New Sky HD Box this month.

jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
Forum Member
According to this site Sky are launching a new Sky_HD box this month. (July)

http://www.skyhdsolutions.com/news/

Anybody heard any rumours about it.

Is the the box with the built in Wifi?

Comments

• TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything's got to be better than my noisy 2tb Sky HD box!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Doesn't sound very plausible, particularly their claim that cards supplied after the launch would only work in the new boxes?.

As is well known, there IS a new box in the pipeline (with in-built WiFi), but when I asked the Sky ASA rep last week (as he was admiring the Sony 4K demo) about it he didn't know when it was likely to be out, but he didn't expect it any time soon.
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Ah....

I thought it a bit odd as I could not find any other reference.
  • RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »

I wasn't happy with the extra noise when I upgraded from my (as good as totally silent) drx890-r to the 2tb drx895-c with its whirring noises and louder clicks as standard issue. It was almost as if they decided to knock 'em out without any sound dampening. Shame, the apparant extra operational noise was a step backward (but the extra storage space is now necessary for the premium experience!).
    Forum Member
    RobSmithS wrote: »
    I wasn't happy with the extra noise when I upgraded from my (as good as totally silent) drx890-r to the 2tb drx895-c with its whirring noises and louder clicks as standard issue. It was almost as if they decided to knock 'em out without any sound dampening.

I would imagine the boxes are identical, apart from the HDD fitted - presumably the 2TB drive is just much noisier?.
  • adam241adam241 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Would any new box released be Xbox One ready, with hdmi in and out?
    Forum Member
    adam241 wrote: »

I would have thought VERY unlikely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    and dont forget the subs go up also
  • Chrisj3456Chrisj3456 Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Tiwttmos wrote: »

My 2TB box is deathly quiet! hardly hear anything at all from it from the day I got it, so they are not all like yours luckily
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Xbox One has HDMI in and out, the Sky box doesn't need to be any different to how it is now.
    Forum Member
    The Xbox One has HDMI in and out, the Sky box doesn't need to be any different to how it is now.

I think you will find it does..

1. Supported television tuner or cable/satellite set top box with HDMI output and HDMI cable required (all sold separately).

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xboxone/what-it-does
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you will find it does..

1. Supported television tuner or cable/satellite set top box with HDMI output and HDMI cable required (all sold separately).

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xboxone/what-it-does

:confused::confused:

All Sky HD boxes (which are now supplied as standard, and have been for some time) already have an HDMI output. The Sky box does not need an HDMI input to work with Xbox One.

Unless you've got an old Thompson, which has no HDMI at all, you won't have a problem.

In any case, there's no rush. Microsoft have already said that the TV functions will only work in the US at launch.
    Forum Member
    Okay my bad so say sky hd boxes will be compatible with the xbox one come november for the live tv feature, would the tv be connected to the xbox by hdmi then another hdmi from xbox to sky hd?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused::confused:

All Sky HD boxes (which are now supplied as standard, and have been for some time) already have an HDMI output. The Sky box does not need an HDMI input to work with Xbox One.

Unless you've got an old Thompson, which has no HDMI at all, you won't have a problem.

In any case, there's no rush. Microsoft have already said that the TV functions will only work in the US at launch.

You are correct but the Xbox One would need access to TV guide and channel info which it currently doesn't have and I can't see Sky doing it in the near future.

What I would like to see is support for HDMI CEC so we can just hit the Sky button and turn the TV over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay my bad so say sky hd boxes will be compatible with the xbox one come november for the live tv feature, would the tv be connected to the xbox by hdmi then another hdmi from xbox to sky hd?

Your Sky box would connect to the Xbox One and then it would connect to the TV.

So you would watch Sky through your Xbox One, the entire thing seems pointless to me but there you go.
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Your Sky box would connect to the Xbox One and then it would connect to the TV.

So you would watch Sky through your Xbox One, the entire thing seems pointless to me but there you go.

Yes i agree it does seem pretty pointless, the only thing it takes out is the switching of inputs on your remote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Firstly, It won't work in November, it is USA only at first. (it may still act as a pass-through, saving you an HDMI socket and letting you flick between games and TV - you'll still need your Sky remote to watch TV though)

Your Sky box HDMI will plug into the Xbox One, and then the Xbox One HDMI will plug into the TV.

What functions you get will depend on how closely Sky and Microsoft work together. At best, your Sky picture will be overlaid with Microsoft's EPG software, and you'll be able to change channels, set recordings, access you planner, interact with programmes etc through voice commands and gestures as your Xbox takes control of your Sky box via your home network.

At worst, you'll need an IR blaster which will mimic your remote. where you'll be able to change channel up and down, but that's about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are correct but the Xbox One would need access to TV guide and channel info which it currently doesn't have and I can't see Sky doing it in the near future.

What I would like to see is support for HDMI CEC so we can just hit the Sky button and turn the TV over.

I think the plan is to eventually let the Xbox One control the Sky box using your home network, much like how the iOS/Android Sky+ app works now, giving it full access to your planner in conjunction with an online version of the EPG and on-demand library. But, as we've said, this depends very much on Sky/MS working together to get the required app onto the Xbox One, which will take time. (if it happens at all, as nothing has been confirmed)
    Forum Member
    Not a surprise really that the US will have it first, they have never been able to watch tv through the xbox 360. (Sky go)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i agree it does seem pretty pointless, the only thing it takes out is the switching of inputs on your remote.

Which if Sky would include CEC would be one press of a button...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a surprise really that the US will have it first, they have never been able to watch tv through the xbox 360. (Sky go)

I also wonder what happens if Xbox live is down... Take last night for example, i couldn't watch TV catchup on my Xbox 360 because live was having problems, and this isn't the first time this has happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They've just done a deal with Time Warner Cable in the US. They'll have up to 300 TV channels on Xbox 360 by the end of the summer.

That said, they've had so many false starts with TV services, it's a bit of a joke to be honest. Their on demand stuff isn't bad though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also wonder what happens if Xbox live is down... Take last night for example, i couldn't watch TV catchup on my Xbox 360 because live was having problems, and this isn't the first time this has happened.

You'd still get pictures, as they will come via satellite rather than IPTV, but with no EPG data you'd have to use your Sky box in the normal way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd still get pictures, as they will come via satellite rather than IPTV, but with no EPG data you'd have to use your Sky box in the normal way.

Yeah I was referring to the EPG data, does that mean an xbox live sub would be required?

There is no doubt I will end up getting an Xbox One at some point but I really can't see me using this feature.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the Thomson box DOES have HDMI.