Has Glyn damaged Wales?

2»

Comments

• PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Edit: ...double post. Not sure how that happened.
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not.

It was damaged long before he was born.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    So what of all the major coastal resorts of North Wales? I would not call their population "sheltered". They are certainly eye to the big picture... with tourism. :p To be honest, I've had more problems with small town/village ENGLAND - threatened in pubs etc. for "not being from round here", than I ever had in Wales. But ultimately, it's more about *some* ignorant individuals than some national defect. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    You're just being patronising now. Hitler used being 'German' to make the german people believe his twisted ideals, and this is how patriotism is often used by leaders of a country, to enforce particular ideals.

Yes I am being patronising, because what you said was ridiculous. I'm no fan of Rhodri Morgan, he advocates Welsh independence very strongly, but i'm sure a comparison to Hitler is a bit OTT.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think Glyn's actually damaged Wales, but he really hasn't done a great deal for the image of 18-year-old boys...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    RPH wrote:
    Glyn has obviously lead an extremely sheltered life when he has little idea how to deal with people that aren't Welsh, seems very backward in some of his views, seems to think Wales is the world and English people are evil. Seems to think he's gods gift and seems to have been brain-washed that anyone that isn't Welsh is a nasty person.

Glyn seems to give the view that North Wales is very sheletered and has issues with people that no where else in this country would have.

Agree or disagree?

I'm from South Wales and Glyn does not think English people are evil, the only reason he acts like this is because he hasn't really lived life outside of Wales untill now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    The North Welsh tend to be very nationalistic and anti-english, they are also quite sheltered and therefore very ignorant of the bigger picture, I think Glyn's view will change when he comes out of the house and gets a taste of life in London etc.

WTF, no we don't. North Wales isn't sheltered at all and you'll be very hard pushed to find anti-English sentiment in the areas i've lived. Some parts, in the West especially, where major road access isn't maybe as good as it is on the North coast you could argue that point to a degree. Do you believe, though, that people in North Wales don't get Sky TV? Newspapers? The latest magazines? How about mobile phones and technology?

Also, though there are a few loud voices, most people in North Wales aren't arsed about Wales, because Wales isn't arsed about them. In fact where I come from, Prestatyn, most people consider themselves British before Welsh (as I do) and a lot don't know the national anthem (I don't). The majority of the population in North Wales is in coastal areas, where major road access is good.

Is everyone from the South West like Grace Adams-Short? I think not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to Wales once and me and my family were turned away from countless empty hotels because we were English. Yet I still think Wales is a nice country, and Glyn hasn't changed my view of that. He is merely one individual, as they all are - Richard hasn't changed any opinion I have of Canada, Grace of London, etc etc etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,349
    Forum Member
    Godzirra wrote:
    Yes I am being patronising, because what you said was ridiculous. I'm no fan of Rhodri Morgan, he advocates Welsh independence very strongly, but i'm sure a comparison to Hitler is a bit OTT.

Rhodri Morgan doesn't advocate Welsh independence. Even Plaid Cymru try to play down that sort of talk in a bid to encourage voters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ludovica wrote:
    Hitler was so patriotic he invaded and overran the country of his birth.;)

Sorry but he didn't overrun Austria there was an union supported by both countries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el-capitan wrote:
    I've been to Wales once and me and my family were turned away from countless empty hotels because we were English. Yet I still think Wales is a nice country, and Glyn hasn't changed my view of that. He is merely one individual, as they all are - Richard hasn't changed any opinion I have of Canada, Grace of London, etc etc etc.

Oh come off it - turned away from countless empty hotels as you were english? I find that very very hard to believe.
  • skullcruiserskullcruiser Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    RPH wrote:
    Has Glyn damaged Wales?

Yes

Myself and everyone I know who watches BB have all agreed that there is no way we would EVER want to go there after seeing Glyn on BB - he is a jockey, and the old rule is "Behaviour breeds Behaviour".

Regards
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i know glyn is a bit clumsy
    but it really is difficult to damage something as large as wales
    by falling over it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The North Welsh tend to be very nationalistic and anti-english, they are also quite sheltered and therefore very ignorant of the bigger picture, I think Glyn's view will change when he comes out of the house and gets a taste of life in London etc.

This is totally inaccurate. For a start the entire region covers a huge area and you can't just make blanket comments like "everyone in North Wales thinks A or B". Being proud of one's culture and country does not make lead to being anti english.

North Wales is not sheltered at all no more than any other part of the country.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,349
    Forum Member
    Yes

Myself and everyone I know who watches BB have all agreed that there is no way we would EVER want to go there after seeing Glyn on BB - he is a jockey, and the old rule is "Behaviour breeds Behaviour".

Regards

Well if that's your attitude we'll be delighted you're staying away :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Regards

If you are the sort of person who picks their holidays based on the antics of one person on a reality show then its probably just as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Glyns views are NOT indicative of Welsh people.

They are indicative of racist jingoistic bigots.
  • yummybrianyummybrian Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    I've just had a look out of the window, and it looks absolutely fine to me ... ;)
  • murkredimurkredi Posts: 2,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Godzirra wrote:
    WTF, no we don't. North Wales isn't sheltered at all and you'll be very hard pushed to find anti-English sentiment in the areas i've lived. Some parts, in the West especially, where major road access isn't maybe as good as it is on the North coast you could argue that point to a degree. Do you believe, though, that people in North Wales don't get Sky TV? Newspapers? The latest magazines? How about mobile phones and technology?

Also, though there are a few loud voices, most people in North Wales aren't arsed about Wales, because Wales isn't arsed about them. In fact where I come from, Prestatyn, most people consider themselves British before Welsh (as I do) and a lot don't know the national anthem (I don't). The majority of the population in North Wales is in coastal areas, where major road access is good.

Is everyone from the South West like Grace Adams-Short? I think not.

Actually ... I lived in Cornwall for 15 years and most of them LOOKED Like her ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Has Glyn damaged Wales?

I'd imagine Anne Robinson would say that Wales did that all on its own.

Btw, I love Wales so don't get the wrong idea :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I agree :eek: :D
  • mattyp05mattyp05 Posts: 3,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Glyn Damaged Wales? YES. his patriotic views and anti-english remarks has led to more anti-welsh comments on public forums like DS and the fact that most people feel as if they are turned off from visiting Wales because of Glyn himself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Wales is proud of Glyn judging by the papers I read at the weekend from North Wales. Most Welshmen are fiercely patriotic - ever been to the Millennium Stadium??