Do SNP Supporters Think They Can Simply Bully Their Way To Independence?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
Forum Member
I've only recently joined the DS community after many years of enjoying the debates on here from afar. Recently I decided that I wanted to learn more from other members so I joined so I could question and learn them.

I entered my first debate last night in the thread 'Scottish Nationalism - Let's Have An Honest Debate.

I questioned a long standing Scottish Nationalist member.

Our conversation has been deleted.

This evening I asked more of the Nats on this forum. I found some to be less than forthcoming but I was entering a discussion with someone else which I would have found illuminating. I genuinely wanted to understand, and debate with them, as to why they felt the way they do. I wanted to learn someone elses opinion.

Just as I hit reply, all posts from the evening except any praising the SNP position to the skies had, again, disappeared.

What is going on here?

I joined DS thinking I was joining an open forum where people could freely debate the issues of the day.

Was I naive? Or is it that it's a free debate unless you upset a member of the SNP?

Or is there a more unpalatable truth. That the SNP are so well versed in bullying everyone into submission in Scotland that they want us all to bow down?

Comments

• gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moderators Please Remove This Topic :D
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, there is to be referendum next year. Haven't you heard?
  • AceMcCloudAceMcCloud Posts: 2,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you prove it was a member of the SNP?

pretty bold claims right there

On the point of the missing posts it is the first time I've seen posts being pulled, and having read them I didn't think any of them were in any way worthy of deletion, I've seen far worse

but the point remains, mods on forums pull posts some times, making a new thread accusing someone without proof is bad enough, but to take a potshot at the SNP for it is hilarious

The last sentence is my favourite though, it was a moderator who pulled the post, they clicked the delete button as they must have felt it necessary, do all the DS Mods work for the SNP?

Of course not
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, if you have an issue with moderation of the forum, do please contact the moderators. Indeed, I am sure that they encourage people to ask them directly if they have issues - they even provide a contact address. Quite why you would ignore this and instead start a thread suggesting that they are somehow connected with the SNP is, frankly, bizarre.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we can always shoot our way instead .....

at least you have a funny name mr boo
    :D
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital Spy is a privately run forum and isn't a state sponsored media provider like the BBC that is obliged to show every angle of an issue.

Don't get me wrong, they don't censor a post just because of it's political views, but they wont hesitate to use the 'delete' button if a thread or post has got out of hand.

As a privately run business, their editorial policy is the bottom line with no appeal or come-back.

On a slightly different note, why are so many unionists from England? Surely it's nothing to do with us? Can the Scottish people not decide their own future without the colonialist rubbish from the South? :confused:

I live 800 miles away from Scotland and I quite frankly couldn't give a toss whether they become an independent country or not. I've never been there and never intend to go. Too many midges, and too much Heroin :D
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Digital Spy is a privately run forum and isn't a state sponsored media provider like the BBC that is obliged to show every angle of an issue.

Don't get me wrong, they don't censor a post just because of it's political views, but they wont hesitate to use the 'delete' button if a thread or post has got out of hand.

As a privately run business, their editorial policy is the bottom line with no appeal or come-back.

On a slightly different note, why are so many unionists from England? Surely it's nothing to do with us? Can the Scottish people not decide their own future without the colonialist rubbish from the South? :confused:

I live 800 miles away from Scotland and I quite frankly couldn't give a toss whether they become an independent country or not. I've never been there and never intend to go. Too many midges, and too much Heroin :D

Loads of midges but I've never seen heroin. Also the best scenery in the UK and it's easy to get to. Visit and you might like it.

I think the posts were removed because they were off topic and degenerating in to personal abuse. Is it a coincidence that the same "new" poster was involved in both selections?
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only recently joined the DS community after many years of enjoying the debates on here from afar. Recently I decided that I wanted to learn more from other members so I joined so I could question and learn them.

I entered my first debate last night in the thread 'Scottish Nationalism - Let's Have An Honest Debate.

I questioned a long standing Scottish Nationalist member.

Our conversation has been deleted.

This evening I asked more of the Nats on this forum. I found some to be less than forthcoming but I was entering a discussion with someone else which I would have found illuminating. I genuinely wanted to understand, and debate with them, as to why they felt the way they do. I wanted to learn someone elses opinion.

Just as I hit reply, all posts from the evening except any praising the SNP position to the skies had, again, disappeared.

What is going on here?

I joined DS thinking I was joining an open forum where people could freely debate the issues of the day.

Was I naive? Or is it that it's a free debate unless you upset a member of the SNP?

Or is there a more unpalatable truth. That the SNP are so well versed in bullying everyone into submission in Scotland that they want us all to bow down?

Which SNP member was this? Remember you can be for Scottish independence without being a member of the SNP.
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freedooooom
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Which SNP member was this? Remember you can be for Scottish independence without being a member of the SNP.

Don't be silly!

You are either a rabid SNP member who worships at the feet of Alex Salmond or a Tory who wants to asset strip Scotland and reduce everyone to poverty. There is no in between.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be silly!

You are either a rabid SNP member who worships at the feet of Alex Salmond or a Tory who wants to asset strip Scotland and reduce everyone to poverty. There is no in between.

Snody may be neither.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sections of the SNP are terrible. You just have to look at the disgusting, inhuman, online abuse Susan Boyle got after she said she wouldn't support independence.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    Snody may be neither.

I would be suspicious of anyone with the initials AS.

I've had posts pulled from that thread as well.

Best to just treat it as the SNP appreciation thread and leave them to their own devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sections of the SNP are terrible. You just have to look at the disgusting, inhuman, online abuse Susan Boyle got after she said she wouldn't support independence.

There are numpties everywhere on the Internet. Some people like to abuse women as it makes them feel good. As has been shown in recent times. I would hazard a guess that they were not SNP members.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be suspicious of anyone with the initials AS.

I've had posts pulled from that thread as well.

Best to just treat it as the SNP appreciation thread and leave them to their own devices.

Maybe you had your posts pulled for being un constructive and off topic?
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are there two Susan Boyles? The only one I'm aware of doesn't exactly strike me as a major political coup in the ringing endorsement stakes.
  • OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member

The other one has bells on.

But assuming you are new to posting I'll assume you've been given the standard behave yourself email regarding your conduct. As such you might wish to consider what it said rather than question the decisions of the mods.

A boring and repetitive insisting that someone tell you the benefits of being in the UK and then claiming that the answer they give you amounts to a lie isn't exactly constructive. If anything it amounts to a form of harassment which is a form of non-violent bullying. As such there's such a thing as a mirror which you might want to look in.

To answer your question, even if Scotland choose mainly the same path as the rUK it'd still be better because when there was a difference of opinion we could agree to differ and get on with it. In much the same way that we'd interact with the EU.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see how the mods removing a few posts amounts to the SNP bullying...and how it will in any way influence the decision on independence?

Strangely that's a matter will be decided at the ballot box...not on this forum...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fail to see how the mods removing a few posts amounts to the SNP bullying...and how it will in any way influence the decision on independence?

Strangely that's a matter will be decided at the ballot box...not on this forum...

They are just trying to smear as their last tactic fell flat on it's face ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any evidence whatsoever that members of the SNP were abusing Susan Boyle on the internet? It's a fairly serious accusation these days. What did you do about it?

I'm assuming you are not just libelling the party, of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Any evidence whatsoever that members of the SNP were abusing Susan Boyle on the internet? It's a fairly serious accusation these days. What did you do about it?

I'm assuming you are not just libelling the party, of course.

Please!!

What part of my post is liable? I would seriously like to see anyone try to take me to court over that post. ;)

As for evidence go and look under many of the articles regarding Susan's comments. You can see just how ugly it all is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please!!

What part of my post is liable? I would seriously like to see anyone try to take me to court over that post. ;)

As for evidence go and look under many of the articles regarding Susan's comments. You can see just how ugly it all is.

You insinuated that members of the SNP (a political party) abused Susan Boyle via the internet. Would you like to provide evidence of that? I have, indeed, seen unpleasant comments about Ms Boyle (some here on DS) but no evidence that sections of the SNP are responsible. Who are they? Come on, you're calling people bulles of the most repellent kind. Surely you have more to back that up than 'people say nasty things about her underneath articles'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You insinuated that members of the SNP (a political party) abused Susan Boyle via the internet. Would you like to provide evidence of that? I have, indeed, seen unpleasant comments about Ms Boyle (some here on DS) but no evidence that sections of the SNP are responsible. Who are they? Come on, you're calling people bulles of the most repellent kind. Surely you have more to back that up than 'people say nasty things about her underneath articles'.

I don't to provide evidence. Its easy to see it was SNP supporters as it was all related to her comments on independence.

Now should I be taken to court over my comments a judge would have to prove these people weren't SNP supporters.

Which is pretty much why nothing can happen to me as we all know what the outcome would be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't to provide evidence. Its easy to see it was SNP supporters as it was all related to her comments on independence.

Now should I be taken to court over my comments a judge would have to prove these people weren't SNP supporters.

Which is pretty much why nothing can happen to me.

Unsurprisingly, not a scrap of evidence. I could just as easily allege that the comments are from you and your Unionist cohorts in an attempt to discredit the SNP (or independence more generally). Should you be taken to court (which I'm not suggesting you ever would be) the SNP would not be required to prove that your statement was false. Instead, proving the truth of the statement would be an affirmative defence available to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unsurprisingly, not a scrap of evidence. I could just as easily allege that the comments are from you and your Unionist cohorts in an attempt to discredit the SNP (or independence more generally). Should you be taken to court (which I'm not suggesting you ever would be) the SNP would not be required to prove that your statement was false. Instead, proving the truth of the statement would be an affirmative defence available to the you.

You know its pretty easy to just Google the Susan Boyle comments and then look under the various articles to see the comments calling her 'retarded', ' a bad example of Modern Scotland' and 'tell her to move to England then' etc.

You keep asking for evidence.

You prove me wrong.. if you can.