The Spice Girls are 95% confirmed to perform for the London 2012 Closing Ceremony.

kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Key Points

Posh:
“I’m so respectful of my past and I love the other girls.

"We have some fantastic fans. Who knows, maybe some day we’ll do something else with the Spice Girls. I would love nothing more.

“I don’t know about a comeback tour but I loved being back with the girls.

“There was a lot of fun, we did so much together and we’ll see. If they’re up for something then I certainly am.”

We are so proud to be English and we are very excited about the Olympics.”

Geri is planning on wearing a version of the infamous Union Flag dress
    • They will reportedly sing two songs, one of which will be Wannabe. (My guess at the second would be Viva Forever to promote their musical of the same name opening in November - Official Website)

Mirror

Daily Mail

Telegraph

Herald Sun

Huffington Post

Comments

• MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
      Forum Member
      Ok I'm all for them doing a couple of numbers for the ceremony, but if those are the songs they are doing, I'd rather they didn't bother.
    • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      A lot of thought went into your post
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
      Forum Member
      That would be the icing on my double chocolate cake!:D Come on spicies u know u want to!
    • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Joel's dad wrote: »
      A lot of thought went into your post

This is serious business.
    • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      So the eyes of the world are looking on the closing ceremony concert showing the best of British music and they rake up the bloody Spice Girls!
      A marketing campaign, sorry, a band who sold millions of records to children for 3 years in the late 90's.
      Those children have now grown up. Hence the failure of their 3rd album and Single from a few years ago. Maybe they could invite East 17 or Bananas in Pyjamas?
      It would carry the same weight.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Theshane wrote: »
      So the eyes of the world are looking on the closing ceremony concert showing the best of British music and they rake up the bloody Spice Girls!
      A marketing campaign, sorry, a band who sold millions of records to children for 3 years in the late 90's.
      Those children have now grown up. Hence the failure of their 3rd album and Single from a few years ago. Maybe they could invite East 17 or Bananas in Pyjamas?
      It would carry the same weight.

These 'kids' who have now grown up are the people who went to their 47 Reunion Tour dates around the world in 2007/8.. They sold out venues like Madison Square Gardens in New York, The Staples Center in LA and 17 nights at the 02 Arena!

Their first date sold out in 38 seconds for goodness sake.

Tickets for Viva Forever the new musical based on the songs of The Spice Girls are selling faster than Nicki Minaj's UK tour.

I highly doubt the creator of Mamma Mia! would choose the Spice Girls as her musical encore if she thought that there was no interest in the group...

LOL.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      UPDATE:

People who know me on the boards know that I can usually be trusted in the matters of Spice and I don't mean to alarm you but I do believe that this is going to be confirmed shortly.

Well, put it this way, I have heard from an extremely reliable source that all five have now officially agreed.

Just sit tight. Exciting!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      kenny12 wrote: »
      These 'kids' who have now grown up are the people who went to their 47 Reunion Tour dates around the world in 2007/8.. They sold out venues like Madison Square Gardens in New York, The Staples Center in LA and 17 nights at the 02 Arena!

Their first date sold out in 38 seconds for goodness sake.

Tickets for Viva Forever the new musical based on the songs of The Spice Girls are selling faster than Nicki Minaj's UK tour.

I highly doubt the creator of Mamma Mia! would choose the Spice Girls as her musical encore if she thought that there was no interest in the group...

LOL.

The creator of Mama Mia.
      There's a ringing endorsement if ever there was one.

There maybe interest in the group but no way they should be at the Olympics in a celebration of great British music. A teen sensation that sold millions in America, with jingoistic fashion sense.
      They'd be just as well bringing the Bay City Rollers back.

Where were all these 'fans' who went to the reunion when the 3rd album fell in its arse?
      Could it possibly be that the reunion tour sold largely out of novelty? That would explain why the new material the released around that time also fell on its arse.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      The creator of Mama Mia.

There maybe interest in the group but no way they should be at the Olympics in a celebration of great British music. A teen sensation that sold millions in America, with jingoistic fashion sense.

Where were all these 'fans' who went to the reunion when the 3rd album fell in its arse?
      Could it possibly be that the reunion tour sold largely out of novelty? That would explain why the new material the released around that time also fell on its arse.

The third album fell on its arse simply cause of the Geri saga the SG were and have always been 5 In everyone's eyes
      I get what u are saying though.
      Speaking as a fan yes it's all about the nostalgia but. No one can say they failed at the reunion tour I think there was a story there the whole Geri being back and seeing all 5 again obviously helped.
    • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      UPDATE:

People who know me on the boards know that I can usually be trusted in the matters of Spice and I don't mean to alarm you but I do believe that this is going to be confirmed shortly.

Well, put it this way, I have heard from an extremely reliable source that all five have now officially agreed.

Just sit tight. Exciting!

thanks for the information. there`s bound to be some cynical criticism if true and of course the usual protagonists will be out in force desperate for attention as per usual.:rolleyes: try to rise above it.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Zone_Out wrote: »
      The third album fell on its arse simply cause of the Geri saga the SG were and have always been 5 In everyone's eyes
      I get what u are saying though.
      Speaking as a fan yes it's all about the nostalgia but. No one can say they failed at the reunion tour I think there was a story there the whole Geri being back and seeing all 5 again obviously helped.

You can't say the 3rd album failed because Geri had left.
      They released Goodbye as a four piece and got a number one out of it. It might even have been christmas number one.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      The creator of Mama Mia.

Their third album was entitled Forever and was released in 2000 after the departure of Geri Halliwell. It was a commercial 'flop' in comparison to the last two albums which combined sold over 40 million copies. However it did reach number 2 in the UK and number 39 in the US.

Their Greatest Hits album that was released in 2007 reached number 2 in the UK and number 1 in eleven other countries.

Headlines their 2007 single was released to promote the tour.. as it turned out, the song wasn't very good and only reached number 11 in the UK and the tour didn't need any promotion!

However, I fail to see how this is relevant, the girls don't want to release new music, we don't want new music, the Musical and Olympics performance is a celebration of a Great British global phenomenon.
      Whether to your personal taste or not, the Spice Girls defined the 90's in pop culture across the world and are icons to a generation of nineties kids.

Girl Power.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      You can't say the 3rd album failed because Geri had left.
      They released Goodbye as a four piece and got a number one out of it. It might even have been christmas number one.

Yes single wise they did well even holler got to number 1 but when it came to the album they Geri saga and them being a four piece did affect them in a huge way. The public knew it and even they knew it.
      Also the grown up sound they went for the more mature RnB instead of the fun pop sound they were used to.
      Also I think that many had ventured into solo careers before the release of Forever didn't help and many if not all knew that was the end.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Haters back off.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Their third album was entitled Forever and was released in 2000 after the departure of Geri Halliwell. It was a commercial 'flop' in comparison to the last two albums which combined sold over 40 million copies. However it did reach number 2 in the UK and number 39 in the US.

Their Greatest Hits album that was released in 2007 reached number 2 in the UK and number 1 in eleven other countries.

Headlines their 2007 single was released to promote the tour.. as it turned out, the song wasn't very good and only reached number 11 in the UK and the tour didn't need any promotion!

However, I fail to see how this is relevant, the girls don't want to release new music, we don't want new music, the Musical and Olympics performance is a celebration of a Great British global phenomenon.
      Whether to your personal taste or not, the Spice Girls defined the 90's in pop culture across the world and are icons to a generation of nineties kids.

Girl Power.

It's relevant in that the Olympics ceremony is supposed to be a celebration of Great British music. It's not about a pop culture phenomenon that sold lots of records 14 years ago.
      Selling a lot and having an awesome marketing campaign that put your face on every conceivable product does not make a great band.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      It's relevant in that the Olympics ceremony is supposed to be a celebration of Great British music. It's not about a pop culture phenomenon that sold lots of records 14 years ago.
      Selling a lot and having an awesome marketing campaign that put your face on every conceivable product does not make a great band.

Personal taste dear, personal taste.

The Spice Girls was first and foremost about the music.

you don't sell 75 Million records on hype and marketing - otherwise Katie Price and Kim Kardashian's ill fated pop careers would have taken off.

They have released some genuinely brilliant pop songs.

Say You'll Be There
      Mama
      Who Do You Think You Are
      2 Become 1
      Goodbye
      Too Much
      Spice Up Your Life
      Viva Forever
      Stop

But the Spice Girls have always had their knockers...

Haters gonna hate.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Personal taste dear, personal taste.

The Spice Girls was first and foremost about the music.

you don't sell 75 Million records on hype and marketing - otherwise Katie Price and Kim Kardashian's ill fated pop careers would have taken off.

They have released some genuinely brilliant pop songs.

Say You'll Be There
      Mama
      Who Do You Think You Are
      2 Become 1
      Goodbye
      Too Much
      Spice Up Your Life
      Viva Forever
      Stop

But the Spice Girls have always had their knockers...

Haters gonna hate.

Seriously?
      Haters gonna hate.
      Grow up.

The Spice Girls were a miracle of marketing aimed at teen girls who could identify with at least one of them. Then they became a brand sticking their face on anything and everything from lunch boxes to dolls and t-shirts. They became a product much like the boys equivalent, Teenage Turtles earlier in the decade.
      As for their music. Their back catalogue is about as remarkable a Boyzones was. Just because it sold a lot, it doesn't make a song any better.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      The Spice Girls at an event like this just seems out of place and embarrassing given Victoria's ridiculousness with her "persona" and the fact that it's clear as day most of them can't stand each other.

I'd rather see someone along the lines of Emeli Sandé, Florence Welch, or Adele. Why not actually keep with the times and show some progression?
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Seriously?
      Haters gonna hate.
      Grow up.

The Spice Girls were a miracle of marketing aimed at teen girls who could identify with at least one of them. Then they became a brand sticking their face on anything and everything from lunch boxes to dolls and t-shirts. They became a product much like the boys equivalent, Teenage Turtles earlier in the decade.
      As for their music. Their back catalogue is about as remarkable a Boyzones was. Just because it sold a lot, it doesn't make a song any better.

They appealed to everyone not just teen girls I remember boys girls teen and even adults liking them weather your taste or not they had some brilliant songs yes the pop stuff was more. Cheesy. The fact that their music has lived on shows that.
      People who arent a fan will knock. Which is fine not everyone has to like them But you can't deny them.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      They appealed to everyone not just teen girls I remember boys girls teen and even adults liking them weather your taste or not they had some brilliant songs yes the pop stuff was more. Cheesy. The fact that their music has lived on shows that.
      People who arent a fan will knock. Which is fine not everyone has to like them But you can't deny them.

Boys were not in to the Spice Girls. For us boys it was all about Pulp, Blur, Suede, The Verve, Chemical Brothers and Oasis.
      It was really young kids, under ten, who were into the Spice Girls.
      I had to take my cousin, who was 5 at the time, to see Spiceworld the movie. It ruined my Boxing Day and I've never forgiven him. Although if you remind him of his Preschool Spice love now, he denies it. It's his secret shame.
      Of course I have a picture of him with a 'Baby' doll and wearing a Geri mask that will be getting used to humiliate him on his 21st Birthday.
    • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
      Forum Member
      ✭✭

Their music hasn't lived on though, it's not selling anymore. The solo careers have all but disappeared, no-one but fans want to hear them, and they're a big minority.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Key Points

Posh:
      “I’m so respectful of my past and I love the other girls.

"We have some fantastic fans. Who knows, maybe some day we’ll do something else with the Spice Girls. I would love nothing more.

“I don’t know about a comeback tour but I loved being back with the girls.

“There was a lot of fun, we did so much together and we’ll see. If they’re up for something then I certainly am.”

We are so proud to be English and we are very excited about the Olympics.”

Geri is planning on wearing a version of the infamous Union Flag dress
        • They will reportedly sing two songs, one of which will be Wannabe. (My guess at the second would be Viva Forever to promote their musical of the same name opening in November - Official Website)

Mirror

Daily Mail

Telegraph

Herald Sun

Huffington Post

BIB - Shows what a bullshitter Posh is, the girls barely tolerate each other, the last photo of them together confirmed that :rolleyes:
      • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
        Forum Member
        Boys were not in to the Spice Girls. For us boys it was all about Pulp, Blur, Suede, The Verve, Chemical Brothers and Oasis.

Speak for yourself :rolleyes:
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        It was really young kids, under ten, who were into the Spice Girls.
        I had to take my cousin, who was 5 at the time, to see Spiceworld the movie. It ruined my Boxing Day and I've never forgiven him. Although if you remind him of his Preschool Spice love now, he denies it. It's his secret shame.
        Of course I have a picture of him with a 'Baby' doll and wearing a Geri mask that will be getting used to humiliate him on his 21st Birthday.

Yes they were Guarenteed now yes it might not be cool to admit it but I know plenty who will admit to liking them as a kid there is no shame in it.
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        Their music hasn't lived on though, it's not selling anymore. The solo careers have all but disappeared, no-one but fans want to hear them, and they're a big minority.

Music doesn't have to still sell there's plenty of sings that don't sell but you will still hear every now and again today!
        What have their solo careers got to do with it