Options

Smooth National Radio Thread

Comments

• Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    I dont like gold it's more repetitive than smooth to be honest. Nice to hear Paul Hollins on drive so much better than Im Anthony Davis. Just a shame playlist is still crap.

Why do you still listen? Try Solid Gem or Magic 105.4 both are far better than Smooth.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Amara. Yes I have gone onto magic more now and the absolute 60s 70s.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic has a pretty similar playlist to Smooth. It always seems to be playing the Beatles whenever I flick onto it
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear Eamonn Kelly for 2 weeks on breakfast whilst Andrew Castle is away at the tennis.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Magic has a pretty similar playlist to Smooth. It always seems to be playing the Beatles whenever I flick onto it

Presume you are talking about Magic AM not the London station? :confused:
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Beatles are the 20th most played artist on Magic London according to CompareMyRadio, and 6th on Magic AM. They've been popping up a lot on Smooth recently too..
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Presume you are talking about Magic AM not the London station? :confused:

I am yes

I am considering making a CD of the best songs played on Smooth
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear Eamonn Kelly for 2 weeks on breakfast whilst Andrew Castle is away at the tennis.

Yes.Smooth are so accommodating to those with tv careers to nurture.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Pity it's only for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kelly and Andrews my least favourite presenters, I switched off Gold years ago but have just returned (all be it occasionally) very few presenters brilliant
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wondered if A Castle was still doing his show during Wimbledon. Seems not.

Amara wrote: »
    Pity it's only for 2 weeks.

Two weeks is too long!! :(
    :o I follow tennis year round, and having him on every day for 2 weeks is enough!! No more please. :o The sooner he's back to where I don't hear him (on Smooth) the better. He really is dreadful as a tennis commentator IMO.
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this thread and everyone's comments are far more entertaining than Smooth.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    this thread and everyone's comments are far more entertaining than Smooth.:D

Lets face it it doesn't take s lot to be more entertaining than Snooze.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does paul phear say coming up we have bla bla bla thats after george Michael and then it goes straight into adds that dont make sense as he is introducing a song but for adds to play instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many stations do this and its extremely confusing to the listener. Its like when they advertise the travel during an ad break saying "next". Completely pointless.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Many stations do this and its extremely confusing to the listener. Its like when they advertise the travel during an ad break saying "next". Completely pointless.

I understand the advert that proceeds it must not be during a standard commercial break so must be separated.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats because a company has paid for an advert before the travel. This means it has to be separated either by the jock or by a sweeper saying travel is next. it's exactly the same as newslink that is played directly before the news or straight after.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Some stations air it after a travel buletin.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been looking at the Smooth Facebook page, and there is a tribute to Bobby Womack........and lots of their listeners have commented how "Teardrops" is their fave of his!!>:(>:(:(

Jeez!!

You couldn't make it up!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    Just been looking at the Smooth Facebook page, and there is a tribute to Bobby Womack........and lots of their listeners have commented how "Teardrops" is their fave of his!!>:(>:(:(

Jeez!!

You couldn't make it up!

Heaven help us the day that Tory loving c**t Barlow dies then...
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jeez!!

You couldn't make it up!

Aren't these popular music dyslexics a bit late for their condolences, after all the singer on Teardrops (Cecil Womack) passed away early last year. I think this illustrates the typical Smooth listener perfectly for superficiality.

Love Wars was better anyway.

I can tolerate Andrew Castle doing the tennis this fortnight. I've no idea how anyone could tolerate him playing music on Smooth however. I have to laugh at Wimbledon when he gets spoken to by Sue Barker and his name comes up on screen, and underneath it says "Made 2nd round at Wimbledon 1986 & 1987". Now that's a sporting claim to fame if ever I saw it. :blush:
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jeez!!

You couldn't make it up!
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Aren't these popular music dyslexics a bit late for their condolences, after all the singer on Teardrops (Cecil Womack) passed away early last year. I think this illustrates the typical Smooth listener perfectly for superficiality.

Love Wars was better anyway. <snip>

I think all it illustrates is that people did not know the first names of the members of Womack and Womack. Why is that? Despite their success in music as writer and producers I would guess most people are only aware of them through Teardrops.

I would agree that Love Wars is the better song but Teardrops is the one that has got in the public conscious more – maybe because it has been constantly played since 88 – in some respects it fits more alongside 90s artists such as the likes of the Brand New Heavies rather than a late 80s song. I wouldn’t be surprised if many people would put Womack & Womack in the “one hit wonder” category – which of course that is not a truth.

As for the confusion with Bobby – Womack is an uncommon surname so I can understand why the wrong connection has been made. Personally I would look up information before making a tribute but a lot of people write instantly.
    80sfan wrote: »
    Heaven help us the day that Tory loving c**t Barlow dies then...

Does Smooth play Take That anymore?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bobby Womack wrote music for others as well as himself.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I think this illustrates the typical Smooth listener perfectly

Agree, the sort of numptys that think Ellesmere Port is a bottle of wine and Hollands pies are from the Netherlands!
  • Options
    JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jeez!!

You couldn't make it up!
    Didn't hear it myself, but I've been told that as a tribute to Bobby Womack, Smooth played Womack and Womack's "Baby I'm scared of you" last night!:eek: