Southampton v Sunderland - John Roder
    Manchester United v Manchester City - Jon Champion
  • The ScoutThe Scout Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Help with some!

Birkirkara-Hearts and Brondby-Hibs is Rory Hamilton and Michael Stewart

Turriff-Hibs: Alex O'Henley

Two West Ham games - I'd say Des Curran (he is a regular there)
    Thanks! Think you're right about Des Curran too.

Comms for all of the games I linked to are now in the hub. Thanks to those who added the details.

That is, apart from this one - for which I'm still looking for the Welsh commentators:

Llandudno v The New Saints - Sat, 20 Aug 2016 [S4C]
    http://www.s4c.cymru/sgorio/e_/gem/llandudno-seintiau-newydd-3/

Looking at the data for other matches on S4C, it is almost certainly Malcom Allen as the co-comm and it is likely to either be Bryn Tomos or Mike Davies as the main commentator. Somebody should be able to identify who it is from the clip. Thanks.
  • The LizardThe Lizard Posts: 2,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lizard wrote: »
    Welsh Premier League - The New Saints v Llandudno (S4C):

Dylan Ebenezer presenting from Park Hall with Marc Lloyd Williams. Nicky John reporting.

Commentators - Bryn Tomos and Malcolm Allen (Welsh), Mark Jones and Ian Hughes (English)

Correction to the main Welsh commentator for the above game. Bryn Tomos has done the last 2 weeks' matches on S4C.
    The Scout wrote: »
    That is, apart from this one - for which I'm still looking for the Welsh commentators:

Llandudno v The New Saints - Sat, 20 Aug 2016 [S4C]
    http://www.s4c.cymru/sgorio/e_/gem/llandudno-seintiau-newydd-3/

Looking at the data for other matches on S4C, it is almost certainly Malcom Allen as the co-comm and it is likely to either be Bryn Tomos or Mike Davies as the main commentator. Somebody should be able to identify who it is from the clip. Thanks.

The Welsh commentators for Llandudno v The New Saints on S4C on 20/08/2016 were Nic Parry and Malcolm Allen. That is definitely those two commentating in that clip provided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lizard wrote: »
    The Welsh commentators for Llandudno v The New Saints on S4C on 20/08/2016 were Nic Parry and Malcolm Allen. That is definitely those two commentating in that clip provided.
    Marvellous. Thanks. Though of course the main comm had to be someone other than the two people I had deduced that it must have been. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MLS - Toronto v Philadelphia Union:

Sky Sports 2 - Phil Blacker and Gary Breen

LA Galaxy v Real Salt Lake - Callum Williams and Iain Dowie

This game will be live on Sky Sports 2 at 3:35am UK time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marvellous. Thanks. Though of course the main comm had to be someone other than the two people I had deduced that it must have been. :p

No problem! Will help with posting details of S4C matches as and when, unless someone else kindly does so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    French Coupe de la Ligue 2nd Round - Clermont v Marseille:

BT Sport 3 (Delayed Coverage) - Armel Tanguy
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 26th October - Channel 5

Football on 5: The EFL Cup

George Riley presented alongside Alan Curbishley and David James, plus George Groves

Manchester United v Manchester City - Dave Farrar, with Guy Havord (as Sky Sports) conducting interviews
    West Ham United v Chelsea - Paul Walker
    Southampton v Sunderland - Nigel Adderley
    Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur (Tuesday) - Rob Hawthorne and Niall Quinn, with Guy Havord conducting interviews (as Sky Sports)
    Arsenal v Reading (Tuesday) - Jon Champion
    Newcastle United v Preston North End (Tuesday) - Kevin Keatings
    Bristol City v Hull City & Leeds United v Norwich City (Tuesday) - Sue Thearle (reporting)

The Chelsea-supporting boxer George Groves joined George and the pundits in the studio only for the second segment of the programme to provide his analysis of their game at West Ham and to promote his next fight, which will be shown live on Channel 5 next month.

I've not watched this show yet (just skimmed through it on My5), so I'm not sure how good George Groves proved as a pundit (I'm sure his mere presence won't have been to everyone's tastes), but for me an obvious flaw of the programme is that of the 66 minutes outside of the commercials, around the first 45 minutes were devoted to Wednesday's matches. It doesn't help matters that those three games weren't the most action-packed by all accounts. That left just over 20 minutes or so for Tuesday's matches, 10 of which went to the live Sky Sports game. So you had action from the four non-televised games crammed into around 10 minutes, which isn't great when most/all of them were the subject of a full OB. I seem to remember last year's fourth round highlights show being more balanced, and the BBC ones certainly were, so this was a bit disappointing. Having two derbies involving fashionable Manchester and London clubs wouldn't have helped the structure of the show in this respect.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not watched this show yet (just skimmed through it on My5), so I'm not sure how good George Groves proved as a pundit (I'm sure his mere presence won't have been to everyone's tastes), but for me an obvious flaw of the programme is that of the 66 minutes outside of the commercials, around the first 45 minutes were devoted to Wednesday's matches.

Ah, it was alright. I didn't mind George Groves' presence, he wasn't on for very long and rather that than some more dull discussion for the sake of it. It's the kind of thing I thought they were going to do on Friday Night Football when they talked about having celebrity guests - I don't mind seeing people from other sports talk about football, it gives it a different perspective, like in the highlights show on the 2012 Olympics. He didn't offer much, to be honest, but it wasn't a complete write-off of an idea.

The only issue was that they had to discuss the crowd trouble at West Ham while he was there so it jarred a bit. Lovely bit at the end of the chat though, when George forgot he was on television and got a bit thrown when suggesting you could "hear" the fight on Channel Five.

I wasn't too bothered about Wednesday's matches taking priority, you'd have doubtless seen most of the goals by now, and the Manchester derby, dull match though it was, was a major story. The thing I was most pleased about was that it started at 10.30 because I had assumed, like the Beeb used to, they had to show the highlights after eleven. Seemingly not, and that was good because it meant it was finished by midnight. I really think when you go a minute past midnight it's too late.
  • Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Dortmund v Schalke- Derek Rae for the world feed

This week's 'Footy on TV' column in Football365 will focus on people's favourite commentators.
    Forum Member
    Borussia v Eintracht- Dan O'Hagan
    Bayern v Augsburg- Dan O'Hagan
    Changchun Yatai v Shanghai Shenhua- Dan O'Hagan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another call for this one... just need the guest(s) and its done.
    Kilmarnock v Rangers - 26/08/2016 - BT Sport
    ========================================
    Presented by: Darrell Currie
    Commentators: Derek Rae and Chris Sutton
    Reporter: Eilidh Barbour
    Guests: ??????????????????????????????????

Were there any guests for this one? I'm guessing that there would have been at least one.
    Invariably there is at least one guest if there is a presenter, but who was it? Perhaps it might have been Chris Sutton before he wandered off to the commentary box? Or maybe Stephen Craigan? He doesn't seem to be absent from many Scottish games on BT...
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Endless messages asking about games ages ago it seems.

Strong lineup on the EFL games, seems a shame that the capable Mann/Leslie couldn't pick these games up.

Saw a few grumbles on Twitter about the C5 show and lack of action and time taken up with boxing, I didn't watch so could all be a bit harsh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Saw a few grumbles on Twitter about the C5 show and lack of action and time taken up with boxing, I didn't watch so could all be a bit harsh

I would say so, it was a perfectly acceptable highlights show of the old school. The Groves sequence lasted about two minutes if that, which would only otherwise have been filled with another montage or some dull chat with Alan Curbishley. There seemed to be a lot of adverts in it, but that can't be helped on that channel.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another call for this one... just need the guest(s) and its done.

Invariably there is at least one guest if there is a presenter, but who was it? Perhaps it might have been Chris Sutton before he wandered off to the commentary box? Or maybe Stephen Craigan? He doesn't seem to be absent from many Scottish games on BT...

Stephen Craigan was there as a pundit for definite with a guest pundit. Don't think it was regular other pundit Michael Stewart. I've a feeling maybe Alex Rae was involved.

EDIT: I had it still on sky plus! It was Rae and Craigan. Sutton was around pre/post match too after his commentary stint.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Endless messages asking about games ages ago it seems
    Please bear with it, there's only a handful of matches from this season that haven't been accounted for so I'm just looking to get it over the line. Covering old ground might not be your bag but there are plenty of others with an interest in this kind of thing and who are willing to help out. The whole point is to avoid making queries like this going forward anyway by keeping a log of details for each game as they happen. This doesn't stop you from discussing anything you want to discuss within this thread.
    Stephen Craigan was there as a pundit for definite with a guest pundit. Don't think it was regular other pundit Michael Stewart. I've a feeling maybe Alex Rae was involved.

EDIT: I had it still on sky plus! It was Rae and Craigan. Sutton was around pre/post match too after his commentary stint.
    Thanks for looking it up!

That's every BT Sport game from this season covered now. I think Derek Rae has commentated on every single match they've shown involving a Scottish club. And half of the time he's been paired with Chris Sutton... Poor bloke.

Pretty much all that remains now are a few S4C matches and a couple of Premier Sports games. Pre-season friendlies shown on Chelsea TV, MUTV and LFCTV will probably have to remain unsolved because a) only a select few would have watched these games in the first place and b) I would guess that nobody really cares about who covered these games anyway.
  • flipxsideflipxside Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Palermo v Udinese - BT Sport 1 - Peter Drury and Nigel Spackman
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, it was alright. I didn't mind George Groves' presence, he wasn't on for very long and rather that than some more dull discussion for the sake of it. It's the kind of thing I thought they were going to do on Friday Night Football when they talked about having celebrity guests - I don't mind seeing people from other sports talk about football, it gives it a different perspective, like in the highlights show on the 2012 Olympics. He didn't offer much, to be honest, but it wasn't a complete write-off of an idea.

The only issue was that they had to discuss the crowd trouble at West Ham while he was there so it jarred a bit. Lovely bit at the end of the chat though, when George forgot he was on television and got a bit thrown when suggesting you could "hear" the fight on Channel Five.

I wasn't too bothered about Wednesday's matches taking priority, you'd have doubtless seen most of the goals by now, and the Manchester derby, dull match though it was, was a major story. The thing I was most pleased about was that it started at 10.30 because I had assumed, like the Beeb used to, they had to show the highlights after eleven. Seemingly not, and that was good because it meant it was finished by midnight. I really think when you go a minute past midnight it's too late.

Here's a turn up for the books, me grumbling about Football on 5 and you sticking up for them. Nice turnaround from the usual discussions. :)

Having watching the programme now, I couldn't really fault much about George Groves' cameo. He was clearly primarily there to promote his upcoming fight on Channel 5 and spent a minute or two doing that - it didn't really get in the way or derail the show, and as a boxing fan who didn't know the fight was on, his segment did its job in alerting me (and hopefully others) to something I hope to watch. It jarred a bit (although some may have found it appropriate!) that there was violence at the game involving the team the boxer supports, but there's not much they could do about that. I liked George Riley's recovery after saying you could listen to the fight "...well you could, if you turned away from the screen and just listened to the sound." So yes, while I wouldn't have missed Groves had he not been there, I have no issue with his cameo.

As for the format, having watched the programme I've softened a bit. Had I watched the show live with the commercials, the time allocations wouldn't have stuck out as much - I imagine the sections on Tuesdays games ran to about 30-45 minutes of the 90 if you were to include the commercial breaks. I differ with you in that, not having access to Sky Sports or having checked the internet/news bulletins for them, I hadn't seen Tuesday's goals, but I get where you are coming from as I know most fans of the clubs involved will have and that shows like this are always going to start with the night's games some fans may have especially avoided the scores of. They couldn't help that the games they had set out the most time for proved to be quite dull, and it's not as if Southampton v Sunderland was particularly spectacular and had been majorly marginalised in favour of the other two. On paper the time allocation doesn't look good (it would have been nice to see a touch more of the Leeds v Norwich game, what with the penalties), but I didn't find the edits or punditry of the matches they majored on to drag on overly long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the format, having watched the programme I've softened a bit. Had I watched the show live with the commercials, the time allocations wouldn't have stuck out as much - I imagine the sections on Tuesdays games ran to about 30-45 minutes of the 90 if you were to include the commercial breaks. I differ with you in that, not having access to Sky Sports or having checked the internet/news bulletins for them, I hadn't seen Tuesday's goals, but I get where you are coming from as I know most fans of the clubs involved will have and that shows like this are always going to start with the night's games some fans may have especially avoided the scores of.

Yeah, they could hardly have dropped the Manchester derby down the running order because it was a major story. It certainly got a shorter edit than West Ham vs Chelsea, though. It reminded me a bit of a midweek MOTD a few seasons ago when Man City vs Arsenal had been that night, which was a top of the table clash, but it was a bloody awful 0-0, so it was first on, but had I think the shortest edit of the entire show.

I think by that point Tuesday's action is old news, really, as you say it's unlikely anyone would have avoided the results, unlike Wednesday's, so it's basically an opportunity to see the goals and anything especially interesting.

As I mentioned, I enjoyed the fact it started at 10.30 and was over by midnight. I really think it's vitally important for this competition that the highlights are on at a decent time, especially when they're on a smaller channel. Demanding they only go on after eleven so Sky can dominate does nothing to improve public interest in proceedings. And as I say, it meant I could stay up and watch it despite it being a work night. I always think if a highlights show goes past midnight, it's too late - even if it's just a few minutes past, it feels like it is, so I usually end up recording it and then never having time to watch it until a few days later, by which point the moment has passed. I know that makes me sound like an old man, but I am one.
    Forum Member
    Sunday 6 November on RTE2

Cork City v Dundalk- Peter Collins presents. With analysis from Alan Cawley, Stuart Byrne, Richie Sadlier and Trevor Croly, and commentary by George Hamilton and Brian Kerr.

Friday 11 November on ITV

England v Scotland- Mark Pougatch presents. Mark is joined in the studio by Ryan Giggs, Lee Dixon, Ian Wright and Ally McCoist, with commentary from Clive Tyldesley and Glenn Hoddle, and Gabriel Clarke pitchside.
    Forum Member
    Leganes v Real Sociedad- Rob Palmer and Terry Gibson for Sky
    Rangers v Kimarnock- Tom Miller, Jonatan Johannson and Marco Negri for RangersTV
    Forum Member
    Man Utd v Burnley- Jonathan Pearce for MotD
    Spurs v Leicester- John Motson for MotD
    Watford v Hull- John Roder for MotD
    WBA v Man City- Guy Mowbray for MotD
    Everton v West Ham- Ian Dennis for MotD2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some MLS details from the early hours:

MLS Play-Offs (Sky Sports 3):

DC United v Montreal Impact - Dan Roebuck (didn't catch who the co-comentator was)
    Seattle Sounders v Sporting Kansas City - Richard Kaufman and Matt Lawrence
    Forum Member
    Brighton v Norwich- Paul Walker for the world feed
    Boro v Bournemouth- Conor McNamara for MotD
    Palace v Liverpool- Simon Brotherton for MotD
    Soton v Chelsea- Steve Wilson for MotD2

John Nicholson article on football commentators
    http://www.football365.com/news/football-people-on-tv-the-commentators

In other news, Alistair Mann had his photo taken with Alan Partridge today.
  • luketwillluketwill Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To compile all the details into one place
    BBC Match of the Day - Saturday 29th October

Sunderland v Arsenal - Steve Bower
    Man United v Burnley - Jonathan Pearce
    Middlesbrough v Bournemouth - Conor McNamara
    Tottenham v Leicester - John Motson
    Watford v Hull City - John Roder
    West Brom v Man City - Guy Mowbray
    Crystal Palace v Liverpool - Simon Brotherton