Options

The Mimic (Terry Mynott) C4

Comments

• Options
    davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it and it's a refreshing take on impressions - better than any recent impressions show such as VIP for example. The pressure on such shows is to get decent material for the impressions whereas here they can be somewhat more random and tell a story at the same time. I enjoyed it and look forward to more.
  • Options
    AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well not really , the only real similarity is that both shows have impressions in them , but The Trip didn't invent impressions .

The Trip didn't invent impressions but it took the concept out of the sketch show format and incorporated it into a series where the protagonists perform impressions. Which is exactly what The Mimic is also doing.
  • Options
    PetiteshooPetiteshoo Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I liked his Al Pacino :)
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I liked his impressions well enough but couldn't see the point of the programme as a whole. Happy to believe that that's due to a quirk my my excellent sense of humour genes though.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    I liked his impressions well enough but couldn't see the point of the programme as a whole. Happy to believe that that's due to a quirk my my excellent sense of humour genes though.

I tuned into the programme specifically to watch the impressions but found that although they were well delivered they didn't see to compliment the storyline. I suggest they film it again without the mimicing...they might end up with a better programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_Burts wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed a City picture on wall and wondered...Have you picked out anywhere in particular you recognized?

I spotted Queen's Square and The Brunel pub in Bedminster (which is close to my office) I wonder where the outdoor gym is?
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this today, really liked it. It had a gentle underplayed feel, and Terry is rather tasty too ;) It's probably the sort of show that will only see one series though unfortunately :( I think Channel 4 give up too easily these days, still mourning Sirens!
  • Options
    heart of glassheart of glass Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else watching? :)
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Yes! Very funny so far, I even recognise a good few voices! (Im not good with film stars do rarely get them)

Favourite line so far "She's got a chocolate labrador....a brown dog"
  • Options
    twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching it now brilliant Al Pacino, but not in the same league as the Rob Brydon Steve Coogan travel series that was fantastic.
  • Options
    Early RiserEarly Riser Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    I like it!

Had a few unexpected chuckles, 'will have to look up Episode 1 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recognise some of the voices but I'm really enjoying it nonetheless. Looking forward to next week's episode. :)
  • Options
    logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like it and it's nice to hear a worse Walken than my own!
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    I still love this. It's so sweet. So unlike most of what is on now. Just a gentle comedy with three dimensional characters and a story. (As I said before most of the impressions go right over my head but that doesn't matter as I get the point of them in context.)

Some of the impressions are off, but that's not a problem.
    The story is developing nicely as are the characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else a bit suspicious of his son jumping on the "we can make money out of this" thing? They've only known each other five minutes. Maybe I just have a suspicious mind. :o
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really liking this. There aren't many programmes that make me laugh but this one does and the story is well written too.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    No I wasn't suspicious of that.

But I do suspect the reason the mum has got them in contact is because she's ill... .
    It was pretty much telegraphed to the audience, especially after the 'growing old' comments.

I guess the comedy factor was him being oblivious to it and going off in his own world again thinking about traveling.

The show has progressed nicely from the first episode.

I thought the funniest bit was the dating profile. Did anyone else pause to read it? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I wasn't suspicious of that.

But I do suspect the reason the mum has got them in contact is because she's ill... .
    Yeah she was just about to tell him she was ill I think

I like his James Mason and Peter O'Toole impressions. I like him actually he is a sweet character.
  • Options
    bearbum72bearbum72 Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i reckon it works, i like the fact that it ain't just another "impressionist" show but a docu-style sitcom. voices r good enough hope story takes over & voices back that up. nice to see some thought gone into it rather than usual noncence.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I thought last nights show was quite funny, now I am understanding the show :o

The newsagent quip about the school children being in 'plain clothes' :D

Then the Titanic floating in his flooded house :eek::D

Looking forward to next weeks :)
  • Options
    LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I thought last nights show was quite funny, now I am understanding the show :o

The newsagent quip about the school children being in 'plain clothes' :D

Then the Titanic floating in his flooded house :eek::D

Looking forward to next weeks :)

Me too, at first I didn't think there was going to be a story and just a load of impressions, but I am quite liking it.
    My husband who hadn't seen the first part wondered why we all laughed when the tiny Titanic sailed past him in the flooded living room.
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am liking this a lot.
    Subtle, dry humour.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm usually good at accents but what was Jesse's accent?
    All I could think of was some sort of Gypsy/Irish :o
  • Options
    LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm usually good at accents but what was Jesse's accent?
    All I could think of was some sort of Gypsy/Irish :o

I thought he was trying to do a South African accent.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic wrote: »
    The Trip didn't invent impressions but it took the concept out of the sketch show format and incorporated it into a series where the protagonists perform impressions. Which is exactly what The Mimic is also doing.

but all you've done is point out a similarity , we could do that with anything . The Mimic is very different to The Trip , different characters , mood , style , dialogue , story etc.