Southerners! Explain something!

Comments

• flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been practicing my 'Suvern all day' and I have come to realise that words ending with 'ow' becomes 'a' ...

I opened me winda and the wida down the road stopped for a chat.

I got out me wheelbarra and picked a big marra.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    How do you pronounce read, read, reed and Reid?
    My head is spinning. Stop it!! :D
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a southerner and I want to know why people in Durham ask if I am enjoying my "buke". :(
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    I'm a southerner and I want to know why people in Durham ask if I am enjoying my "buke". :(

Is that pronounced 'boook' or 'beuwk'?
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    safety pin
    ballpoint pin
    frying pin

Sith Ifrica!
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    Is that pronounced 'boook' or 'beuwk'?

Depends on which side I'm on. I've only just worked out that when I am offered a "cork" I should say "yes." :D
  • Cherry HatrickCherry Hatrick Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    All you norterners need to come down south and learn how to speak proper like. Its about time you learnt how to pronounce stuff properly :D

Seriously though, i think we have reached a conclusion.

To southern ears 'u' sounds like 'u' and a northern 'u sounds like 'oo'

To northern ears 'u' sounds like 'u' and a southern 'u sounds like 'a'

Emmersonne wrote: »

Up north, book is pronounced b-oo-k, not buck, and not buke as that would rhyme with nuke, short for nuclear; that has a y sound in it. :D
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Southerner (assuming Peterborough is in the south), and I've always pronounced it to rhyme with "foot".
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny-br wrote: »
    Yep, it's breakfast - lunch - dinner. No matter if you eat your evening meal in front of the telly or at the Savoy, it's still dinner. Supper is for posh people. Tea is a drink. :D

so at school you had 'lunch ladies' then? Funny, the rest us had 'dinner ladies'.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    so at school you had 'lunch ladies' then? Funny, the rest us had 'dinner ladies'.

We had servants. :rolleyes:
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right. You know the word 'put'. Everywhere in the world, that is pronounced correctly - ie 'put'. With a u. No one ever says 'pat'.

So how come when a t is added, (putt, as in golf) it becomes 'pat'?

To the point where you pronounce the same word - putting - in a totally different way (patting).

For instance: 'His 'putting' has been 'putting' his driving to shame today.' Genuine question. As a northerner, I can't get my head round it. A u is a u. As in other European languages - why is it different here?!

What on earth are you talking about??:sleep:
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I bet Phil from Time Team don't.
    He's from Wiltshire, so he probably does use the long "ah" sound in words like "bath" or "glass".
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No,because at school I had my proper main meal in the middle of the day, therefore it was dinner.
    When I went home I had a sandwich and a biscuit or some fruit and that was tea ( as it was a little meal).

Since I've grown up and I have my proper meal at night ( as most grown up people do, as it's more convenient) it's dinner at night and lunch ( sandwich / beans on toast / jacket spud eg) at midday.
    It's the type of meal that determines what it's called, not the time of day it's eaten.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    fastzombie wrote: »
    This is interesting, If this is how Shakespears players spoke - being, as I'd imagine them to be, London based - they sound more west country.

http://www.openculture.com/2013/09/what-shakespeare-sounded-like-to-shakespeare.html

But Shakespeare and presumably some of his players were from Stratford upon Avon.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was growing up we'd have Breakfast - Dinner at lunchtime at school - Then Tea (sandwich etc) and then my parents would have Supper (their cooked meal in the evening), Except at weekends when we'd have dinner together in the evening.
    Forum Member
    We have lunch at mid-day and tea (our main meal) in the evening if we're at home. If we went out for an evening meal we'd probably just refer to it as an "evening meal"!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, we had dinner ladies, but they served us LUNCH. ;)

In your school timetable was the break labelled "lunch" or "dinner"?
    Forum Member
    johnny-br wrote: »
    No, we had dinner ladies, but they served us LUNCH. ;)

In your school timetable was the break labelled "lunch" or "dinner"?

I can't remember ever seeing a timetable at my primary school! But mid-day meals were always referred to as school dinners.
  • lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No,because at school I had my proper main meal in the middle of the day, therefore it was dinner.
    When I went home I had a sandwich and a biscuit or some fruit and that was tea ( as it was a little meal).

Since I've grown up and I have my proper meal at night ( as most grown up people do, as it's more convenient) it's dinner at night and lunch ( sandwich / beans on toast / jacket spud eg) at midday.
    It's the type of meal that determines what it's called, not the time of day it's eaten.

I disagree.

It's always been breakfast, lunch and dinner (or supper if you are liberal and don't want to sound posh)

Tea is served at 4 o'clock and consists of a three tiered cake stand with little sandwiches on the bottom (cut in triangles with the crusts removed) and cakes and scones on the top two tiers, and a pot of tea with china cups (NOT mugs)

No idea why people insist on calling meat an two veg served a 6pm 'tea'. ;)
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We had "lunchtime supervisors" :)
  • Cherry HatrickCherry Hatrick Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When I was at school (1950s) we had breakfast at home, ate our snack in the mid-morning break, known as the lunch break, our dinner in the middle of the school day, our tea when we got home from school, and if we were lucky, got a milky drink and biscuit supper before we went to bed.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Up north, book is pronounced b-oo-k, not buck, and not buke as that would rhyme with nuke, short for nuclear; that has a y sound in it. :D

I'm a northerner, I pronounce it buck.

I also find that half the north east pronounce 8 flatly.
    Forum Member
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I'm a northerner, I pronounce it buck.
    That sounds unusual. Which part of the north are you from?
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    That sounds unusual. Which part of the north are you from?

Teesside. My parents pronounce it buke. Me and my brother are always teasing them about it.
    Forum Member
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    Teesside. My parents pronounce it buke. Me and my brother are always teasing them about it.

Do most Teessiders pronounce book and buck the same or is it just you being difficult? :)