What's a dashiki?

UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Surely I wasn't the only person yelling "Find a bloody bookshop or a library, go in and look it up in a dictionary. It'll take 30 seconds" at the telly from the start of the task?

And these are 'Britain's brightest young business brains??? :eek:

Comments

• EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didnt really think about it.
    but when harry said "ring a library" i was like finaly a sensible idea.
  • UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was genuinely astonished that it wasn't the very first thing that anybody said when it became clear - within seconds - that nobody knew what it was.

What on earth happened to common sense? :rolleyes:
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lord sugar banned the internet.

and the other team didnt they get told it was an aarab dress?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This seems to happen every time this task is featured. We've had the cloche and nigella seeds before. It was actually made clear for once that the internet is banned, but I cant recall the grownups ever calling up a library or visiting a bookshop either - I always assumed that was banned too so I was actually suprised when they did it this time. I suppose now the secret of the dictionary is out, it'll be the last time a 'mystery' object features on the treasure hunt - sorry - "buying task".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err, since when did...
    "Find a bloody bookshop or a library, go in and look it up in a dictionary. It'll take 30 seconds"
    ... require use of the internet?

I despair of people on these forums sometimes, I really do. :rolleyes:
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why Haya didn't know how to say the word.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was genuinely astonished that it wasn't the very first thing that anybody said when it became clear - within seconds - that nobody knew what it was.

What on earth happened to common sense? :rolleyes:

They have grown up with the net and just proved how useless they are without it.:(
  • camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didnt really think about it.
    but when harry said "ring a library" i was like finaly a sensible idea.

How selfish is that?! Unless he was ringing to find out if they were open of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why Haya didn't know how to say the word.

Its a West African word. When the random bloke said it was arabic Haya said she was arabic, but had never heard of it. That should've led them to question whether random bloke was leading them up the wrong path much earlier than it did...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I dont think ringing up anyone is allowed. Whats to say he hasnt used the internet to find out instead of a dictionary. I would say looking at a dictionary is also not allowed, only asking someone and seeing if he knows.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err, since when did...

... require use of the internet?

I despair of people on these forums sometimes, I really do. :rolleyes:

Its common knowledge that in the tasks they aren't allowed to use the internet, especially on the 'go find the items' task.

Kate Walsh said it on that channel 5 show earlier this year, too.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its common knowledge that in the tasks they aren't allowed to use the internet, especially on the 'go find the items' task.

Kate Walsh said it on that channel 5 show earlier this year, too.

Yeah, but UnrealityTV's point is that you don't need the internet to use a dictionary.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if they're not allowed to use the internet; and even if in future series going in to bookshops and libraries and looking it up in a dictionary is banned as well; I don't understand why they don't just stop a variety of people on the street and ask them if they know what it is. I bet you could find out what anything is within 10 people or so. Just don't necessarily take the first person to answer as giving the exact truth, although nothing to stop them researching further / making phonecalls to shops to find one after that first answer, whilst others in the team ask a few more people in the street to get a second confirmation.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Its odd. I didn't know what a cloche was, or nigella seeds, but a dashiki? I thought that one was pretty easy.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member

and the other team didnt they get told it was an aarab dress?
    Yes, but they got told wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    Its odd. I didn't know what a cloche was, or nigella seeds, but a dashiki? I thought that one was pretty easy.

A great man once said "The question's only easy if you know the answer". OK, it was Chris Tarrent, but it was obviously not a well known item as they asked plenty of people in the streets and they didn't know either.

I'll fess up to not knowing what any of them are, although "Have I got news for you" this week featured a round called "The Cloche of News" and had a piccy of the Downton butler with his cloche.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Yeah, but UnrealityTV's point is that you don't need the internet to use a dictionary.
    At last! Thank you, Takea.

EastEnders-1105 and Carlisle156, it is good form to work out what somebody is saying in a post before steaming in with a reply which shows that you haven't taken two nanoseconds to engage brain first! :rolleyes:
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Its a West African word. When the random bloke said it was arabic Haya said she was arabic, but had never heard of it. That should've led them to question whether random bloke was leading them up the wrong path much earlier than it did...

Everyone else could say it.

She was always saying "Dashika, dishika, dashiku", her being Arabic, and not West African, has nothing to do with it. Either she can't read, or she's an idiot who kept getting it wrong deliberately.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if it was Japanese, it would be pronounced

dash - key
  • mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do these guys coming on the show never do their homework!?? Every series there is a week like this, and there is always something "strange." They should know to expect it by now...