Who should represent the UK next year?

Comments

• allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get everyone hyped, on Scott Mill's radio show just now he said that he knows who the UK representative is and he's hearing the song next week! (Bearing in mind he's the commentator for the semi-finals on the BBC) So we should be hearing it soon then!

I thought that we had to have some form of national selection this year? Or has it been changed? Either way I'm expecting to be dissapointed :(
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that we had to have some form of national selection this year? Or has it been changed? Either way I'm expecting to be dissapointed :(

The Daily Mail made that up.

I see Dr Eurovision has deleted his tweets.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Eccentric Women that gays will love front what about Kate Bush?
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »

I hope not. Waaay too pretentious for eurovision.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member

Even the Olympics couldn't tempt Kate Bush out of retirement, I very much doubt Eurovision would stand a chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Never in a billion years. Yet Loreen would probably implode with the thought :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha, her name just popped in my head when I was thinking. You never know she might have watched Loreen and thought she would show her how its done, back to Geri now as I can't think of anyone else. That fits in with the two clues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha, her name just popped in my head when I was thinking. You never know she might have watched Loreen and thought she would show her how its done, back to Geri now as I can't think of anyone else. That fits in with the two clues.

I suppose it determines how much we rely on the eccentric/gaga lady rumor. As that would include the likes of Kim Wilde and the like. In my mind any gay that watches eurovsion would most certainly not want Gerry or love her. I'm not sure out the Spice Girls she's come top 3 for gay following.

The female/ gays will love her can create a massive list of possibilities. e.g. it could be a Pastora Ballad for example (Leanne Mitchell :mad:) or even the likes of Bo both from the Flop/ Voice
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    People keep going on about appealing to the gays, but is there any evidence that Eurovision has any mass gay appeal outside of the UK? Surely it's only the UK that has the view that Eurovision is camp and kitsch?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »
    People keep going on about appealing to the gays, but is there any evidence that Eurovision has any mass gay appeal outside of the UK? Surely it's only the UK that has the view that Eurovision is camp and kitsch?

I'd guess the hardcore fans in most western countries would be gay and less and less as you go eastwards and maybe northwards. This would be reflected in the OGAE demographics I'd imagine and fan bloggers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it determines how much we rely on the eccentric/gaga lady rumor. As that would include the likes of Kim Wilde and the like. In my mind any gay that watches eurovsion would most certainly not want Gerry or love her. I'm not sure out the Spice Girls she's come top 3 for gay following.

The female/ gays will love her can create a massive list of possibilities. e.g. it could be a Pastora Ballad for example (Leanne Mitchell :mad:) or even the likes of Bo both from the Flop/ Voice

I think Leanne wouldn't be a bad choice if she had a good strong ballad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The problem I have is she clearly suffered stage fright on the Voice and we can't afford another vocal cockup.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Annie Lennox?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't happen. Seeing as Paddy thought it was Girls Aloud and Dr. Eurovision Kim maybe they've been leaked wrong information on purpose. Yet if the BBC thought they'd be good choices god forbid what the actual choice is.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Leanne isn't exactly a big name though is she. Has she even had an album out?
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Englebert and Blue were big names. Didn't seem to make any difference to them so I don't understand why anyone thinks it's important.

Having said that, I can't understand why people think anyone who can;t win votes in a talent competition in this country is somehow going to do any better in Europe either.
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »
    Englebert and Blue were big names. Didn't seem to make any difference to them so I don't understand why anyone thinks it's important.

The whole point of the BBC internally selecting though was to try and attract more big names to the contest. If they chose a nobody without any input from the public I think people would rightly be pretty peeved. You can point to Rybak, Lena and Loreen all you want but they were all chosen by the public.
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC seem more focused on ratings than a decent result, but then the decision of Katie Taylor to veto Katie Melua and Pixie Lott in favour of Pete Waterman and Engelbert seems a bit odd if that's what they were trying to achieve. We would have had Jason Donovan last year had he not turned it down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    The BBC seem more focused on ratings than a decent result, but then the decision of Katie Taylor to veto Katie Melua and Pixie Lott in favour of Pete Waterman and Engelbert seems a bit odd if that's what they were trying to achieve. We would have had Jason Donovan last year had he not turned it down.

I could imagine the list they have each year (we know it exists include) these would be included

1 Barrowman
    2 Steps
    3 Donnovan
    4 Any singer on strictly that did well
    5 Alfie Boe or Katherine Jenkins

It is about getting in ratings yet the BBC fail to realise if they send a song the public will buy and think can win they will get those ratings. 2010, 2008 and 2012 were flops compared to their preceding years as they were hopeless or not utter cheesefests.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could imagine the list they have each year (we know it exists include) these would be included

1 Barrowman
    2 Steps
    3 Donnovan
    4 Any singer on strictly that did well
    5 Alfie Boe or Katherine Jenkins

It is about getting in ratings yet the BBC fail to realise if they send a song the public will buy and think can win they will get those ratings. 2010, 2008 and 2012 were flops compared to their preceding years as they were hopeless or not utter cheesefests.

If they ever pick Barrowman i'd be praying for no points.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    If they ever pick Barrowman i'd be praying for no points.

I think he knows that and that's why the list of 10 as he calls it never except unless perhaps they faced becoming bankrupt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Katherine Jenkins could do well with a popera song(could go the way of La Voix but I like that song anyway), she's the only one on that list I would accept though.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    On the Eccentric Lady front has anyone mentioned Paloma Faith, there's also a very handy break in her touring schedule from February to the beginning of June.... ;) (Personally I think she'd be fantastic! :D)
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Dodd for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    On the Eccentric Lady front has anyone mentioned Paloma Faith, there's also a very handy break in her touring schedule from February to the beginning of June.... ;) (Personally I think she'd be fantastic! :D)

Yeah on the other thread. She said last year she wouldn't yet so did Pastora. Also she's focousing on the US.