The British media ought to be ashamed of itself tonight

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I appreciate that the death Mandela is huge story, but please let's get this in perspective. He was a very elderly man, one who has been poor health for years. His death is very sad but not at all unexpected,

I'm quite appalled therefore that the UK news channels have decided to provide us with wall to wall coverage of this story and totally ignore the storms battering out Coast right now. People are being evacuated from their homes, it's the worst storm for sixty odd years and there is likely to be a great deal of devastation a few weeks before Christmas. Many people will be watching for updates, either for themselves or family.

I've had to switch the news channels off. It's made really angry for some strange reason, by all means report on Mandela's death but god don't ignore what's happening here right now.

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    great.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets face it, the media spent a lot of cash on their obits of Mandela, so they want their money's worth.

Wait till the orgy of over the top crap that the funeral will plaster over our screens.....
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's as if today's floods never happened and aren't continuing to happen as we speak.
  • wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bored of this story already.
    Gonna avoid news for next couple days.
    I hope the floods don't affect to many over next 24 hrs.
    Feel for you
  • stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging from Sky News atm all the floods have dissipated and everything is fine now.
  • Kayyy92Kayyy92 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    The storm won't be that bad.

Is it going to be like the great storm of October which knocked a lawn chair over?

Please.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's as if today's floods never happened and aren't continuing to happen as we speak.

It's really, really bad. A look at the #UKStorm hashtag on Twitter will keep you informed of what's going on, the news channels quite clearly no longer give a shit. I'm sure it would be different if London was getting the brunt of it though.
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The news channels have been planning this news story for years now- all are desperate to showcase their "hard work and preparation".
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I just hope it ends up cancelling a Soap or two tomorrow night.

There's no tragedy on the scale of a Soap Forumite being denied their daily fix of the Walford misery carousel.

Duck and cover when that happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely appalling!
    I only watched BBC News - did ITV news at 10 report on the floods at all?
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's not even anything on the banner at the bottom of the screen on sky news about the floods. It's been over an hour now.

I know it's a dilemma for them but I doubt many people are staying up tonight to watch rolling coverage of Mandela's death, whereas there will be plenty who are hoping for updates on the floods, especially for areas where they have friends and family.
    Forum Member
    great.

just like to point out that the op`s been edited since, before anyone drops a spanner.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wait till the Queen pops her cloggs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise_ wrote: »
    Absolutely appalling!
    I only watched BBC News - did ITV news at 10 report on the floods at all?

Nope, absolutely no mention. I could understand it being relegated to the second or even third story, but not to mention it all is quite disgraceful.

I live Wales. Half of Flintshire evacuated, Rhyl badly flooded but the even the main story on there was some yarn about how Mandela came to Wales once in 1998....
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We won't hear of anything else for the next fortnight. Gird yourself for a stream of rock philosophers (Bono, Geldof, Sting) telling us what a great man he was. Even now, the BBC will be assembling a whitewashed documentary of his life.
    The Daily Mail will be villified for daring to mention that he had a somewhat chequered past.
    It's all rather predictable.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kayyy92 wrote: »

Is it going to be like the great storm of October which knocked a lawn chair over?

Please.

Over 20,000 evacuate in my county alone. Get a clue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Just wait till the Queen pops her cloggs.

Do you know, I was just thinking that. It was bad enough when her mother died, at the tragically young age of 102..... (I really miss the rolleyes smiley)
    Forum Member

Please.

people died.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't the news show the two things - the storms are ongoing and unless you want macabre footage of live accidents and big waves there is little else to say, updates as part of the news for sure but the storms shouldn't demand non stop footage. The people at the eye of the storm will have other things on their mind than the news.

Before 24 hour news channels there would have been no ongoing reports - it's a wonder any of us survived bad weather.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's the worst storm for sixty odd years .

but surely the storm is in the north east? :rolleyes:
  • Kayyy92Kayyy92 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    people died.

Was it as bad as they predicted? No it wasn't.

They always give the worst case scenarios on the News and Weather and it rarely comes to that.

The news is saying the storm has weakened now anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please.

Try telling that to the families of the people who died in that storm
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No disrespect to Nelson Mandela, but I was a bit surprised when his death was the ONLY news story to be reported on the ten o'clock news when there are floods and evacuees in part of Britain. And then when they went to the local news in NI, he was the only story on our news too!

There are other stories to cover.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't the news show the two things - .

Ask the media that question HF, as they don't seem to be able to, as it is wall to wall bleeding Mandela...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it as bad as they predicted? No it wasn't.

They always give the worst case scenarios on the News and Weather and it rarely comes to that.

The news is saying the storm has weakened now anyway.

True the storm has gone but it is the tidal surge that poses a huge threat to life and property.