Duchess defends size 10 Beatrice

Comments

• missymorganmissymorgan Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pricesout wrote: »
    but we are not concerned with how she perceives herself. We are concerned with how WE preceive her.

She is chunky and clumsy now, and it will only get worse. Mark my words

I never mentioned how she perceives herself, I have no knowledge of that!

And what qualifies you as an expert? My perception is that she is neither clumsy nor chunky and my experience tells me it will not necessarily get worse.

Your perception is obviously different and in my opinion very unhealthy, to think of her figure as anything other than normal and healthy makes me question what weight issues you have?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    Absolutely no way is she that. She is easily a dress size or 2 smaller than me and I am 5ft 8 and weigh 11 and a half stone.

Whilst I'm not thin, I am also a pear shape, I am not unhealthy and not obese. She seems to be a perfectly healthy shape to me and she is not necessarily going to be massive when she's older - I was a similar size when I was her age (10 years ago) and I've put on a stone since then. And I still do not consider myself as fat or massive!

Do you mind me asking what size you are? I'm the same height as you and at 11 1/2 stone I wear a size 12 and I was much smaller than Beatrice looks in those pictures. At 10 1/2 stone I was a size 10 and way smaller than she looks in those pictures. (I'm also pear shaped)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mind me asking what size you are? I'm the same height as you and at 11 1/2 stone I wear a size 12 and I was much smaller than Beatrice looks in those pictures. At 10 1/2 stone I was a size 10 and way smaller than she looks in those pictures. (I'm also pear shaped)

Normally a size 14. When I was her age I had a size 8 waist but would wear a size 12 because of my hips.
  • pricesoutpricesout Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally a size 14. When I was her age I had a size 8 waist but would wear a size 12 because of my hips.

So were you a size 8 or 12?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Not in the grand scheme of things, but this is a showbiz forum where we discuss shallow, fluffy things. Perhaps you are posting in the wrong section?

I understand that. I am in the right section, as far as I know. This discussion just hit home a little too hard.
    It doesn't hurt me or affect me. And I don't think it is a crime in the eyes of the law. It certainly is irresponsible to be overweight or underweight if it is self-caused (not be illness)

It isn't a crime, no. But comments like the ones here can cause an illness. Negative comments about someone's appearance can result in over or under eating to deal with low self esteem caused by it. I wouldn't say it was irresponsible to be either extreme. Simply a physical way of dealing with an emotional issue, which can spiral in to an illness over which the sufferer has no control. There may be things going on in her life that we know nothing about.
    I don't want her to feel bad, but the fact is that she has a media profile (photos of her birthday in Hello) etc, so live by the media sword, die by it. She is fair game

I understand that, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Saying hurtful things that can cause real damage to the way someone views their body is not fair game, in my opinion.
    Anorexia is usually more than just a weight issue - it is a very complex disease.
    Why where you being bullied in the first place. Sure they made an issue of your weight, but why were they picking on you to begin with?

It was because I was 'fat' in their opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I wasn't a size 6 or 8 like them, I was a 10. That made me 'fair game' in their eyes, a target for their abuse. Being young and naive, I believed it and took it on board, in a defiant "I'll show them" attitude, and took it too far. It was the root of my illness.
    Agreed 100% , but why are you having a go at us for commenting on Bea?? You have just said that it is her place not to conform to it :confused:

I'm not having a go at everyone, my comment was aimed at those calling her unnecessary names regarding her size. Sure, have an opinion, but there is no need for name calling. I'd love to know the size of those sitting behind their computer screens throwing names at her. Are they all shaped like Kate Moss? I doubt it.
    In my eyes she is fat, and she is likely to put weight on as she gets older, like most humans.

You are entitled to your opinion. I, personally, don't think it is inevitable that you get bigger as you get older. If she wanted to, she could easily change her shape through diet and exercise. Just like anyone else. If she is happy being the size she is, that is entirely up to her. I don't think she deserves ridicule for that.
    But you said it isn't her place to conform to our ideals, so what is the problem?

Does she read DS?

If I didn't like something I was reading, I would
    a) accept it
    b) ignore it
    c) not read it

Surely she will do the same

I doubt she reads DS, but she must read some form of media drivel that attacks her for her size for the Duchess to comment on it. The comments here reflect those being made in newspapers, etc. Purely for the sake of selling newspapers they are willing to dent her self esteem. As her mother said, they won't be happy until she develops an eating disorder... and then it would be "she's too thin" all over the papers. She can't win.

I just find meaningless insults about her weight cruel, if constantly cropping up in the press, she will be aware of them. She is a young and impressionable girl, no one is made of stone, and eating disorders do not discriminate. I don't care who they are, I'd hate for anyone to go through what I did.

Feel free to pick my post apart. It is just my opinion. I have not attacked anyone for theirs. I just wish people would think of the possible damage they can cause by the careless comments they make about the way someone looks. Clothes, make-up - fine, that can be taken off at the end of the day. This is her body you are talking about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I understand that. I am in the right section, as far as I know. This discussion just hit home a little too hard.

It isn't a crime, no. But comments like the ones here can cause an illness. Negative comments about someone's appearance can result in over or under eating to deal with low self esteem caused by it. I wouldn't say it was irresponsible to be either extreme. Simply a physical way of dealing with an emotional issue, which can spiral in to an illness over which the sufferer has no control. There may be things going on in her life that we know nothing about.

I understand that, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Saying hurtful things that can cause real damage to the way someone views their body is not fair game, in my opinion.

It was because I was 'fat' in their opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I wasn't a size 6 or 8 like them, I was a 10. That made me 'fair game' in their eyes, a target for their abuse. Being young and naive, I believed it and took it on board, in a defiant "I'll show them" attitude, and took it too far. It was the root of my illness.

I'm not having a go at everyone, my comment was aimed at those calling her unnecessary names regarding her size. Sure, have an opinion, but there is no need for name calling. I'd love to know the size of those sitting behind their computer screens throwing names at her. Are they all shaped like Kate Moss? I doubt it.

You are entitled to your opinion. I, personally, don't think it is inevitable that you get bigger as you get older. If she wanted to, she could easily change her shape through diet and exercise. Just like anyone else. If she is happy being the size she is, that is entirely up to her. I don't think she deserves ridicule for that.

I doubt she reads DS, but she must read some form of media drivel that attacks her for her size for the Duchess to comment on it. The comments here reflect those being made in newspapers, etc. Purely for the sake of selling newspapers they are willing to dent her self esteem. As her mother said, they won't be happy until she develops an eating disorder... and then it would be "she's too thin" all over the papers. She can't win.

I just find meaningless insults about her weight cruel, if constantly cropping up in the press, she will be aware of them. She is a young and impressionable girl, no one is made of stone, and eating disorders do not discriminate. I don't care who they are, I'd hate for anyone to go through what I did.

you should write her a letter then :D;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pricesout wrote:
    In my eyes she is fat

We all know your eyes aren't up to much.

Fat? Hang on a second... it was 'massive' earlier :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x_Charl_x wrote: »
    We all know your eyes aren't up to much.

Fat? Hang on a second... it was 'massive' earlier :confused:

Fat/massive etc....same difference
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So were you a size 8 or 12?

As I was wearing a size 12 that was the size I classed myself as.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I was wearing a size 12 that was the size I classed myself as.

why say you were a size eight then??
  • The DaneThe Dane Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    A journalist once made a comment about Karen Carpenter, of The Carpenters fame, and her enormous behind.
    She developed an eating disorder because of that comment and died from heart problems, caused by said eating disorder.

We're never going to agree, I don't personally think there's anything wrong with Beatrice's weight, she looks fine to me, but to others she apparently doesn't.

To be honest, diplomacy has its advantages, when commenting on others, and it doesn't hurt to take a look in the mirror either, because to demand something of others does, IMHO, mean you should live up to it yourself;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why say you were a size eight then??

She was perfectly clear. She had a small (size 8) waist and larger hips. You are beginning to sound like someone with issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was perfectly clear. She had a small (size 8) waist and larger hips. You are beginning to sound like someone with issues.

Okay , I see now.

Perhaps I do have issues, just like the many people on these forums who castigate Vic Beckham, Liz Hurley, etc for being too skinny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    Okay , I see now.

Perhaps I do have issues, just like the many people on these forums who castigate Vic Beckham, Liz Hurley, etc for being too skinny.

I agree, if people can say someone is too skinny why can't people say someone is too fat? All of a sudden your comments could make them have an eating disorder :rolleyes: I think if one comment can make you have an eating disorder you are in a pretty vulnerable state already. IMO I wouldn't like to be a big as she is so I would say she could do with losing some weight, but if she happy being that size then it is up to her. TBH I don't really care how big/small she is, it makes no odds to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I have just read through this thread... I have to say I was amazed that it went on for 7 pages!!!

In my opinion she has a perfectly normal shape, and yeah she has larger hips but her waist is pretty small, and her stomach is really flat so I fail to see how this then becomes massive or fat in some peoples eyes... If you look at her and think this then you really must have some issues and should possible go and seek some help as its really not healthy.

I think we should be applauding this girl for being happy and her boyfriend obviously loves her shape (rightly so...) considering the issues her mum very publically had with her weight I think its amazing that she is so comfortable in her own skin and if only more people where like her.

Many people are naturally a size zero and many more are naturally a size 14 and we should allow people to be there natural size and not have people starving themself or doing hours and hours of of exercise to be a size zero nor should we have people who are obviously obesse being classed as role models, Beth Ditto Im thinking of you... but we should be encouraging people to stay with a healthy weight for there height, frame and build and not look down on people who are obviously healthy, happy and comfortable with themself.
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    IMHO she looks like a normal girl. I wouldn't be surprised if she was a size 10 and cannot believe the questionning. People are different body shapes, doesn't mean they can't get into a 10 because they're not identical in proportion to you or I.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really not the biggest fan of Beatrice, but I do think it was a little mean to call her fat. I'm only 2 years older than Beatrice and I'm curvy; size 10 on top and size 12 on the bottom, but most of the time I feel enormous, so I think articles like that can have a negative effect on Beatrice herself and other girls her age who are around the same size. I think Allison Pearson was a little insensitive about the whole thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IHeartGene wrote: »
    I think Allison Pearson was a little insensitive about the whole thing.

A little insensitive? Her whole article was a foul cesspit of smirking innuendo. :mad:
  • Britney SmearsBritney Smears Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Alison is simply trying to send a message, whith britian getting fatter with every generation princess porker needs to be setting an example.

Theres obviously a lot of women in this thread that are no stranger to the odd pie or ten, judging by the comments in defence ofan unhealthy lifestyle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Alison is simply trying to send a message, whith britian getting fatter with every generation princess porker needs to be setting an example.

Theres obviously a lot of women in this thread that are no stranger to the odd pie or ten, judging by the comments in defence ofan unhealthy lifestyle.

Er, why? Simply because she's in the public eye? I don't think that argument would go very far. You could say exactly the same about the likes of models, the Olsens, Nicole Richie etc - they should be setting an example and not be shaped like a stick.

And the comments on this thread are not defending an unhealthy lifestyle (which I highly doubt Beatrice leads) - they're defending women's right not to be subjected to a load of misplaced, and misjudged, criticism.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little insensitive? Her whole article was a foul cesspit of smirking innuendo. :mad:

Lol yeah ok, maybe that was the understatement of the century :o
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a guy, can I just say that she looks far more attractive than people half her weight. Anybody who calls her fat is simply bitter. Men like women with a bit of meat on them, not women who starve themselves to within an inch of their lives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    As a guy, can I just say that she looks far more attractive than people half her weight. Anybody who calls her fat is simply bitter. Men like women with a bit of meat on them, not women who starve themselves to within an inch of their lives.

:rolleyes: This old chestnut!
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member

WRONG! :rolleyes:
  • goodbyetoallfatgoodbyetoallfat Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    but we are not concerned with how she perceives herself. We are concerned with how WE preceive her.

She is chunky and clumsy now, and it will only get worse. Mark my words

Yeah it will get worse if all and sundry / the media and 1000s of internet geeks continue to make comment on the poor lass, who didn't ask to be born Royal, into the most famous family in Britain and have every iota of her life commented on .... and her shape / size / weight / clothes judged.

I grew up *slightly* chunky, but not obese ... however due to incessant bullying, persecution and victimisation whilst I was at school, I steadily lost confidence, withdrew into my shell and the comfort of the biscuit barrel, which resulted in MORE weight gain, until I eventually WAS obese.

I have written a blog about (part) of these unhappy childhood events:

http://goodbyetoallfat.blogspot.com