Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »

Cos us DSFErs are sick of her :D

Congrats to everyone doing well and to BRB for being a great host, looks like some really good choices in NF rejects looking forward to getting stuck in and listening
  • Options
    EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I don't do the other thread- Oonagh representing Bulgaria?!

You should see it now. Ariana Grande representing Greece :D:D
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just missing out, one of my favourites this heat....
    [11th] 74 points
    Yohanna & Baggalútur
    BBAnne

12 – Nick1990, Steeleuro_Wolf, Jem Casper
    10 -
    8 - Yugimuto1
    7 – Drew Peacock, brb
    6 – Only_You
    5 – Lisa.B
    4 –
    3 - gottago
    2 –
    1 – kvn, portugal

After the drubbing I got in the reviews and comments, I'm beyond chuffed to have got 11th :D Special thanks to Nick Wolfie and Jem for the big points

Congrats to Mallary and thanks so much brb for hosting!

Liking the look of the playlist, I'm more than happy that 2014 is getting another bite of the cherry as there were so many good songs this year that one contest just isn't enough
  • Options
    kvnkvn Posts: 8,782
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Nice to see Íris Hólm on the new list, that was one of my back-ups. :)

I'd totally forgotten that song existed. Loved it
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Had a listen to that Avalon song by Oonagh... she does have a slight tendency to make all of her songs sound the same.

Don't be surprised if she's in the German pre-selection next year.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    After the drubbing I got in the reviews and comments, I'm beyond chuffed to have got 11th :D Special thanks to Nick Wolfie and Jem for the big points

Congrats to Mallary and thanks so much brb for hosting!

Liking the look of the playlist, I'm more than happy that 2014 is getting another bite of the cherry as there were so many good songs this year that one contest just isn't enough

I can only apologise for my treatment of it, but Yohanna without an unfeesibly flattering close-up and killer key-change just isn't Yohanna!
  • Options
    EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a listen to that Avalon song by Oonagh... she does have a slight tendency to make all of her songs sound the same.

Don't be surprised if she's in the German pre-selection next year.

Oh I quite like Avalon now. I don't know, to me it's very different to Gaa and Orome.

If she is in Eurovision next year I guarantee Germany will win.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I don't do the other thread- Oonagh representing Bulgaria?!

Her dad is Bulgarian or something.

I'd like to see Oonagh represent Germany. I could see her winning...
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,277
    Forum Member
    EuanDesu wrote: »
    You should see it now. Ariana Grande representing Greece :D:D

Ireland's 'Granny Rule' alive and well then. :p
    BBAnne wrote: »

I had no idea Yohanna had it in her, the lyrics were amazing and it was kinda catchy in its own way. :D
  • Options
    ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [33rd] 15 points
    Agseisa – Cintamu Menjuah
    ESCRoss

12 -
    10 - thms
    8 -
    7 -
    6 -
    5 –
    4 – only_you
    3 -
    2 –
    1 – Cuishla

Not too surprised with the result, after the reviews. Thanks to thms, only_you, and Cuishla, for the votes.

Congrats to Mallary! Well deserved winner :)
  • Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    I didn't vote for any of the top 3 but 4th place was my 12 pointer so I'm not completely out of touch! Congratulations on the win, Mallary and thank you brb for hosting.

One eye on the new playlist and the other on the tv now...hoping Germany win.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In last place... :(

[35th] 6 points
    Debbie Gibson – Foolish Beat
    Jaccobabe

12 -
    10 -
    8 -
    7 -
    6 -
    5 –
    4 – SubZer0
    3 -
    2 – Pandora.
    1 -
    You bastards, Even BBG Didnt like it.

Not too surprised atferd horrible reviews. I still like it, but Maybe stop with these chessy entries as They never did well...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [23rd] 43 points
    Kent – La Belle Epoque
    Spindiddly

12 - Jaccobabe
    10 - gottago
    8 – Weedydiamond
    7 -
    6 -
    5 –
    4 – Nightfox Dancer, QuartzMan,
    3 -
    2 – Chickens hit, Drew Peacock
    1 – Stanld03

Wow!!! I LOVED this!!! Shockingly good!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o
    This entry was in 1st place up until the last few days where it lost momentum. My favourite leading lady...
    [6th] 83 points
    Linda Eder – Vienna
    Cuishla

12 – Phil363, ESCRoss, brb
    10 – Steeleuro_Wolf
    8 – Jaccobabe, Drew Peacock
    7 – Nick1990
    6 – Sbrum1984
    5 – big bro geek
    4 –
    3 -
    2 – kvn
    1 – TerryP

This really grew on me. Didnt like it too much at first but it got much better after repeated listens!
  • Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    Gréta Mjöll Samúelsdóttir - Eftir eitt lag (Iceland 2014) - Icelandic Daryl Hannah never fails to make me smile as the song shifts tone around the thirty second mark. The opening line sounds like she's singing about something "in the arse".

Michelle - Im Auge des Orkans (Germany 1997) - Bit of a comedy voice there and not enough material for a second glove but not entirely unpleasant and I enjoyed the emphatic piano.

Jasmin Michaela - Kertakäyttösydän (Finland 2014) - That's some hair that's worth a point or two. Not sure the T&A (tassels & ass) dancers were necessary though.

Rachel & Waylon - Leven als een beest (Netherlands 2005) - Is this the same Waylon as in 2014, 2nd place, mean and moody man friend of Dutch-Nicole-Kidman-a-like?! He's so uncool and just a little bit sleazy here! But very hot and I love his hair. What's that? There was a woman too...and a song?

Laura O'Neill - You Don't Remember Me (Ireland 2014) - I wanted this to win that oh-so-infamous Irish final.

Nadia Malm - Before You Forget Me (Denmark 2014) - Nice little partner to Laura's song. I didn't watch the Danish final but this was one of the Danish ditties that I liked. I prefer the song when it's more piano based but then we'd be denied a look at Nadia's quite awesome figure and dress in full.

Molly Sandén - Så vill Stjärnorna (Sweden 2009) - She's got a touch of the Sarah Newlins about her. Very nice but I'd have liked a bit more oomph.

Rosanna Lints - Follow Me (Estonia 2013) - For my birthday this year, I'd like my name sung Eesti Laul style. I think I remember liking this but she's a bit whiny, isn't she? I'd like her outfit more without the bingo wingy cloak and if it wasn't the colour of my Nan's tights. Also, I'm not usually opposed to gratuitous nipples but the dancers weren't doing it for me.

Susanne Alfvengren - Du är älskad där du går (Sweden 2009) - Sister Ingalls scrubs up well. I thought the end of her scarf was a handbag at first. This is epic in a subtle way.

Linus Svenning - Bröder (Sweden 2014) - I'm all for a metal face but I hate that bull piercing. He's just asking for a Spaniard to stick it in him. Them's the kind of arms I like. As for the song, it seems "Bröder" is every other word.

Mirela - La Reina De La Noche (Spain 2007) - "I'm the Queen of the Night" she insisted on telling her fellow ladies of the night at every opportunity. I can't take her seriously with the faces she's pulling. My favourite part was when her hair made it look like she had a unibrow.

State of Drama - All We Are (Sweden 2014) - State of Them. If nobody can ever hope to love you as much as you love yourself are you the most fulfilled person in the world or the loneliest? Asking on behalf of the lead singer.

Jessica Ferley - Espoir (France 2000) - You can (nearly) always rely on the French to bring a bit of class to a lull in the proceedings.

Elena Sinyavskaya - Via Lattea (Belarus 2014) - Anything would have been preferable to what Belarus sent this year (even a return of the Belarubot). This gets more likeable the longer the song goes on even though I could only hear it in one earphone and despite wearing aforementioned earphones there was a point where all the ears of all the neighbourhood dogs pricked up! Belarus' Malena Ernman moment.

Anna Oxa - Storie (Italy 1997) - What a face she had. Sounds like Cher when she starts belting it out.

Daniel Testa - One Last Ride (Malta 2014) - I can't believe in these lyrics when the singer looks like he belongs more in after school chess club than on the stage. Nice to see Nadia Almada's still getting work.

Axel Algmark - Kyss Mig (Sweden 2012) - No, I just can't forgive that hat. Or the trousers showing us what religion he is.

Shirley Clamp - Burning Alive (Sweden 2014) - So, she looks like she's about to cry and not because of the emotion of the song, the lighting on her face is terrible and the dress is awful and unflattering but it's Queen Shirley channeling Miss Havisham. Love it. (I like how she braces for the big finish by opening her legs wider. We've all been there.)

Íris Hólm - Leyndarmál (Iceland 2012) - Now that's a fringe I can get behind. I like how not all the pieces of the song sound like they belong to the same one but it still manages to work.

Jacques Houdek - Na krilima ljubavi (Croatia 2003) - Isn't this Croatia's number one homophobe? Which usually translates as "put it in my arse, NOW!" Do not like.

Outtrigger - Echo (Sweden 2014) - This is even better than I remember it. Someone's brave, entering it here though!

New Level Empire - The Last One (Hungary 2014) - Although I've liked every entry from Hungary recently, A Dal is one NF I never really get into. The singer has a David Beckham meets Russell Grant face - disconcerting but not completely unappealing! It's a shame the rest of the song wasn't as exciting as he got shouting at the audience.

Nathalie - Don't Say Goodbye (Germany 2002) - She's not going to feel the benefit of that coat when she goes outside. As well as a coat, she's got her Shakira bleats on. "Don't say goodbye, you're my star, wherever you are"...dead by the time you see it, love.

Sarit Hadad - Mr DJ Superman (Israel 2002) - Hey Sarit, you know who could use Superman's help right now? The Gazans. Light a candle for them, not a missile. I kid, but really Israel, dial it down a notch.

Daria - Starlight (Belarus 2014) - A bit of what I said about Elena S and bit of what I said about Nathalie.

Joanna - Ma Liberté (France 2014) - As much as it could be beefier, this should have walked the French final. I love hair that doubles up as a lethal weapon.

Cobzality feat. Matilda Pascal Cojocăriṭa - Steaua din vis (Romania 2014) - Join us for Romania's Take Your Nana To Work Day 2014.

Ruth Jacott - Loop met me mee (Netherlands 1993) - Watch how Ruth keeps her enviable figure as she walks the distance of each song she sings. And believe me, it feels longer for her than it does for you!

Yarden Tsur - Replace You (Israel 2013) - She's very cute and it's all very French cafe (in the Jewish Quarter).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Said no one sent Running out of Time (Hungary 2014). Must save it for next year! Might torture you all with Katie Price - Not Just Anybody next year also, though :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gréta Mjöll Samúelsdóttir (Iceland 2014) - Gréta and her ukulele was robbed, but then knowing what we know now maybe it wouldn't have done that well?

Michelle (Germany 1997) - If she'd have had blonde hair back then, she'd have been the spit of Grace Kelly. Her actual ESC song is marginally better and so was the song Germany chose in '97, although that's not saying a lot.

Jasmin Michaela (Finland 2014) - Yeah so what if Finland did well, I didn't like it (sorry rosetta) and Jasmin and Hukka Ja Mama were far superior. :kitty: Love the homage to Single Ladies.

Rachel & Waylon (Netherlands 2005) - A very wrong turn from the country stuff... at least Waylon and Ilse will always have 2014. How could you leave her Waylon. :(

Laura O'Neill (Ireland 2014) - As much as I loved Heartbeat, I did like this and I reckon Ireland would've faired better with Laura. Hazel's plan for Heartbeat was basically throw enough shit and see what sticks, whereas I imagine this would've gone the simple but effective route. (I sense Eurostar's ears burning already). Anyway it was all about Linda really wasn't it? :p

Nadia Malm (Denmark 2014) - So many options, but no they had to pick that Bruno Denmars crap! Nadia was robbed.

Molly Sanden (Sweden 2009) - Oh Sweden, I wish you would go back to something native just for a change of pace. Although Why Am I Crying is slightly better, so I guess that contradicts that idea?

Rosanna Lints (Estonia 2013) - Always a bonus to have semi-naked dancers. Clearly Birgit was the right choice given what was on offer, but Follow Me was great in my book.

Susanne Afvengren (Sweden 2009) - Once you get past the menacing look, as though the poor old dear has got lost on her way to the loo, it's another nice enough Swede ballad that would've outdone La Voix. (Dead at Brummy's Sister Ingalls reference! :D)

Linus Svenning (Sweden 2014) - Not this tosh. I ended up youtubing JEM's performance of Love Trigger to perk me up about halfway through.

Mirela (Spain 2007) - Side note, when I was looking up songs I thought her 2009 one would be a good choice, then I saw it'd already been used. (The mental cursing at songs already used in the annals of time happened A LOT during the research process!) Anyway back to 2007 and you don't need me to tell you that Mirela and Nazaret were robbed.

State of Drama (Sweden 2014) - If you're going to raid the last dregs of Melfest 2014 then at least pick something good like EKO, Janet Leon, JEM, Linda Bengtzing or Mahan Moin.

Jessica Ferley (France 2000) - The French sure do love a maudlin whiny ballad. In fairness it's vastly superior to the crap they did send.

Elena Sinyavskaya (Belarus 2014) - Shades of La Voix. Virtually anything would've been better than Cheesecake, but Elena and Daria were especially robbed.

Anna Oxa (Italy 1997) - No thanks Italian Cher, Jalisse was definitely the right choice. Marginally better than her 1989 entry.

Daniel Testa (Malta 2014) - Where's the ROCS travel adverts when you need 'em? No thanks McLovin. I wanted a bit of Addictive, Lovetricity or Hypnotica instead.

Axel Algmark (Sweden 2012) - Are you seriously trying to suggest this is anywhere near Queen Loreen's standard. Horrific. He appears to be having one of those annoying Paulo Nutini on stage exorcisms.

Shirley Clamp (Sweden 2014) - Here's Dame Shirley to save us from Axel. Should've been in the Melfest rejects round. She'll be hoping it's 7th time lucky like Sanna if she rocks up next time...

Íris Hólm (Iceland 2012) - One of my backup choices, hope it does well. Reminds me of something I can't place. Granted it was a lot more understated than Never Forget, but it was still nice enough.

Jacques Houdek (Croatia 2003) - Who told this bloke he could sing and then let the poor bastard keep coming back with worse and worse attempts? It's no wonder that Severina aside, Croatia was one of my least favourite Eurovision countries.

Outtrigger (Sweden 2014) - See State of Drama. These guys peaked with that cover of Robin's You.

New Level Empire (Hungary 2014) - I've already said my piece a number of times about Hungary slaughtering all the songs I liked. This was alright for saying it's not normally my thing, although I wasn't left much choice in the final itself other than Depresszió.

Natalie (Germany 2002) - Claire from Steps, can't tell you whether it's the fat or thin version with that coat on. Don't say goodbye, well they clearly did. Leave the Shakira vibrato to Shakira please.

Sarit Hadad (Israel 2002) - Plus points for the tit jiggling. Interesting outfit the bodypopper is wearing... Nothing against Light A Candle, but this was way better.

Daria (Belarus 2014) - As I said further up, Daria was robbed! This is when I like ballads, when they have some anthemic oomph to draw me in. Get rid of the creepy kids in the background images though.

Joanna (France 2014) - See Jessica Ferley, although in this case I did actually like Moustache... :blush:

Cobzality featuring Matilda Pascal Cojocarita (Romania 2014) - It's hard to believe that 2 of these were involved in Let Me Try. She didn't need her mum on stage wailing away, I'd weirdly like it without that as it is quite quirky and catchy. I hope Georgia's The Shin are taking notes! I was going to moan, saying where is Vaida - One More Time, but it was growing on me by the end.

Ruth Jacott (Netherland 1993) - Nah, Vrede was better.

Yarden Tsur (Israel 2013) - Nice bit of Jessie J - Domino at the start to perk me up at this late hour. Not even an accordion can save this. Moran had nothing to fear... well except the harsh reality of Israel's recent inability to qualify. This is about as far away from the badass fierceness of Mei as you can get.

A bit of an ordeal, might just be able to cobble together 10 songs to vote for. :D
  • Options
    ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually have no idea who or what to enter for the next contest :confused:

Better get my thinking cap on....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyprus have confirmed for 2015
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ESC Ross wrote: »
    I actually have no idea who or what to enter for the next contest :confused:

Better get my thinking cap on....

I'm struggling big time with that. Luckily my ipod has come to the rescue and thrown up something I didn't know I had. So it's pray it gets accepted or not used by someone else, because it's pretty much that option or bust. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redrose89 wrote: »
    Cyprus have confirmed for 2015

:) love that Cyprus are back
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I've never heard of this show before, but the theme song has certainly had an impact! :)

22nd 42 points
    Beautiful People theme [Beautiful People]
    Mikay

12:
    10: 21stCenturyBoy
    8:
    7: NightFox_Dancer
    6: phill363, NancyS
    5:
    4: Jaccobabe, TerryP
    3:
    2: portugal
    1: kvn, stanld03, thms

It's been a whole week since I posted in here, so just getting around now to say thanks for the votes! I'll take 22nd! :D

I alluded to a Eurovision connection, and someone spotted it! There is an episode in the second series (set in 1998) where Simon and Kylie's new music teacher is a Eurovision nut, and to cut a long story short he takes them to the dress rehearsal of the Birmingham contest, where they escape afterwards so they can sneak into the final. In the end, they get stuck in a disabled loo where Dana International goes to change into her Jean-Paul Gaultier and Simon ends up stealing one of the feathers.

Great show, one of my faves which I've been rewatching again recently. I really recommend it to everyone in this thread if you haven't seen it. It's about a young 13 year old boy who eventually turns out to be window dresser for Barneys in New York growing up in 90s Britain. It is camp, musical and hilarious!

Before I got up to the episode though I wanted to watch Eurovision 98.. and whilst the top 5 were really great (except from Dana's dodgy vocals) I was unimpressed by most of the other songs.. although I think Ou Aller should have deserved more than 3 points!! I liked Ulrika's hosting, her accent and style was great. Terry on the other hand just annoys me - "This is the closest final I have ever seen in the history of Eurovision" .... what about 1991? "This is probably the best interval act in the history of the contest!" .... erm....

sorry for the long post. :blush:
  • Options
    weedydiamondweedydiamond Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just missing out of the top 30...
    [31st] 16 points (5 voters)
    Marillion – Kayleigh
    Weedydiamond

12 -
    10 -
    8 -
    7 -
    6 – Drew Peacock
    5 –
    4 – Jaccobabe
    3 – Penguinperson
    2 – only_you
    1 – NancyS

Thanks for the votes. And I can always rely on Drew to throw me a few points...

[12th] 70 points
    Leningrad – Fish
    QuartzMan

12 – Drew Peacock, Weedydiamond,
    10 -
    8 – Only_You
    7 - BBAnne, gottago, Sbrum1984
    6 -
    5 – portugal
    4 – Pandora., avb
    3 - 21stCenturyBoy
    2 –
    1 - nunaney

...We have such great taste… :p

Great hosting brb. Any chance of a final score summary for BBAnne’s records?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phills review

Gréta Mjöll Samúelsdóttir - Eftir eitt lag (Iceland 2014) Didn't think too much of the Icelandic NF this year but this OK if a little boring.
    Michelle - Im Auge des Orkans (Germany 1997) This was nice and crowd went wild for her at the end too
    Jasmin Michaela - Kertakäyttösydän (Finland 2014) <3 Jasmin, she should have at least made the final, this is great anyway.
    Rachel & Waylon - Leven als een beest (Netherlands 2005) Oh Waylon that hair :o the 80's called and they want their song back and that dancing is terrible
    Laura O'Neill - You Don't Remember Me (Ireland 2014) The Gobsheite! Song, in retrospect this probably would have been Ireland's best option.
    Nadia Malm - Before You Forget Me (Denmark 2014) This one must have passed me by during NF season, its quite good
    Molly Sanden - Så vill Stjärnorna (Sweden 2009) Not as good as her 2012 song really but she has a great voice.
    Rosanna Lints - Follow Me (Estonia 2013) Even the crowd look bored at this one.
    Susanne Afvengren - Du är älskad där du går (Sweden 2009) Melfest 2009 is popular this week, this is like a classic Eurovision ballad really like it.
    Linus Svenning – Broder (Sweden 2014) Hate thoes stupid youtube things you have to click away, I also hate those ear stretching things its so ugly, but the song is good so it makes up for it.
    Mirela - La Reina De La Noche (Spain 2007) Those circular camara shots only really work in big arenas not a small studio at TVE HQ was quite good though.
    State of Drama - All We Are (Sweden 2014) This was not as good as Falling but still deserved to be in the final.
    Jessica Ferley – Espoir (France 2000) Really not liking this at all.
    Elena Sinyavskaya - Via Lattea (Belarus 2014) The video only works in one ear, its very annoying, didn't think much of the song anyway.
    Anna Oxa – Prima Esibizione (Italy 1997) Not a fan of this either though.
    Daniel Testa- One Last Ride (Malta 2014) Stupid dancers terrible vocals and I hate the song, It was all about Pamela this year in Malta even though she hated Molly's song when she was a jury member for malta.
    Axel Algmark - Kyss Mig (Sweden 2012) Oh god this is terrible
    Shirley Clamp – Burning Alive (Sweden 2014) Now we are getting somewhere can't believe this didn't even make it to AC it was brilliant maybe it was that risqué dress that stopped people picking up the phone in Sweden hope she never picked it her self.
    Íris Hólm - Leyndarmál (Iceland 2012) Maybe this would sound better in English?
    Jacques Houdek - Na krilima ljubavi (Croatia 2003) This is just terrible on so many levels
    Outtrigger - Raise your Hands (Sweden 2014) Didn't like this.
    New Level Empire - The Last One (Hungary 2014) Have a feeling who's this is, A dal was so good this year and this was no exception.
    Natalie - Don't say goodbye (Germany 2002) Ali Bastian tried out for Germany in 2002 :o this is OK.
    Sarit Hadad - Mr D J Superman (Israel 2002) Hated everything about this what was that man in the shiny suit all about.
    Daria - Starlight (Belarus 2014) We could have had this over Cheesecake :(
    Joanna - Ma Liberté (France 2014) Its a shame you couldn't have entered the remastered version of this which is so much better.
    Cobzality featuring Matilda Pascal Cojocarita - Steaua din vis (Romania 2014) Not a fan of this.
    Ruth Jacott - Loop met me mee (Netherland 1993) I quite liked this.
    Yarden Tsur - Replace You (Israel 2013) The intro music sounded quite like Birthday by Katy Perry. Not a very good end to the playlist :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyprus has now officially confirmed their return:

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=cyprus_to_make_eurovision_comeback_in_2015

Molly also features in the advert for a split second advertising people to submit their entries for next year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dHekAQGVaY
This discussion has been closed.