That Day We Sang

Comments

• jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I thought I would give it a bash for a bit and see what it was like as I'm not the biggest fan of Michael Ball, I absolutely love Imelda Staunton though.

Wow!!!! am i glad I did, it was wonderful, Victoria Wood just keeps getting better and better, the storyline was so sweet without being mawkish and the singing was lovely, I loved the bit in the Bernie Inn, every line was a blast from the past, I wonder how she remembers it all, it took me right back to the sixties.

I wondered why the mother had such a downer on music being played, couldn't figure that one out.

As someone else mentioned, the bit at the end with the doorman was a good touch, I didn't recognise Ian Lavender at first, and Daniel Rigby was almost unrecognisable from the BT Infinity ads. Brilliant stuff, I'll probably watch it again on iplayer. Victoria Wood, you are a genius!!!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am wondering if the mother had such a downer on music because Tubby's dad was a musician. This was implied in the scene where the man stopped in the street and gave Tubby the gramophone player before asking him if he remembered receiving a ball from him some years before. He then told Tubby he was going to America. The mother showed up and it was clear they had 'history'.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wood is turning out to be National Treasure material, the new Alan Bennett.

28 posts and all positive, surely a record ?

I must look for the repeat or watch on I-Player.
  • chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    Have just watched it after reading the reviews on here. Totally deserves all the praise. It made me laugh and made me cry. It was sublime. Victoria wood back to her very best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To coin Enid's words on her experience of singing 'Nymphs and Shepherds' in the choir, the whole thing was just 'joyful'! I know I said it earlier but the bit at the end when we realised the doorman was the former stern teacher who little Tubby won over- and when they remembered each other- that did for me almost as much as the romance between Tubby and Enid.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Am wondering if the mother had such a downer on music because Tubby's dad was a musician. This was implied in the scene where the man stopped in the street and gave Tubby the gramophone player before asking him if he remembered receiving a ball from him some years before. He then told Tubby he was going to America. The mother showed up and it was clear they had 'history'.

I took it that the bloke was his Dad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    I thought I would give it a bash for a bit and see what it was like as I'm not the biggest fan of Michael Ball, I absolutely love Imelda Staunton though.

Wow!!!! am i glad I did, it was wonderful, Victoria Wood just keeps getting better and better, the storyline was so sweet without being mawkish and the singing was lovely, I loved the bit in the Bernie Inn, every line was a blast from the past, I wonder how she remembers it all, it took me right back to the sixties.

I wondered why the mother had such a downer on music being played, couldn't figure that one out.

As someone else mentioned, the bit at the end with the doorman was a good touch, I didn't recognise Ian Lavender at first, and Daniel Rigby was almost unrecognisable from the BT Infinity ads. Brilliant stuff, I'll probably watch it again on iplayer. Victoria Wood, you are a genius!!!

I think she recalls it as she is aged 61.
    I am 10 years younger and can remember going to Berni Inns with my parents and siblings, they were the first type of restaurants I can remember.
    As soon as I saw the menu if fetched memories flooding back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took it that the bloke was his Dad.

Yep. As adult Tubby said, "You bugger!"
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topaz10 wrote: »
    Absolutely loved it ! The description of Black forest gateau as 'a cake in drag' was priceless :)

Oh yes, - a laugh out loud moment!

In fact the 'Berni Inn' song was the highlight of an outstanding show for me.
    Imelda Staunton was brilliant.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll have to explain the Berny Inn thing. it's a cultural reference lost to us in Northern Britain.
  • CheshirecheeseCheshirecheese Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    It was utterly delightful. :)
    The most delightfully unexpected treat on t.v. this Christmas. Well done to Michael B, Imelda S and the little boy who played Tubby as a child
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    You'll have to explain the Berny Inn thing. it's a cultural reference lost to us in Northern Britain.

Oh dear Bernie Inns 'was the bees knees ' for going for a meal in the sixties,prawn cocktail to start,then steak,chips etc,the desert was always Black Forest gateaux.. Aww wonderful memories...:)
    Bernie Inns were considered the best for a good meal back in sixties.. I suppose equivalent would h be Harvestors...back then you didn't have loads of cheap restaurants to go to..Berni Inns ruled. :)
    Beautiful program..
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I am just about to watch this - I love Victoria Wood's works!! I'm sure I'll enjoy it. :)
  • theiatheia Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll add my praise to all the posts above, what a lovely film. And I really enjoyed That Musical We Made too, especially the 1975 clips of some of the original choir.

Well done to Victoria Wood and everyone else involved. It was magical.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear Bernie Inns 'was the bees knees ' for going for a meal in the sixties,prawn cocktail to start,then steak,chips etc,the desert was always Black Forest gateaux.. Aww wonderful memories...:)
    Bernie Inns were considered the best for a good meal back in sixties.. I suppose equivalent would h be Harvestors...back then you didn't have loads of cheap restaurants to go to..Berni Inns ruled. :)
    Beautiful program..

Ah yes and not forgetting gammon and pineapple! :D Brilliant stuff! I first heard about this when Victoria was on Graham Norton, but then missed it, so a big thanks for the heads up. Did I recall her saying that the same person who did the choreography for Happiness Street - complete with foot in bucket, did the Singing in the Rain song and dance number for Morecambe and Wise?
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone who missed it, it is now on iPlayer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I can count on one hand the stuff I've enjoyed watching over Christmas, but this was great, and i agree with the comments on Victoria Wood - she's a real treasure both as a writer and a performer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have a read about 'Berni Inns' here.
    http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bernis-gave-appetite-dining/story-21061541-detail/story.html
    They were 'up north' as well as that was where I first went to one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Delightful story so well played by the cast.

I was singing along to Nymphs and Shepherds and it's been 46 years since I last sang it!!

Loved all the period details of everyday life - the hair drier, the Berni Inn scene. It was so rich in detail and atmosphere. The story was well paced and thoroughly engaging.

This real genius at work - surely Dame Victoria soon? Look at her output over the years, all gloriously entertaining and usually very funny.

I am needless to say a lifelong fan since her singing slot on That's Life😄
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it yet as we were at our son's for Christmas but as I adore Michael Ball and Victoria Wood I will definitely be watching it on catch up. I remember my boyfriend taking me to a Berni Inn in the early 70's and thinking it was really posh. I honestly can't ever remember going out for a meal with my parents though. (I'm a poor Northerner you see ;-) )
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael and Imelda were brilliant together (as they were in Sweeney in completely different roles) Victoria Wood's writing and direction sublime. Shame 'That day we sang' was hidden away on BBC two as it was the best thing on tv this Christmas by a country mile.

Victoria Wood is talented both as a performer and writer and so far I have enjoyed all the stuff she has done. As you say it is a shame it was on BBC2, I hate saying that as it makes BBC2 sound like a dumping ground but there are many people who will only look for what's on on the main channels as that is what they think will appeal to them so an awful lot of people will have missed this who would have enjoyed it just as much as I did.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member

Errrrmmm as has been explained Berni Inns were a steakhouse chain in the 60s/70s but they were most definitely present in the North!

I went to 2 in Liverpool City Centre in the 1970s when I was a student there - one above the ferry terminal on Pier Head, the other one down at the bottom of Dale Street, so they were definitely around in Northern England (and Victoria is a Mancunian).

Sort a cheaper version of the Angus Steakhouses that are still around today......( in the London area)
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I'm not a big musical fan, so I almost didn't watch this, but I love Victoria Wood and decided to give this a whirl and I'm so glad I did because it was terrific. It was an uplifting and heartwarming show that left you with a great big smile on your face and a tear falling down your cheeks - just what Christmas telly is all about. Catch it on IPlayer if you've missed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member

They had Berni Inns all over the UK, didn't they? Besides, the show is set in the North!!!
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a big musical fan, so I almost didn't watch this, but I love Victoria Wood and decided to give this a whirl and I'm so glad I did because it was terrific. It was an uplifting and heartwarming show that left you with a great big smile on your face and a tear falling down your cheeks - just what Christmas telly is all about. Catch it on IPlayer if you've missed it.

A perfect description for a brilliant programme which should have been the centrepiece of BBC1's schedule instead of on BBC2 at 9pm.

Iit managed to be funny, warm, entertaining and genuine moving, and the performances were perfect. We expect Imedla Staunton to be sublime and she was, but Michael Ball had just the right combination of humour and sadness.

Daniel Rigby was good too (nice touch having him become Ian Lavender!) - he really deserves some decent roles to get him away from those dreadful ads!

The best thing on TV this Christmas by far. :)