BBC Glastonbury 2014 thread

1252627282931»

Comments

• ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I'm sorry but Metallica are not that great musically. In essence they are just another very loud 3 chord bash band. Granted they have a very talented guitarist in Kirk Hammet who's musically wasted in Metallica imo, but he's probably more interested in the dollars than the music. I heard Metallica do Whisky In The Jar. Why? That's an Irish song and Thin Lizzy who were Irish did it a whole lot better All Metallica did was try to copy note for note the Lizzy version. but it was just unconvincing. If it was supposed to be a tribute to TL I would imagine that Whisky iIn The Jar was long before most Metallica fans' time or awareness of the TL version.

To their credit at least with all the money they have they still make the effort to go out and tour unlike many other bands or artists who only reluctantly tour to promote their latest whatever. So full marks to Metallica for that.

But not to diss all metal I think Iron Maiden are a far more interesting and original band

I love Metallica and Maiden but they're two different beasts.

To say Metallica are a "three-chord bash" band does them a tremendous disservice musically. 'Master of Puppets' basically sums them up - constant tempo shifts, intricate picking patterns, a barrage of complex riffs, singable melodies and variations of light/shade are their trademark and what sets them apart from the 'pure' thrash sound of a band like Slayer.

IMO they're a lot easier to take seriously than Maiden. I'm a huge Maiden fan but they have fewer classic riffs and even fewer top quality solos - their strength rests largely with Dickinson as a vocalist and melody maker, as evidenced by the low quality of their output without him.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of acts on iPlayer.
    Just watched London Grammar, what a good performance.