Options

Do SNP Supporters Think They Can Simply Bully Their Way To Independence?

Comments

• Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the logic fails nationalists who claimed as such.

Anyway there is no point in having an "honest" debate, because frankly neither side will ever be honest. The SNP spin machine won't allow an honest debate either way.

There no "honest" about it really, just 2 entrenched sides with differing opinions about what could happen in the future in the event of a yes vote.

We may as well be quoting the opening of the legendarily bad b movie, Plan 9 from Outer Space- Future events such as these will effect you in the future - Makes about as much sense an an "honest" debate
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyway there is no point in having an "honest" debate, because frankly neither side will ever be honest. The SNP spin machine won't allow an honest debate either way.

Kindly point out who said (and where) that 'anyone who voted SNP supports independence'.

I note that you say only that the SNP won't allow an honest debate either way rather than 'the SNP and Better Together won't allow an honest debate'. Says it all about your bias, IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Works fine for me on an ipad

Cheers, Auld Snody - must just be me. Still doing it! :mad:
    David Tee wrote: »
    I repeat. The Tories are ahead of the SNP in the polls.

The only thing fading away is the distant promise of independence. Or was it freedom?

Polls? As in plural? How many have you?
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Cheers, Auld Snody - must just be me. Still doing it! :mad:

Polls? As in plural? How many have you?

Wow. And I thought I was a pedant.

In AMONG the polls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. And I thought I was a pedant.

In AMONG the polls.

You are. But so am I. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    You are. But so am I. :)

:):)
  • Options
    DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup.

Now, please. No comments about the small sample size. It's an EPIC moment.

You can't do simple arithmetic.

For the main UK parties the total is 100%.

Add the SNP in and the total is 124%.

That of course is a load of bllx.

Hope you aren't in charge of a budget.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davser wrote: »
    You can't do simple arithmetic.

For the main UK parties the total is 100%.

Add the SNP in and the total is 124%.

That of course is a load of bllx.

Hope you aren't in charge of a budget.

:D

Oh dear.

The total is still 100% because 32% of that 100% is defined as "Other" which is further broken down in the section that follows immediately after.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear.

The total is still 100% because 32% of that 100% is defined as "Other" which is further broken down in the section that follows immediately after.

Probably an Ex RBS/BOS banker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear.

oops!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear.

Poll is pretty bogus when you have only 38 SNP/Plaid Cymru voters sampled against 1100 Con/Lab members
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poll is pretty bogus when you have only 38 SNP/Plaid Cymru voters sampled against 1100 Con/Lab members

As I said earlier, it's probably best not to mention the low sample.

But it's crumbs off the table so I'll still take it.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said earlier, it's probably best not to mention the low sample.

Actually it is.

Get a sample size of 1000 for Scotland and then you have a realistic degree of accuracy (3%)

Given the sample error at 100 sample is 10% and the difference between Cons and SNP is 1% then you can see that the result, as far as Scotland is concerned, is bogus.

What was that you were saying about crumbs?

:cool:
  • Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    Actually it is.

Get a sample size of 1000 for Scotland and then you have a realistic degree of accuracy (3%)

Given the sample error at 100 sample is 10% and the difference between Cons and SNP is 1% then you can see that the result, as far as Scotland is concerned, is bogus.

What was that you were saying about crumbs?

:cool:

Aggregated polls

---- The Scottish sample size of each individual poll is small (around 150 voters), which is not usable in isolation. However, if we add up all the Scottish components over a full month, the total sample size is around 1,500 voters which is a usable total. Because the YouGov methodology is constant, the individual Scottish samples should be consistent and able to be aggregated.

a small bias towards the Conservatives at the expense of the other three big Scottish parties fairly equally. -

For June the figures were,,

CON 18% LAB 40% LIB 4% UKIP 4% SNP 27%

SNP up 4% from May, others down 1% each.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    You brought it up.
    For what it is worth I do not think it was you

Do you know what AS?

I know you didn't particularly like what I was asking (and really didn't fancy answering!) but with that reply my friend I have a lot of respect for you.

Thank you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member

cheesy_pasty has it right here and this, I think, is the problem.

The SNP position is so wrapped in the flag that it actually begins to constrict itself.

Surely even Nationalists are made uneasy by claims by a young man on Question Time that Scots can't walk down the street in England without being physically attacked, which he stated as if it happened every day of the week which is just ridiculous?

Why does this young man believe this? Well, he was either an SNP plant (not unknown on QT for all parties) or he genuinely thought this. Both views are profoundly disturbing, as was the reaction from the SNP member of the panel who refused to disagree.

Whilst I can understand that the SNP is so virulently keen to get every vote as as they are passionate for their cause, Nationalism and anti-whoever is a fine line.

And what happens post-independence? If you follow the same train of thought does it not follow that whatever bad happens to Scotland is someone else s fault? It's no good saying that 'at least Scotland decided' and then saying 'ah, but thanks to the UK (in reality England) or Europe (probably thanks to those nasty English, you know what they're like) not doing what we said that's why we're all skint.

It's not our fault kids, it's them. They're the reason you can't get hospital treatment, your taxes have gone through the roof, your kids school roof is shot and has no means of repair, inflation is rampant and you can't buy anything and the IMF are on their way...
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely even Nationalists are made uneasy by claims by a young man on Question Time that Scots can't walk down the street in England without being physically attacked, which he stated as if it happened every day of the week which is just ridiculous?.

LOL, I have a southside of Edinburgh accent, and last time I was in London almost everyone I talked to thought I was Irish.

How would they know what a Scot looks like? ;)
  • Options
    NefratiNefrati Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They sealed my opinion of them the moment they went after the children the way the did. Every ugly regime has done this. Facists, communists, empower children against their parents even and you will create some zealots.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    LOL, I have a southside of Edinburgh accent, and last time I was in London almost everyone I talked to thought I was Irish.

How would they know what a Scot looks like? ;)

Its obvious.

Big sporrans....
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Its obvious.

Big sporrans....

Straggly ginger hair, tammy, white skin and freckles
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    What happens after independence?

We will have one government which the people of Scotland have elected, not the people of England as at present. We will not have far to travel to hold that government to account and all the political parties know that they cannot expect blind loyalty from Scottish voters - they have to earn it!

There is not a strength of anti-EU ill feeling in Scotland. People can see many, many improvements which are down to co-operation of the EU, the two governments, local government and private and voluntary sectors working together.

Co-operation and consensus to deal with problems and achieve ambitions are backed by the populace. That's why the SNP got a majority. During its minority government, it proved that consensus and non-adversarial politics worked.

The SNP COULD drive through any piece of legislation in this government but they don't. Instead they still try to argue their case and build alliances. That's why the polls show them higher now than at the 2011 election.

The Tories down south often can't even carry their coalition partner with them, other than the ministerial cohort.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straggly ginger hair, tammy, white skin and freckles

Yep, that's them to a tee.

Except according to saint Billy of the Connolly, they wear wellies too......

So all we have to do to identify the irascible Scottish horde is to look for furtive looking types who are ginger haired, with white freckled skin, wearing wellies and a kilt with a big sporran...

Jobs a good un....:D
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Its obvious.

Big sporrans....
    up here sporrans & kilts worn in public tend to (beyond weddings & pipe bands) mostly be worn by American (& other) visitors ... so not usually a sign of wearer being Scottish
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nefrati wrote: »
    They sealed my opinion of them the moment they went after the children the way the did. Every ugly regime has done this. Facists, communists, empower children against their parents even and you will create some zealots.

How have the SNP done this exactly? More nonsense from the smear campaigners. The shouts coming from the unionist camp are becoming shriller and shriller as well as more ridiculous.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How have the SNP done this exactly? More nonsense from the smear campaigners. The shouts coming from the unionist camp are becoming shriller and shriller as well as more ridiculous.
    I think somebody is under the wrong impression that SNP is of same kind of fascist leaning political position as BNP ;) ... would explain the smear?