Camerawork tonight

Comments

• cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    During Dani's dance they cut to a shot where the dances could not be seen .
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was I the only one who sometimes couldn't FIND the dancers in shot? I remember them pulling back on Dani and Vincent and I was staring at the screen, trying to spot the pair of them on the floor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Camera-work utterly diabolical. I have no idea if Kimberley and Pasha's dance was wonderful or dreadful ,as I only saw about 7% of it. A total mess. :mad:
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Was I the only one who sometimes couldn't FIND the dancers in shot? I remember them pulling back on Dani and Vincent and I was staring at the screen, trying to spot the pair of them on the floor.
    Agreed - the fancy light effects that work in the usual studio are overwhelming at Wembley , and end up camouflaging the dancers
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    Agreed - the fancy light effects that work in the usual studio are overwhelming at Wembley , and end up camouflaging the dancers

The Wembley lights lit up my imagination, I thought the whole thing was amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
    Yes they never learn as bad as ever, total pants:mad: Can't understand why they get it so wrong, they've had plenty of practice at it.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was dire and the sound was wrong too as well.
  • Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    I vote they send the camera crew to dwts.

Every shot is the whole body shot taken from a series of angles.

As a viewer you dont miss a thing about the dance, and it makes it interesting
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many of you have actually complained to the BBC? (see my link on page 1). Far more likely to make a difference than moaning here.
  • DalwhatDalwhat Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    They go to Wembley for the money. 6000 people paying money to Children in Need. That said however as a spectacle it destroys the competition. The lighing was superb and you got the feeling that the camermen were told to concentrate on it rather than the dancers. Anyway, back to the real competition next week.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dalwhat wrote: »
    They go to Wembley for the money. 6000 people paying money to Children in Need. That said however as a spectacle it destroys the competition. The lighing was superb and you got the feeling that the camermen were told to concentrate on it rather than the dancers. Anyway, back to the real competition next week.

Also 6000 get chance to see the programme live, how many does the normal studio hold?
  • Mrs-MopMrs-Mop Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frank Mag wrote: »
    Please do not go back to Wembley next year it is too big and the resulting mess of a show we got tonight proves it.

Awful camera angels, distance shots, lighting, but what really annoyed me was the constant switching between long shots, zooming in, panning out ( Into outer space :rolleyes:), I want to see the dance not arty production values

Ditto :mad:
  • verity65verity65 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    awful camera work,naff sound system I do not like it when they go to Wembley it`s too big.Audience noise was apalling too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monitot wrote: »
    The BBC should be ashamed, they expect people to vote on the dancing with those camera shots?? Spoilt it for me!!

Me too i was so angry i was shouting at the tv :mad::o

Shame i would love to have seen more of Denises dance.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    verity65 wrote: »
    awful camera work,naff sound system I do not like it when they go to Wembley it`s too big.Audience noise was apalling too.

Absolutely agree.

Sound system - weak and bordering on incompetent.

Camera work - weak and bordering on incompetent.

Audience noise - overpowering.

Problem is they appear to be offering work to first year media studies students without any consideration of the viewing public who, let us not forget, pay our licence fees to keep them all in a rather comfortable working environment.

As for the ridiculous lighting effects and the utterly imbecilic 'slide shows' on the floor - words fail me.

Can't see the point - come to think of it couldn't see the dancers either.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    The Wembley lights lit up my imagination, I thought the whole thing was amazing.

No, that was just the lighting reacting with your tablets, Terry.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Agree it was dreadful - but surely it's the director/ vision mixer who chooses which cameras to pick from.
    Not all of the cameras will have a perfect shot, it is up to the ditrector to choose the view to broadcast.

Assume the director or vision mixer or whomever is most to blme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    It's a competition where anything can happen, not a tightly choreographed 'arena' show with plenty of camera rehearsal time.
    (The other really annoying thing for me is that Sir Bruce keeps encouraging exended applause; great if you are there, but fatally dull on TV.)
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't hear everything either. I have a bit of a cold but have managed to hear everything on cookery shows on at the moment so it can't be just my hearing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may as well have been filming much of Dani and Vincent's quickstep from outer space for all I could make them out whenever there was an aerial shot.
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Total crap TV camerawork, agree with all comments and tonights results show will be no better...awful.
  • musicangelmusicangel Posts: 7,164
    Forum Member
    Juless wrote: »
    Just shocking, particularly when the dancers weren't on the central raised area of the stage.

How can you judge the dances, when you can't see parts of them?

The BBC should be better than this.
    i actually made friends with the two camera men next two us, they do the best job they can by camera blocking and ejersals but the live shows the dances sometimes alter and they have to get different shots to compensate, there is a guy running round that huge floor as his life depended.on it... If you wanted more there wouldn't be room for the dances to actually dance ... Maybe stand down a bit they are just doing their jobs
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that there were prearranged shots of the light show effects (most noticeable during Richard and Erin's performance where you could see more of the "creatures' swimming in the 'sea' than them) demonstrates that they are deliberately going for the wow factor rather than the dance factor. It was really hard to judge how well most of the couples were dancing last night because of the camera angles. The same complaint is made every years but to no avail. BBC knows best.
  • lizziwillslizziwills Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a little better than last year, but the place is just too big for the dances, the cameramen and the TV audience. There's no sense of being close to the dancers that you get in the studio and the dancers are just swallowed up by the immensity of the arena.

I know the atmosphere must be amazing, but it's not a good TV experience!
  • musicangelmusicangel Posts: 7,164
    Forum Member
    Btw they had all worked 18 hour day