Options

C4's "Your Face Says It All" vanishes at mid point break.

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else watching "Your Face Says It All" on C4 only for it to not return after the 30 minute advert break?

Instead they're running a repeat of Gadget Man. I didn't see any "We apologise for the interruption" alerts.

Comments

• Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know what's going on at Channel 4 this evening?

Your Face Says It All is supposed to be on, but has been replaced "due to technical problems".

I always thought that these days programmes were on a HDD with at least one back up; not like the old days when tapes could go wrong!

Perhaps they mean a rights or legal issue has prevented them from showing it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else watching "Your Face Says It All" on C4 only for it to not return after the 30 minute advert break?

Instead they're running a repeat of Gadget Man. I didn't see any "We apologise for the interruption" alerts.

It's very odd isn't it.

We cross posted at the same time, I'll get them merged :)
  • Options
    therock247uktherock247uk Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Strange how they shut down the show half way through...
  • Options
    wmoorewmoore Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Due to a technical issue we are unable to bring you the remainder of your face says it all......"

Maybe technical really means legal issue ????
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry.. not Gadget Man.. Travel Man.
  • Options
    AntboxAntbox Posts: 4,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your Face Says It All is supposed to be on, but has been replaced "due to technical problems".

Sometimes a technical problem is just a technical problem.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry.. not Gadget Man.. Travel Man.
    And the first line - "the face of Gadget Man"...

...which had me thinking "well pranked, Channel 4!. Very good. Had me fooled. Now put the programme back on."

Channel 4?"

Has there been a situation where a programme has been pulled halfway through in recent times? I know of strike action pulling programmes during broadcast in the past but nothing like this, particularly so because technical difficulties are rarely, if ever seen nowadays.

ETA: It's being repeated on Channel 4+1 with no forewarning like a caption or verbal warning. Have your recorders and YouTube upload pages ready for around the half hour mark (as this will inevitably be uploaded to YouTube by many).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antbox wrote: »
    Sometimes a technical problem is just a technical problem.

True, but I'd have thought that there would be inbuilt resilience these days.

I believe that even in the days of U-Matic tapes, they ran two together, so that in the event if a problem, they could easily get the programme back on the air.

Pulling a programme off halfway through hasn't been seen since the days of industrial action!!
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but I'd have thought that there would be inbuilt resilience these days.

I believe that even in the days of U-Matic tapes, they ran two together, so that in the event if a problem, they could easily get the programme back on the air.

Pulling a programme off halfway through hasn't been seen since the days of industrial action!!

With the exception of Channel TV who had special IBA dispensation (on financial grounds) no mainstream UK TV broadcaster has ever broadcast programmes from U Matic tape, they were only permitted for news acquisition, and play-out of news reports, (and ONLY news)

Dual running Quad Tape Cart Machines were used by the larger ITV companies for commercials playout, and I'm sure key programmes had alternative copies ready to go
    on standby VTRs.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know what's going on at Channel 4 this evening?

I always thought that these days programmes were on a HDD with at least one back up; not like the old days when tapes could go wrong!

If its a "technical" issue, then I bet this means a technical compliance with the programme as delivered. If C4 failed to play-out something that was scheduled and delivered to them in full compliance with spec, then that's a full systemic fail rater than just a technical one.

BBC4 have an interesting show about black holes, apparently there's one at the centre of the universe. As some broadcasters think that they are ....... Well you get the gist, and yes its been a bad day and I'm being facetious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    If its a "technical" issue, then I bet this means a technical compliance with the programme as delivered. If C4 failed to play-out something that was scheduled and delivered to them in full compliance with spec, then that's a full systemic fail rater than just a technical one.
    No television channel is going to go on air and apologise to their viewers for a "systemic failure" - aside from anything else, nobody would know what it means. "Technical problem" covers all bases and is easily understood.

Remember that C4 don't play out their channel themselves any more - it's all done by a third party. Anything could go wrong.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antbox wrote: »
    No television channel is going to go on air and apologise to their viewers for a "systemic failure" - aside from anything else, nobody would know what it means. "Technical problem" covers all bases and is easily understood.

Remember that C4 don't play out their channel themselves any more - it's all done by a third party. Anything could go wrong.

Hmmmm, so it is a black hole then?
  • Options
    DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Has there been a situation where a programme has been pulled halfway through in recent times? I know of strike action pulling programmes during broadcast in the past but nothing like this, particularly so because technical difficulties are rarely, if ever seen nowadays.

This happened on the night Michael Jackson died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gioP_kxFSU
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanManF1 wrote: »
    This happened on the night Michael Jackson died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gioP_kxFSU
    That was at or near the end of the programme and on the night he died from what I recall.

This just seems incredibly strange. I have a theory of what got the programme pulled but no way of verifying it without the source material which only Channel 4 and the programme makers will be privy to and won't share publicly.

Channel 4 doesn't look as if it is going to rebroadcast the programme, merely put an edited version on All4 tomorrow.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First instinct is that it was down to some sort of legal or compliance issue which reached Channel 4 far too late for them to re-edit the show - or indeed do anything other than take this course of action.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was at or near the end of the programme and on the night he died from what I recall.

This just seems incredibly strange. I have a theory of what got the programme pulled but no way of verifying it without the source material which only Channel 4 and the programme makers will be privy to and won't share publicly.

Channel 4 doesn't look as if it is going to rebroadcast the programme, merely put an edited version on All4 tomorrow.

It's already on All4 via Sky. It's listed as 49 minutes which is about right for an hour long programme (with no ads) although I haven't watched it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's already on All4 via Sky.
    So almost certainly just a technical problem - the programme has clearly been available and in a complete form for long enough to already have it available on VOD (and for it to have pre-prepared subtitles available, too) so there's no reason whatsoever why it would have been pulled mid-transmission.

They said it was a technical problem and that's all it was. Things go wrong sometimes.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For Pete's sake! It's a breakdown! It happens! Transport yourself back to the 60s and see how lucky you are nowadays! Faults happen, nobody dies!:cool:
  • Options
    Martyn1Martyn1 Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Has there been a situation where a programme has been pulled halfway through in recent times? I know of strike action pulling programmes during broadcast in the past but nothing like this, particularly so because technical difficulties are rarely, if ever seen.

I thought it was a Granada Plus moment all over again!! Didn't they just got to an ad break then pull the programme off air mid way through the ads before they closed down for good? Pie in the Sky or something I think they were showing at the time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more interested in the background to this as opposed to the fact that the programme was pulled.

At the end of the replacement programme, the CA said that the programme could be seen at 0:05 on Friday (she meant Saturday).

After doing a TiVo search, there are scheduled repeats before this slot.

If this is an indication that the programme won't be aired until it's last scheduled repeat showing, I think that those who think that this is something other than a technical problem are correct.

Tonight's episode was about celebrity faces; perhaps one of them made a complaint that was felt to be possibly or actually justified and the programme had to be pulled very quickly??
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was pulled because they played out the wrong version which had no narration.

The correct version is already on All4.

No legal threats or conspiracies, just a genuine error.
  • Options
    aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martyn1 wrote: »
    I thought it was a Granada Plus moment all over again!! Didn't they just got to an ad break then pull the programme off air mid way through the ads before they closed down for good? Pie in the Sky or something I think they were showing at the time?

It was Pie in the Sky. I was watching it at the time as I was off work ill!
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    How strange. I hope it wasn't my fault!

I watched the first half, up to the add-break and then decided I'd had enough and watched something else.:p
  • Options
    SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    With the exception of Channel TV who had special IBA dispensation (on financial grounds) no mainstream UK TV broadcaster has ever broadcast programmes from U Matic tape, they were only permitted for news acquisition, and play-out of news reports, (and ONLY news).

The BBC played out Open University programmes from U-Matic for many years through a dedicated OUCon suite. This was notable in that one announcer worked both BBC 1 and 2 simultaneously, completely self op. It's been speculated that using a non broadcast format might have been a concession to avoid union issues, with one person doing what might be expected to be the work of at least 6 in those days.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the aliens.