Capital FM is coming to Wales

2»

Comments

• djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djgeeza wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the tagline?
    "North Wales and The North West's #1 Hit Music Station" is a bit of a mouthful...

The answer - "The UK's..."
    Looks like it was a bit of a mouthful after all, so they're just rolling with UK branding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Will be interesting to see how they fill their quota of Welsh language music in the playlist to match the "sound" of Capital. As I've said before in another thread, in general terms, the majority of Welsh artists music would tend to suit the playlists of either Heart and Smooth, or XFM, Absolute etc. Don't get me wrong, there are some artists out there that whose music would suit Capital but not as many as the other genres, therefore the choice of artist could be quite limited. As I've said before, maybe a flip to a Smooth format might have been better for that area of North Wales as at least that format would've made artists from previous decades available to the playlist.

As I say, it will be interesting to see how Capital works in that area of North Wales and how it goes down with the local listeners, especially when you consider how many listeners Capital lost in South Wales when it replaced Red Dragon.

Some of the Welsh lang songs sticking out like sore thumbs on the playlist as they sound quite dated compared to whats being played in English, also one or two don't seem to fit what I would describe as the 'Capital sound'.

This is not a dig at the staff or the station, just a mere observation. All in all, the station is sounding "fresh and new" just I think one or two of the Welsh tracks sound a bit out of place.
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how global would broadcast Capital's Summertime and Jingle Bell Ball shows on the former Champion 103 output?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The welsh tracks could be dumped to 4am to keep ofcom happy.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    Here's some official info about the Storeton transmitter which may clear up some of the issues about the 97.1 coverage from that site.

The maximum signal is beamed in a Southwest direction from Storeton towards the River Dee (officially, it serves Deeside not Wirral). The signal is nulled by up to 22dB towards the North (Liverpool, Birkenhead) and North-Northeast, reducing the signal strength in much of Merseyside. This explains why the signal is great in Flintshire but weak much closer to the TX in Birkenhead.

Source: Ofcom Tech Parameters.

When you say nulled can you explain a bit more what that entails as I work in telecoms rather than broadcasting so I'm not sure. Sort of like an attenuator? Is that an intentional thing then?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    When you say nulled can you explain a bit more what that entails as I work in telecoms rather than broadcasting so I'm not sure. Sort of like an attenuator? Is that an intentional thing then?

Yes, an attenuator is a fair comparison. The signal is deliberately reduced in certain directions to avoid interference with other stations, or prevent it travelling too far out of the target area. I couldn't begin to explain all the science behind it, but http://www.antenna-theory.com/basics/radPatDefs.php has more details if you're interested..