Options

Has anyone ever been to anywhere dangerous? eg a warzone

Comments

• Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    As long as you obey the rules, I would imagine North Korea to be very safe.

Yeah, but f**king boring. Also, you can't take any cameras, phones or electrical devices into the country. I watched a documentary on N.Korea and this actually happens.
  • Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    As long as you obey the rules, I would imagine North Korea to be very safe.

Yeah, but f**king boring. Also, you can't take any cameras, phones or electrical devices into the country. I watched a documentary on N.Korea and this actually happens.
  • Options
    majorgartmajorgart Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I went through South London once but luckily the gang members were all at school that day.
    Luton is not much better
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Penge, SE20.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've been to Blackpool.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »

I think the problem with North Korea is that you will be shepherded around by a party official who will only take you to the things they want you to see, and consequently will get to see very little of the real place.

I have been to the Democratic Republic of Congo as my company were doing some work out there. We had a shed load of security protection and did not leave a secure locked down area, so saw absolutely nothing of the country, so was unable to verify whether a certain drink is consumed there. Our company has since decided to pull out completely now.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I went to Derry northern Ireland in 1974. It was at the height of the troubles and as an English protestant i stayed on the Catholic creggan estate.

It was a shock seeing armed British soldiers walking the streets although I never felt uncomfortable I was at some risk. However, my worst moments were being (mildly) interrogated by the British army as to why I was there at all. This took place while our car was thoroughly searched when we came back from an outing to the republic.

Quite an experience for a 17 year old:)
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    And if so how did you find it?

I am thinking warzones, a country during a coup etc. I can't think of anywhere I have been which could be classified as dangerous, barring a couple of notorious council estates at night time

I was took to America when I was 5.
    That was in the 60's.
    little did I realise how dangerous it was.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother, on her own as a teenager, travelled around Ireland - North and the Republic, in the late-70s. She said the experience was wonderful and folk were friendly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been told anyone who looks remotely wealthy should leave all valuables and money at home as they will be robbed at Carnival if they go into the packed streets!
    I guess there's an element of truth in that, given how most people dress for carnival. I've had no problems for 12 years running.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Malaya - as it was called in 1951. A forgotten war lasting several years (known as 'The Emergency').
    We were mostly 18-19 yrs old National Service troops fighting Chinese communists who were armed with weapons we the British had supplied them with to fight the Japanese when Malaya and Singapore fell.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Croatia in 1992 - I had no idea the front line was as close at it was - i.e. about 20 miles from the capital. I was visiting a friend there and we went to a castle in the countryside, and you could hear gunfire in the distance. Rather closer than I wanted to be !
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    No, the nearest i have come is touristy places while its all kicking off.

went to Cairo while there was protests
    went to Jerusalem and heard machine gun fire and lots of police running, but saw nothing.
    Was on the london tube when it all kicked off on 2005 (my first trip to london)

But, i lived in rough housing estate on the south side of Glasgow all through the 70s and 80s, lots of stabbings, decapitations and sectarian gangs around my street while growing up.

Coming from that environment, most other areas were childsplay.:D
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Driven through South Central. Does that count? :)

(I'd probably nominate that also for the real-life-like-in-a-movie thread)
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    ingoldmells.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle City Centre after they failed to win the league or FA cup in the 90s or after they lose at home to Sunderland :D
  • Options
    PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Belfast all my life , had a few very lucky escapes, one in particular, because of a last minute change ....believe in fate ever since
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to a city break in a few weeks to Belfast. Should I take my bullet proof jacket?
  • Options
    DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been told anyone who looks remotely wealthy should leave all valuables and money at home as they will be robbed at Carnival if they go into the packed streets!

Small amounts of cash in various pockets ( a quick mug can be sorted by emptying a few Reals out of a pocket) and a heftier amount of cash in underwear or money belt for potential police bribe.

Sorted!
  • Options
    asmz35asmz35 Posts: 22,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyprus 1974 - I was only 7 (my father was in the army), during the coup and Turkish invasion. I have pictures somewhere of me pointing at the bullet holes in the side of our house.

I've still got a library book from the British Forces school that I was unable to return due to my mother and me being evacuated back to Britain.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London when the Bishopsgate bomb went off in 1993
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyond the bullet holes and craters, it's a really beautiful country.

Beirut has the reputation of being a warzone (and phrases like "it's like Beirut in here" etc still live on), but it's a fantastic city- just one with a particularly tragic history!

I visited Beirut in 2010 and it really is a melting pot of checkpoints, tension, plastic surgery and parties. :D I was also in Damascus then, a few months before all the trouble kicked off. The checkpoints and military in Beirut annoyed me on the first day, until the evening, when I saw a young soldier in full uniform with his rifle on the street, standing under a street light on a quiet street in the dusky evening light, laughing and flirting with his young girlfriend. That scene really humanised it for me, and I realised everyone was just trying to get on with their lives. I stopped noticing the military presence after that.

I also lived in the Arabian Gulf during the Gulf War. My American maths teacher's husband was one of Saddam's first prisoners of war! He was later released unhurt. I remember transiting in Kuwait City shortly after and seeing all the fires burning after the Iraqis had torched the oil wells before fleeing.

More locally, I worked about two buildings away from where the July 7th bus bomb went off.
  • Options
    PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    I'm going to a city break in a few weeks to Belfast. Should I take my bullet proof jacket?

Get a good guide if you can afford it, if not stick to well worn tourist areas and pubs like THe John Hewitt,Duke of York,Crown Bar,

But its not to bad and the PSNI are quite good at keeping riots etc contained and people well away.

Enjoy my City and you will enjoy how friendly we all are!!
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Does GB 1940 qualify ?
    Many of our generation were on the receiving end of gifts from the Luftwaffe night after night, Witnessed
    Messerschmitts fyling at roof top level shooting up Croydon Airport, Had one of the first V1 flying bombs motororing over our roof at about 400 ft. We collected up spent cartridges after air raids, still warm.
    For many school kids those were happy days.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I worked for a few years in Borehamwood.