Selling Albums at Music Venues.

sunrisegirlsunrisegirl Posts: 302
Forum Member
This is quit interesting.

Selling albums at music venues in the UK, US and any country where nielsen soundscan count sales, venues have to pay each year to report sales to the charts in that country. Some of these venues are so small that it's not worth them paying for sales that might just add up to a few hundred each week.
It's not like your normal retail store when sales are reported each week, the sales that are sold at venues and are not counted are like the old BMG Music/Britannia Music clubs in the 80s and 90s. Those sales have never been added to official sales.

Those music club sales are in their millions, same with books and videos at that time.

Anyone think they should be added?

Comments

• uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no. the charts have pretty much always been a farce so it wouldn't make much difference
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should
    Whenever you go to the theatre to see a musical, they sell the soundtrack album there. I nearly did this with wicked. They were selling it for £16 quid. I am glad i never did, because i got it for a fiver a few days later online. But ignoring that, yeah they should sell albums or dvd's relating to that artist.
  • sunrisegirlsunrisegirl Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I think they should
    Whenever you go to the theatre to see a musical, they sell the soundtrack album there. I nearly did this with wicked. They were selling it for £16 quid. I am glad i never did, because i got it for a fiver a few days later online. But ignoring that, yeah they should sell albums or dvd's relating to that artist.

The Billy Elliot soundtrack to the musical sold over 200K at the theatre over the years and sales have never been added to the official charts or data base.

I was at the Pink concert and they sold CDs there, so it would be the sale with her sales.
  • twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Billy Elliot soundtrack to the musical sold over 200K at the theatre over the years and sales have never been added to the official charts or data base.

I was at the Pink concert and they sold CDs there, so it would be the sale with her sales.

Well, if they have to pay Soundscan to have them reported. Why bother. Keep the money.

There are lots of sales like this from alternative venues that Soundscan doesn't report. Management decides whether they're sufficient to make chart impact and create publicity to drive more sales. Doubt that's true in many cases.