as well. Not the Beeb's decision to make. If you'd watched the NFL Show on Friday or subsequently you would/should have known it was going to be red button and website (where I watched it) only with a highl;ights programme tonight on BBC1 at midnight.

Ermm... BBC showed the live Fox feed on a Wembly game before and the game was on BBC2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ermm... BBC showed the live Fox feed on a Wembly game before and the game was on BBC2.

And Bake Off will next be seen on C4.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Broadcaster is irrelevant!
    So not sure what exactly you think that means, but the fact remains the BBC have the rights and elected themselves to put it on BBC RB.
    Sky & Fox means nothing to this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky was the main broadcaster as the feed was from Fox and not NFL.
    Very strange comment. The broadcaster in the US is irrelevant to the question of who has rights to the game over here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadcaster is irrelevant!
    So not sure what exactly you think that means, but the fact remains the BBC have the rights and elected themselves to put it on BBC RB.
    Sky & Fox means nothing to this!

So it's a complete coincidence that last season's games were on the same pattern with the third only available on red button with highlights later, is it? Nothing to do with the conditions on the deal?

Whatever. Contract's done now. Not sure that viewing figures will be sufficient to get it renewed so make the most of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So it's a complete coincidence that last season's games were on the same pattern with the third only available on red button with highlights later, is it? Nothing to do with the conditions on the deal?

Whatever. Contract's done now. Not sure that viewing figures will be sufficient to get it renewed so make the most of it.

So you base your entire earlier post (stating in a manner as if it were fact) on nothing more than a coincidence?
    You heard it here first folks!!!!!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed Saints at Dolphins is one of the Wembley games next year. Let's hope they're both somewhere near a 0.500 record at least at the time. 😜
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Confirmed Saints at Dolphins is one of the Wembley games next year. Let's hope they're both somewhere near a 0.500 record at least at the time. 😜

Not necessarily Wembley as remember at least one game is Twickenham.

We know another game is X at Jaguars and the Jaguars deal with the NFL means they are guaranteed Wembley.

3rd game is TBC, plus if serious on a London franchise there is talk again of a 4th London game or one in Germany next year.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member

In hindsight, maybe it was better that this game WAS on the RB as people would have been moaning when the BBC took the match off network TV for the overtime period ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But are you still trying to claim that the terms of the deal done in the UK is anything to do with which network is showing the game in America? That's hilarious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you base your entire earlier post (stating in a manner as if it were fact) on nothing more than a coincidence?
    You heard it here first folks!!!!!

You don't read too good, huh? My point was precisely that it wasn't a coincidence but the way the deal was negotiated. Two games to be broadcast live from the ground, the third to be on red button only with studio presenters. That being the established practice it is beyond me why anybody was surprised by Sunday conforming to the pattern that had been arranged two years ago and announced then, again at the beginning of the season, and in the week running up to the game.