Buying Car With Damage?

MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all :)

At the minute I'm looking for a first car, ideally something under £800, and I've come across a 2003 Nissan Micra for sale for £595. The car has only covered a tiny 31,000 miles from new with two owners, and full service history. The only problem is that along the passenger door there are a couple of rather large scratches and small dent, and as the car is being sold as seen I doubt that the trader will rectify it. I've already checked up the car and it is not a Category C or D vehicle, and as its my first car it's bound to get damaged at some point, especially by my workplace, but part me is unsure to purchase a car with damage. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Large scratches and a small dent are cosmetic, how long is the MOT?
  • MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Large scratches and a small dent are cosmetic, how long is the MOT?

The MOT is until February but the car has never failed any MOT test or had any advisories. This along with the mileage and price is really tempting me.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Depending on the severity of the damage, a garage can probably repair that for a few hundred but for such a cheap car you may decide to live with it or attempt a DIY job.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    MK184 wrote: »
    The MOT is until February but the car has never failed any MOT test or had any advisories. This along with the mileage and price is really tempting me.

Buy it and re-assess the damage after a few weeks or so;…you may be happy to live with the damage,… or you may feel it’s worth repairing.

If the car runs well what have you got to lose at that price/spec.:)
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Sounds a good buy - small cars are always highly sought after, and, as a consequence, tend to keep their prices up.

With regards to the damage this is clearly being accounted for in the price, though there's nothing to stop you trying to get it a little bit cheaper. But don't expect to get hundreds of pounds off, the seller just won't do it.

You might just decide to live with the damage after a little while. As you say, being your first car, it may-well suffer more damage still, once you start driving it around (but I hope not!) If you want the damage repaired then, as others have already suggested, you could have a go at repairing it yourself, or, you could ask a company like "Chips Away" to give you an estimate for the repairs.

Most of us have begun our driving careers driving cars which were not perfect. When I started driving myself, the car I had, a Ford Anglia, was covered in holes caused by rust! You don't have to worry about rust on most cars these days because the bodies are galvanised, which prevents it. I spent a great deal of time, and learned quite a bit about repairing cars by attempting to fill all the rust holes in with body filler and painting the repair afterwards.

As I say, it does sound like a good buy, even with the damage. I don't think, from what you say, that particular car will be on sale for very long.

Do, however, get a test drive before deciding and, if possible, take someone along who knows something about cars.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At the minute I'm looking for a first car, ideally something under £800, and I've come across a 2003 Nissan Micra for sale for £595. The car has only covered a tiny 31,000 miles from new with two owners, and full service history. The only problem is that along the passenger door there are a couple of rather large scratches and small dent, and as the car is being sold as seen I doubt that the trader will rectify it. I've already checked up the car and it is not a Category C or D vehicle, and as its my first car it's bound to get damaged at some point, especially by my workplace, but part me is unsure to purchase a car with damage. Any thoughts?

The damage is only cosmetic from your description and the price sounds reasonable.
    I doubt it would cost a lot to rectify. Enjoy your driving op.
  • eggcheneggchen Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could probably get one of those mobile "Dent Wizard" type blokes to come out and poke the dent out or whatever they do. I've used them in the past and was pleased with the results, only cost about £60. The scratches could possibly be touched up / T-Cutted out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggchen wrote: »
    You could probably get one of those mobile "Dent Wizard" type blokes to come out and poke the dent out or whatever they do. I've used them in the past and was pleased with the results, only cost about £60. The scratches could possibly be touched up / T-Cutted out.

http://www.dentwizard.co.uk/
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the perfect first car. You shouldn't be worried about cosmetics - you'll probably have a couple of bumps and scratches yourself in the first year.

31,000 miles is very low for a car that age so it should be reliable. At this point that should be your only concern - and at £595 there really isn't any gamble to take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the perfect first car. You shouldn't be worried about cosmetics - you'll probably have a couple of bumps and scratches yourself in the first year.

31,000 miles is very low for a car that age so it should be reliable. At this point that should be your only concern - and at £595 there really isn't any gamble to take.

and to make sure the fluid levels and filters are ok and the front pads have a bit of life in them.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, thanks a lot for all of the replies and help :)

I'm probably going to go for it, it's a very nice little car and the mileage is just too good to refuse. With me driving it's bound to be damaged anyway so I think I'll just leave the debt for now, knowing my luck I'd get it repaired only to then damage the car further the next day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm probably going to go for it, it's a very nice little car and the mileage is just too good to refuse. With me driving it's bound to be damaged anyway so I think I'll just leave the debt for now, knowing my luck I'd get it repaired only to then damage the car further the next day!

One good thing with a car like that is you don't have to worry about the knocks and prangs (as long as you don't damage anything else in the process) :)
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Sounds a good car at 13 years old
    Forum Member

You’ve obviously done your research on the car and if everything is kosher I wouldn’t hang about;

…I suspect it won’t be on sale for much longer.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Go for it, TBH you'll probably want to trade up in a year or so anyway. You'll end up putting a few more dents and dings in it by then, thats just the way it is with a new driver.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    ... you'll probably have a couple of bumps and scratches yourself in the first year.
    You'll end up putting a few more dents and dings in it by then, thats just the way it is with a new driver.

Are all newly qualified drivers this inept?

This must explain why the cost of my car insurance keeps on rising ...
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £600 is reasonable, I would have thought.

At that age I would have thought you would be more concerned about the engine, and making sure it starts every time. make sure there is decent tread on the tyres.

you won't loose much when you come to trade it in again.

having said that, if you are bothered about the appearance then factor in the cost of the bodywork repairs, which generally costs a bit more than you would expect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »

My experience is that most new drivers will have a couple of knocks whilst they are developing their spacial awareness and general driving skills.
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I cant believe a car that ae only has 31k miles on it, has it been clocked or worse gone around the clock and back to 31k? too cheap for a car with that low mileage equates to lowly 2500 a year, I would be very wary, but you only want a cheapy, what have you got to lose?
    Forum Member
    Scuby wrote: »
    I cant believe a car that ae only has 31k miles on it, has it been clocked or worse gone around the clock and back to 31k? too cheap for a car with that low mileage equates to lowly 2500 a year, I would be very wary, but you only want a cheapy, what have you got to lose?

You’re quite right to be wary. There are many dodgy sellers out to chisel unwary buyers these days,…never been any different TBH. :(

However, 2.5k miles per annum is not that unusual in a car like a Micra with just 2 owners,…it’s a very popular car with older/retired drivers so no commute to work every day etc.

My old dad who died a few months ago had one;…he only did 15k miles in 10 years from new!

…I’m sure the OP has already done this but the MOT history and mileage records can be checked for consistency by using the DVLA’s MOT History Checker.

I think the online MOT records only go back as far as 2006 though.

The MOT checker is freely available to everyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the car does only have 31,000 miles, as the above poster has stated you can now check every cars MOT since 2006 on the DVLA website, and it shows that the car had only been covering around 1,500 a year from that point onwards. I believe it was used by a lady who was only using it go to work locally a few days a week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »

I certainly am not, I consider myself a very safe and cautious driver, however I have to park in a side street by my workplace and there's a high chance of the car being damaged there, also I can't always park on my driveway due to my families other cars so sometimes I'll have to park it on the street, again it could easily be damaged.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The low number of miles could be genuine. Not everyone is zooming up and down the motorways everyday, and the Nissan micra has a reputation for being owned by older people who don't drive very far (not driving to and from work for example).

If the dent in the door is shallow, and as long as it hasn't damaged the impact beams inside the door, then it should be a simple fix. Do a little research and track down local car body repair outlets in your area. The larger garages that sell cars, at least from what I found last year, don't do repairs anymore - they simply put on a replacement body panel (costing thousands).
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes low numbers can be genuine, my dad part ex'd his old car and in about 13 years it had done about 30kish miles from new..work and back probably meant 5-6 miles a week plus the weekly shop of another mile or two on average.

Sometimes he'd even walk into work when the weather was good.

Main thing that probably did put the mileage on the car was taking the dog to the local park for walks.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It must be a Micra thing. My sister has a 1999 Micra, and it has just turned 33k. Still drives like new.