Enhanced BT 1571 - user manual?

donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know where I can find the "full" user manual for the "enhanced 1571" service from BT ? (That's the one that lets you record your own outgoing message, etc)

Thanks

Comments

• HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Please dump BT 1571 and buy an answering machine with that facility (less than £10 on ebay) instead!

The reason I say that is because, IMHO, 'free' 1571 services are nothing more than a clever con by call provider companies to make money.

That's because, if you call someone who has the 'service' and they happen to be engaged on a call already, you go straight through to the 1571 'machine'. Your call is connected and you are charged 3p connection and a minimum of 3p for the first minute (if you're on BT or whatever your own calls provider charges). So, even if you don't want to leave a message, that call has cost you 6p. Trying again (and again, and again) might have the same result too.

If the person you called didn't have 1571, you'd have heard an engaged tone, would not have been charged anything, would have realised they were busy on a call and would have tried again after a few minutes.

An answering machine set to answer after 8 or 9 rings is a far more 'friends and family friendly' device for when you're out - F&F quickly learn (or you can even tell them), that, if you haven't answered by, say, the fifth ring, you're not going to so they'll have the option of hanging on until the answering machine kicks in and leaving a message or hanging up and trying later.
  • donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Heinz, but I actually prefer the 1571 these days.
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    donelson wrote:
    Your decision of course.

BT say thank you very much.

Your F&F may say otherwise.
  • donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Heinz. We have 4 cordless phones around the house, and the place we'd put an answer machine is not really very convenient.

Also, I like having messages taken when I am on the phone, as I get a lot of calls from my office, etc, when I work at home.

===============================

Anyway, does anyone know where the programming chart is for BT Enhanced 1571 ?
  • jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donelson wrote:

I'm with Heinz, I absolutely detest the 1571 service. If a person is busy I would rather I got the engaged tone.

PS I have searched through BT's website but cannot find a guide.

However if you call this number they provide help with calling features.

0800 800 150
    Monday to Saturday 7.30am to 10pm
    Sunday 9am to 6pm

Or they provide online help here;

http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_afdpage.php?p_sid=Pebkh8oi&cat_lvl1=345&cat_lvl2=1003&p_cv=2.1003&p_cats=345,1003
  • Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer using 1571 to an answer machine. I like to be able to take a message if I am on the phone. Most people who contact me don't mind the few extra pence, and they don't keep trying again anyway as by then they have left their message and will wait for me to call them back. Surely it is more convenient for them to leave a message and wait instead of keep trying to phone me?

A nice extra touch would be if you got a gentle bleep on the line at the time someone tried to call, like you do with the call waiting service. At the moment using 1571 disables call waiting.

Another idea would be if when you do get a new message, as an option the phone would just do one quick ring each hour till you dialled 1571.