Options

Anonymity until guilty for accused sex offenders - yes or no?

chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
Forum Member
Had Rolf Harris been granted anonymity then here's how it could have played out in the worst case scenario

*Harris arrested
*Harris later told he would not be prosecuted in secret
*Therefore no other victims come forward that would have seen him charged and eventually convicted
*Harris is free to resume his career
*Harris dies taking his sordid past with him to the grave
*Like Savile, Harris eventually gets posthumously exposed
*Police then forced to confirm that Harris was arrested before being released without charge sparking a huge uproar among his victims.

Which shows that Rolf Harris could have got off Scot free had he never been named. No anomymity is a must.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I can see the argument either way - but it wouldn't arise if it weren't for the "no smoke without fire" brigade. We happily accept that Harris is guilty because he's been duly tried in court, so why can't we accept it if it goes the other way?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    I can see the argument either way - but it wouldn't arise if it weren't for the "no smoke without fire" brigade. We happily accept that Harris is guilty because he's been duly tried in court, so why can't we accept it if it goes the other way?

I'm not saying this is my view, but; Courts do not find anyone innocent, only that there is not enough evidence to find a person guilty without reasonable doubt.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He would have still been prosecuted for the main charge he faced AFAIK, which at least had some kind of merit beyond hazy, unreliable recollections.

I think it's a tricky one. I do see the merit in previous victims feeling encouraged enough to come forward thereby a case being strengthened, but does it happen enough to balance out the complete and utter devastation that any person goes through when they're charged with such a crime, even when they're found not guilty in the end?

I suppose there's also the problem of malicious nutters seeing a chance to get attention by making false claims, but I suspect this more of an issue for celebrity defendants than the common man.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I'm not saying this is my view, but; Courts do not find anyone innocent, only that there is not enough evidence to find a person guilty without reasonable doubt.
    Innocence is supposed to be the default position though, until proven guilty.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    That is more like the Scottish verdict of not proven, as described by Wikipedia:

The result is the modern perception that the "not proven" verdict is an acquittal used when the judge or jury does not have enough evidence to convict but is not sufficiently convinced of the accused person's innocence to bring in a "not guilty" verdict. Essentially, the judge or jury is unconvinced that the suspect is innocent, but has insufficient evidence to the contrary. In popular parlance, this verdict is sometimes jokingly referred to as "not guilty and don't do it again".
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anonymity until guilty? How would that actually work in practice? What steps would you put in place to prevent them being identified and/ or named up to the point they're found guilty? What if they're 'found' innocent; can they be named then, or is the whole beastly affair just swept under the carpet and very few people know it ever happened ? :confused:

To answer your question, no.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    There was a case a while back where a woman made consecutive false rape accusations of different men over several years. Eventually the authorities charged her over it but one thing stood out, that two people came forward to say that on the date and time of one accusation she was with them, but ofcourse her anonymity meant they didnt know it was her accusing the guy in the case, whose name was ofcourse all over the local papers at the time.
    So there is obvoiusly an argument to be had from both sides.
    I think the recent. Oxford Union case shows that if nothing else nobody should be nameduntil they are at least charged.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ain't that the f**king truth.

People are often convicted by the kangaroo court of social media opinion long before the case even gets to court.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ain't that the f**king truth.

People are often convicted by the kangaroo court of social media opinion long before the case even gets to court.
    Or the tie me kangaroo down court in Harris's case.

I don't think this would change were anonymity granted to the accused in sexual assault cases as the newspapers would find some way to break the injunction in the name of protecting or alerting potential victims (and selling newspapers).
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely this. This is one of those rare situations where I can see the argument for either case.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Anonymity until guilty? How would that actually work in practice? What steps would you put in place to prevent them being identified and/ or named up to the point they're found guilty? What if they're 'found' innocent; can they be named then, or is the whole beastly affair just swept under the carpet and very few people know it ever happened ? :confused:

To answer your question, no.

It would probably work in the same way as for victims of sexual assault who currently have anonymity.
    I'm not sure why you find it so confusing ?

In answer to the op's question, yes.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either both sides should retain anonymity until the conclusion of the trial, or neither should.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had Rolf Harris been granted anonymity then here's how it could have played out in the worst case scenario

*Harris arrested
    *Harris later told he would not be prosecuted in secret
    *Therefore no other victims come forward that would have seen him charged and eventually convicted
    *Harris is free to resume his career
    *Harris dies taking his sordid past with him to the grave
    *Like Savile, Harris eventually gets posthumously exposed
    *Police then forced to confirm that Harris was arrested before being released without charge sparking a huge uproar among his victims.

Which shows that Rolf Harris could have got off Scot free had he never been named. No anomymity is a must.
    Harris was found gulity beyond reasonable doubt on all charges. What makes you think he would of been found not guilty if fewer victims had come forward. And how do you know how many victims came forward before he was named. The four victims could have come forward before he was named. More people claiming to be victims have come forward since the trial.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Either both sides should retain anonymity until the conclusion of the trial, or neither should.
    Both sides?
    The Crown does not have anonymity,
    The victims have anonymity.
    It is not in the public interest to know who the victims are.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO there should be a ban unless a court feels there are compelling reasons otherwise, such as other victims coming forward.

best of both worlds
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Innocence is supposed to be the default position though, until proven guilty.

Not any more it seems, or more precisely not when it comes to sexual offences. There is an disturbing subversion of this concept going on right now, I never thought I would see such a sustained mockery of perhaps the most important rule of natural justice going on in the society in which I live.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    It would probably work in the same way as for victims of sexual assault who currently have anonymity.
    I'm not sure why you find it so confusing ?

In answer to the op's question, yes.
    But that only works because, in the very vast majority of sex cases that get to court, the victim is an ordinary member of the public, and the circle of people who know tends to be very small and usually has no desire to name them. Or, if someone did know them and try to publicly name them, who would care? Not even the local press, let alone the national. That person may get done for contempt, and for what? OTOH, if a celeb went to court as a victim of a sex attack, it'd be all over the (social) media in a nano second. My question is: if a celeb was a defendant in a sex offence court case, realistically, how could you prevent them being named? You could 'officially' gag the press, sure, but as we've seen, that has absolutely no effect.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Anonymity until charged seems best, although I'm uncomfortable with treating sexual offenses differently from all other offenses.
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there should be anonymity, if people don't come forward then it is for their own reasons. When the evidence is being collected they may be questioned anyway as part of the investigation or if the person is found guilty of the one charge they could decide to come forward then. If I was groped, I'm not sure i would bother to go through the hassle of reporting it and having to go to court but I would probably judge that on the seriousness of it and if I thought that person was a danger to others, having made that decision I wouldn't want to rake it up many years later.

Much as I like to know about these cases out of interest and curiosity, I don't think the names should be released, as certain people who were found not guilty I have my doubts about and that is unfair to them to have their reputation forever tarnished.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not any more it seems, or more precisely not when it comes to sexual offences. There is an disturbing subversion of this concept going on right now, I never thought I would see such a sustained mockery of perhaps the most important rule of natural justice going on in the society in which I live.
    Because it was only ever a LEGAL concept, not a societal one. Yes, it's important that the law works that way - but no, people didn't ever actually believe that it's automatically the truth. You don't - generally - leave your kids with someone who's been accused several times of possessing weapons and dealing heroin, even if they've never been prosecuted or haven't been found guilty.

And this realistic reaction is particularly valid in sex crime cases because everybody with any interest in the topic knows that the vast, vast majority of sex crimes aren't prosecuted or convicted.

It has been complicated by mass media, though, because that magnifies everything.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    IMO there should be a ban unless a court feels there are compelling reasons otherwise, such as other victims coming forward.

best of both worlds
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Anonymity until charged seems best, although I'm uncomfortable with treating sexual offenses differently from all other offenses.
    I'd combine these, maybe - anonymity until charged, unless the police/ a judge feel there are compelling reasons otherwise.

I think that's how it works anyway, for people who aren't celebs and so their questioning by the police isn't going to end up in the newspapers.
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't think there should be anonymity. Any such move would allow authorities to use it for much more sinister purposes and start arresting and detaining people without anyone knowing about it.

It would be much better if we could all just get a grip and start fully understanding what 'innocent until proven guilty' actually means.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say yes because sex offenses are one of a small number of offenses that often lead to a mob mentality and I don't want to live in a country where people are having there houses torched or being lynched in the street.
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    i'd say yes because of the fact that even if you're found innocent there's still the mob who don't believe what the courts have said and that you're still guility because there's no smoke without fire
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    There should certainly be anonymity until the person is charged IMO.