Options

Is There a Baby Agenda?

kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Note: This is meant to be a light hearted thread. Just an observation I made today!

Is it just me or are there more pregnant women going about just now than you can ever remember?

Today whilst walking down the high street, I couldn't seem to move five feet without either seeing a newborn baby or a heavily pregnant woman.

Or is there just something in the water here? :D

Comments

• Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were you in Mothercare again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henderson wrote: »
    Were you in Mothercare again?

I've never been in Mothercare in my life* :D They were all hanging about outside Primark :D

(*although my parents used to chuck me on the electronic 20p-a-shot train outside the local Adams store whenever they wanted peace and quiet... :D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine swears there is a reason that teen pregnancies aren't really discouraged (she's a bit of a conspiracy theorist). Kids from poor/difficult backgrounds are more likely to join the army/military as their options will be limited, therefore in 10/20 years time, we'll have a massive army and will go fight some wars... or something :D

I do know a lot of pregnant people at the moment, everyone is breeding like rabbits at the moment!
  • Options
    digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh yeah... I forgot about mothercare, and primark, and the 20p slot trains... The UK is a fascinating place! And for your information the UK is in a baby boom at the moment.
  • Options
    4pounds644pounds64 Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My theory is it's to do with the clocks changing - loads of dark evenings spent in the house.... you see a lot of new babies knocking around 9 and half months after peak summer holiday season as well, delayed by a couple of months every four years because of the world cup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I do know a lot of pregnant people at the moment, everyone is breeding like rabbits at the moment!

A few of my friends are pregnant or desperately trying at the moment and it all just so surreal to me. A lot of people have said "Oh it's because we can't afford to go out etc, so we stay home and this is what happens..." The logical side of me just wants to go 'but a baby costs more than a few nights out in the long run!'

digimon900 wrote: »
    oh yeah... I forgot about mothercare, and primark, and the 20p slot trains... The UK is a fascinating place! And for your information the UK is in a baby boom at the moment.

I've heard that we're in a baby boom, but it's just mind boggling as to 'why' :D It's not that it's a good or a bad thing. I was just wanting to make a general observation :p

4pounds64 wrote: »
    My theory is it's to do with the clocks changing - loads of dark evenings spent in the house.... you see a lot of new babies knocking around 9 and half months after peak summer holiday season as well, delayed by a couple of months every four years because of the world cup.

:D what a great theory. Although my OH shudders quite a lot as she is a 'Valentine's Baby' :D
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's the nicer weather. People tend to wear less heavy outdoor clothes, so bumps aren't "hidden" so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    I think it's the nicer weather. People tend to wear less heavy outdoor clothes, so bumps aren't "hidden" so much.

I was thinking this at first but I don't remember seeing so many pregnant people the past few years at this time of year when everyone whips their tops off :p
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    Note: This is meant to be a light hearted thread. Just an observation I made today!

Is it just me or are there more pregnant women going about just now than you can ever remember?

Today whilst walking down the high street, I couldn't seem to move five feet without either seeing a newborn baby or a heavily pregnant woman.

You're getting broody...
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lot's of pregnancies and newborns around here too. I'm jealous because I'll never have another and I'm very broody :(
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm born at the end of september which makes me a new years eve baby. I only figured this out about a year ago, when we were discussing why so many of us have birthdays in late Sep/earlyOct.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Yes I have seen a rise in babies and pregnant women- unfortunately many seem to be chavs and as we all know scum breed scum.

Could be labour regenerating a new voting pool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    You're getting broody...

With my current circumstances a baby would be highly improbable :D Never really wanted one. Younger siblings were enough! :p
    Lot's of pregnancies and newborns around here too. I'm jealous because I'll never have another and I'm very broody :(

May I be so bold to ask why you can never have another?
    fifilapew wrote: »
    I'm born at the end of september which makes me a new years eve baby. I only figured this out about a year ago, when we were discussing why so many of us have birthdays in late Sep/earlyOct.

It's true that you never seem to realise these things! Years ago when I was at school, I always wondered why there were so many babies born around November and then the penny dropped. I was an early summer holiday baby :o Part of me is convinced I'm the child of a Spanish waiter :D
    late8 wrote: »
    Yes I have seen a rise in babies and pregnant women- unfortunately many seem to be chavs and as we all know scum breed scum.

I've actually noticed a lot more students having kids as well. I've seen a lot lately wearing leavers hoodies (you know, the ones that have the year on the back of them and all the students names on the back of them).
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm too old at 39 to be having more babies. I'm getting my life back now my youngest is 8 but it doesn't stop me from feeling broody though. There's nothing as magical as holding a newborn.
    All the pregnant ladies around me are late 20s, early 30s. I can't rememeber the last time I saw a pregnant teen. Must be true about the ages of mothers rising, certainly round here anyway.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, all babies have agendas...they're creepy like that.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    It did rain a lot last summer.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed an increase in people having children since the recession. I guess it may have something to do with baby = guaranteed tax credits and child benefits to help if we lose our job(s). I have also noticed within the last month for some reason there are more people with newborns or having children.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I've noticed an increase in people having children since the recession. I guess it may have something to do with baby = guaranteed tax credits and child benefits to help if we lose our job(s). I have also noticed within the last month for some reason there are more people with newborns or having children.

No, it's just that it rained a lot and people were looking for something cheap and fun to fill their leisure time because they couldn't afford to go on holiday. Probably couldn't afford condoms either.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    kiviraat wrote: »
    I've actually noticed a lot more students having kids as well. I've seen a lot lately wearing leavers hoodies (you know, the ones that have the year on the back of them and all the students names on the back of them).

Saw a couple pregnant students around uni recently I think. But yeah there are quite a few around at the moment. I know someone who's a nurse and she's pregnant with her 4th child (all girls so far) and she claimed "she didn't know how it happened". I felt like telling her "you're a nurse you should know but if not just Google it" :p:D
  • Options
    k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't understand it. Makes me physically ill to think about all these humans breeding to create more humans. If I was in charge I would sterilise everyone except a very chosen few.
  • Options
    Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably all those cold winter nights we had the end of last year had something to do with it!! Had to keep warm somehow!