Laptop on the way out?

Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
Forum Member
✭✭
For the last few days my laptop fan has been making more noise then usual. It's making noise and it's not even warm underneath.

My battery keeps me giving notifications that it needs to be replaced so could that be something to with the frequent fan noise these last few days?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be that the increase in fan speed is managing to contain overheating - it might be dust and fluff causing poor airflow. You could try sucking out any fluff causing problems with a vacuum cleaner, but the best way will be to open the case up and give it a good clear out.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most common reasons for fan noise are...

Gunge clogging up the cooling system so the fan has to work harder.
    Bearings failing.
    Something caught in the fan hitting the blades.
    Fan blade broken.

If possible try opening up the laptop to locate the fan and the rest of the cooling system and give the whole lot a good clean out. Often that simply involves lifting the keyboard out of the way. If you google the make and model you might find a service manual online or a YouTube video showing how to do this.

If taking the machine apart does not appeal you might get a result using a compressed air can to blow through the vents and dislodge the gunge. Not as good as getting up close and personal with the fan but might do the trick.

If it is a mechanical failure the only solution might be to replace the fan. That can be as simple as undoing a couple of screws and unplugging the lead from the motherboard.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had a hot couple of days, so I'm surprised we haven't had more 'my fan is making a lot of noise' threads.
  • TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Gunge clogging up the cooling system so the fan has to work harder.

Ugh! That reminds me of the time that I cleaned a laptop fan that was clogged with nicotine & tar gunge from a heavy smoker.

In the end, out of pure desperation, I ended up pouring methylated spirits through the exit fins to clear the muck. It worked a treat, the paper towels I used to catch the residue were absolutely stinking.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Download Core Temp to give an idea of temps.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

You may be able to give a blast of compressed air into the exhaust vent to clean dust (try Poundland for a can)

Otherwise it's a stripdown. Google Youtube videos for your model if you want to have a go.

Your battery is an unrelated issue, apart perhaps from warm weather.
    Buy a new one if you want to go mobile. Otherwise just run off mains.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to overheat now after being on for a good 10 minutes and that's even when doing standard browsing. It's been on 24 minutes this morning and already the fan is sounding.

The fan also sounds when the laptop is touched or pushed lightly.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My new Compaq vibrated/noisy 4 years ago.

I never tracked down if it was crap build quality or dry bearings.

Anyway, I superglued the fan to the motherboard, because it was only held on by two screws and could have been loose at one end.

And I pulled the fan blades off its axis and applied two drops of 3-in-one oil.
    Been fine ever since.

If you are frightened of laptops, don't try it.
    But google disassembly on your model, or get the maintenance manua/service guidel, if you are up for it.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be able to control the fan noise with HP Coolsense but HP go rid of that during the latest support manager update and now my fans settings seem to have been altered because of that as it's sounding quite frequent now.

I felt the fan just now and it's not even that warm.