Peaches Geldof dead (Merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Bela wrote: »
    Addicts are not known for their rationality. To call her stupid seems to me to be completely ignoring the fact that she had an addiction, or failing to understand how harsh its grip can be. It's a frightening thing, and a very difficult thing to manage. Far stronger people than Peaches sadly succumb to addiction every day of the week. Calling her stupid and being disappointmed by her is - imo - failing to understand how chronic and debilitating and bleak an illness it can be.

She relapsed. It happens. Just the nature of addiction.

Firstly I agree with your post....I'am now 50yrs old....but can still recall returning home for the summer break from my first year in Uni to discover countless friends had succumbed to the dreaded heroin....I could bang on about addiction all night long but it is not black and white as many posters seem to believe.....The addicts I knew came from all walks of life and for one reason or another a bit of teenage experimentation resulted in many of them never fulfilling the promise of their early teenage years....in fact more than 30yrs later many of them are now dead....no one ever OD...but most never truly kicked the habit...although a few did....basically a life time of addiction....be it heroin or methadone took it's toll on their health.

Most people look at me with a wry look on their face when I say anyone can become addicted to heroin...but they really can and I always tell them it could happen to their child....it really could!!.....and God forbid but if they do become addicted then only one thing will ever matter in their lives....heroin...heroin..and heroin.....nothing matters but heroin....Family, friends or work/study mean sweet FA if they have't had their fix....no matter how mentally strong you think they are the power of heroin is stronger....their beloved child will steal,lie and deceive anyone and everyone....including those closest to them....in fact those closest to an addict are the ones who are easiest to deceive because they really can't believe their child could really be so deceitful....but trust me they can...and they will be.
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people look at me with a wry look on their face when I say anyone can become addicted to heroin...but they really can and I always tell them it could happen to their child....it really could!!.....

Whilst I don't doubt your own experience and perspective, a person has to say "yes" to heroin to become addicted to heroin. A lot of people don't actually take drugs, nor would they, nor do they particularly move in circles where drugs (certainly hard drugs) are regularly used.

Peaches doesn't deserve condemnation, but I'm not going to go out of my way to "understand" what she has done either. I don't really get either extreme view on this and a lot of people are making every effort to seem like they are understanding and not condemning and to me, are in danger of missing the point. She seems to have been taking heroin around her young children when she had care of them - we may know more eventually but that's how it seems. If that is correct, then she was most certainly in the wrong and understanding someone's pain doesn't mean I condone her putting her kids in danger. I'm sure she was hurting. May she rest in peace and I feel for her kids.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    lovinjon wrote: »
    no you don't know why or what was going on, but I would of thought she deserved some compassion I dare say Peaches was unhappy most of her life

I think that's one of the reasons it seems even sadder now, all the living her life via social media declaring how great life was, turned a corner etc. Was it all just an act and she was really just trying to convince herself in the hope it would eventually fall into place and she would feel that way.

I think the marriage, son born on Paulas birthday were all attempts to try and heal and get herself sorted. From what has been reported so far it doesn't seem like Peaches was having a gay old time, just enjoying getting high & sod the kids attitude. I just hope those boys are at an age where they will be less affected and have a relatively normal life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Whilst I don't doubt your own experience and perspective, a person has to say "yes" to heroin to become addicted to heroin. A lot of people don't actually take drugs, nor would they, nor do they particularly move in circles where drugs (certainly hard drugs) are regularly used.

Peaches doesn't deserve condemnation, but I'm not going to go out of my way to "understand" what she has done either. I don't really get either extreme view on this and a lot of people are making every effort to seem like they are understanding and not condemning and to me, are in danger of missing the point. She seems to have been taking heroin around her young children when she had care of them - we may know more eventually but that's how it seems. If that is correct, then she was most certainly in the wrong and understanding someone's pain doesn't mean I condone her putting her kids in danger. I'm sure she was hurting. May she rest in peace and I feel for her kids.
    .....and that's why I always say...just say NO....but as a rational adult that's easy to say....teenagers however no matter oh well we try to bring them up will always have the "I'am immortal" psyche of youth....all we can do as adults is try our best and point them in the direction of the fallen such as Peaches Geldof.....As parents I'am sure drug addiction is the one thing we dread most when trying to guide our children through the angst and turmoil of growing up.....Hopefully this high profile case will stick in the minds of those youngsters who read this thread and the wider press coverage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I can't help but feel a number of conflicting emotions about this. I feel sadness and pity over the loss and waste of a young life and for the grief of the family. But I also feel revolted and angry at this same weak person for putting her child in harms way by giving in to her addiction when she knew there was noone else in the house to take care of him. This same person who has had more love, money and support to help her confront her problems than most people in her situation do but still chose the quick fix to deal with things.

I'm angry at the collateral damage she's caused in the process, she's destroyed not just her own life but the lives of all those closest to her. I feel angry at being taken for an idiot because the manner of her death seems to have revealed her hypocrisy and lies about her parenting and lifestyle which she sold to the public to make money. It makes you wonder if we ever knew her at all.

It all eats into the compassion I feel when there are so many recovering addicts who fight everyday in much worse circumstances, with more emotional baggage to be better parents and better people. This weak person has been given every opportunity to succeed in life and still f*cked up.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shegeek wrote: »
    I can't help but feel a number of conflicting emotions about this. I feel sadness and pity over the loss and waste of a young life and for the grief of the family. But I also feel revolted and angry at this same weak person for putting her child in harms way by giving in to her addiction when she knew there was noone else in the house to take care of him. This same person who has had more love, money and support to help her confront her problems than most people in her situation do but still chose the quick fix to deal with things.

I'm angry at the collateral damage she's caused in the process, she's destroyed not just her own life but the lives of all those closest to her. I feel angry at being taken for an idiot because the manner of her death seems to have revealed her hypocrisy and lies about her parenting and lifestyle which she sold to the public to make money. It makes you wonder if we ever knew her at all.

It all eats into the compassion I feel when there are so many recovering addicts who fight everyday in much worse circumstances, with more emotional baggage to be better parents and better people. This weak person has been given every opportunity to succeed in life and still f*cked up.

^^^THIS^^^ is exactly how I feel
  • GODDESSGODDESS Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJM91 wrote: »
    Someone very close had a baby last year and smoked cannabis throughout the pregnancy, she never had any involvement off social services, no mention of it showing up in pre natal tests either.Thought that was an american thing (drug testing in pregnancy?). Or was it that your sister was a known user so had specific tests for heroin/drugs during pregnancy? Just seems odd given I know several people to have done similar things (not heroin but cannabis and drinking alcohol) and theres never been any social services involvement and infact nothing to say hcp even knew about it?

My Sister lives in Dublin so I don't know if your drug tested over here. Dublin had a really bad heroin problem in the 90's and there were lots of babies born addicted to drugs.

She became addicted to drugs in early 1993 shortly after the birth of her Son. A year later she became pregnant again.
    Her daughter was born 2 months premature in 1994. She didn't attend any hospital appointments so as soon as the baby was born she was put in a SCBU. She remained in hospital for 5 months due to her low birth weight and they had to wean her off the drug. Amazingly my Sister was able to keep her but if I'm honest she was brought up by my older Sister as my Sister was always high.

When she got pregnant again a few years ago the hospital had her history and she tested positive for heroin, so this baby was put in long term foster care. My Sister and my family maintain contact with him and she is trying to get him back. She's off heroin but has to take methadone.

Peaches had a well documented drug past so I would have presumed that with her history she would have been tested during her pregnancies.
  • pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's incredibly sad,but it was a choice she made .She was one of the fortunate ones who could have called on her wealthy father for financial help to get clean .She wasn't some poor kid off a sink estate without the means or back up to get clean. There is not a doubt in my mind Bob would've backed her 100% in a recovery bid . Instead she chose to use and it killed her .Or contributed to her death, however you choose to dress it up .
    It's also ironic that she promoted attached parenting while using drugs.I hate to speak badly etc etc but really, clutching a baby to you 24/7 while knowingly using hard drugs is seriously crazy parenting. Babies in that type of environment have been taken into care .
    Her poor boys :(
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The trouble is they say Yes to heroin when they're young and have only themselves to consider, and then they can get hooked. Even if they manage to give it up, the temptation to go back to it in times of stress or worry is always there. It's a crutch, like tranquillisers or sleeping pills or alcohol, but a much more dangerous one. Peaches shouldn't have given Into temptation, but she did as so many others do, and unfortunately it cost her her life. :(
  • pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She had care of them 24/7 though.That's what bugs me.She had no nannies . She fought tooth and nail in her debate with Katie Hopkins banging on about the importance of having your baby attached to you 24/7, yet all along she was using while with her babies (one must assume).That's frankly hypocritical in my book .God rest her soul etc etc but she messed up good .
  • AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    It's always sad when someone dies, particularly leaving kids behind but she was a waste of space, let's be honest, just like her mother. I'm not one to condemn people unnecessarily for drug taking either but she had every privilege in the world. I'd be surprised if het family didn't know about this either but seemingly did nothing. By most accounts she would have treated us 'normals' like something she stepped in on the street too, as backed up in the thread in this forum about celebs in real life.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Silly cow. Shouldnt have taken heroin. Couldnt her family see what she was doing?

I find it very hard to believe that they weren't aware of her habit. They know she's been involved in drugs in the past and Bob is supposed to be a man of the world ...... Surely he could see the signs. Even if he missed it, the hubby or her adult sisters must have known.

I guess they will all still keep harping on about what a wonderful, funny, bonkers person she was. I think it's time they stopped fooling themselves and admitted that she was on drugs and cared about them more than she did her own babies.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Peaches Geldof was an addict that cared more for personal gratification than caring for her child. She would have known that taking heroin posed a danger to her child, yet she did it anyway.
    Her child luckily survived and now she is gone. Anything could have happened to that baby. Harsh as it may seem, the children are better off without a mother who is so addicted to drugs that she doesn't even care for their welfare anymore.
    Perhaps it is better to have happened now than later when they were older and the damage would be greater.
    I do hope their childhood and teenage years are managed better than Peaches. I hope they are given an upbringing away from drugs.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I find it very hard to believe that they weren't aware of her habit. They know she's been involved in drugs in the past and Bob is supposed to be a man of the world ...... Surely he could see the signs. Even if he missed it, the hubby or her adult sisters must have known.

I guess they will all still keep harping on about what a wonderful, funny, bonkers person she was. I think it's time they stopped fooling themselves and admitted that she was on drugs and cared about them more than she did her own babies.

Yes, he was well aware. I understand she had OD'd before.
    It's not unusual for them to try and concentrate on the good parts of her personality in their eulogies however it seems to be a struggle to find much good to say about this woman.
  • misty cloudmisty cloud Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Peaches supposedly was upset by Bobs lack of "involvement" in her life. I suspect he knew what was going on and having watched her mothers decent and eventual death could not go along with playing Peaches game that all was great in her world. I could be wrong but that's my feeling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything about this post is wrong.

Just because some addicts can kick the habit doesn't mean everyone can

Jane Tomlinson had cancer and cycled across America

Therefore everyone who has cancer can do the same, right?

That just daft, you don't go find a cancer pusher to sell you cancer pills, but drugs are something you go out your way to find and take. Sorry how can the 2 be compared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At 25 you are barely grown up. It's too easy to be black and white and rational about it. Humans are not rational beings, we're emotional beings. If we were rational we would all be the perfect weight, wouldn't drink, do drugs, or eat too much sugar.

Not grown up at 25, a lot at That age have import any jobs, families by 25, so at what age do you grow-up.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    Yes, he was well aware. I understand she had OD'd before.
    It's not unusual for them to try and concentrate on the good parts of her personality in their eulogies however it seems to be a struggle to find much good to say about this woman.

Maybe you can't, I'm sure her family & friends would say different, also, with respect, is there any need for such a comment? A young woman, who none of us know anything about, has tragically died.
    Yes the opinion on her using heroin is divided which is fair enough, however I think the reasons as to why she felt the need to take that God awful drug are far more relevant.
  • Endeavor_MorseEndeavor_Morse Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    police are launching criminal investigation into how she got drugs....her husband must have known...is he a user as well? if he is, the kids should be removed by social services.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Not grown up at 25, a lot at That age have import any jobs, families by 25, so at what age do you grow-up.

I think in recent years people are growing up slower. I've known 20something's who're still at home with Mum (prob through financial necessity) & are still fussed over, waited on hand & foot, they effectively don't have adult responsibilities. They may work but they don't really pay bills, or have responsibilities for kids etc. How different is this state than the teenage years other than a few calendar years on their age?? So the idea that everyone is an "adult" by 25 isnt applicable for everyone.
    Peaches had kids, but was in the notoriously flaky world of celebdom, where having kids "perfect" your life, whilst ignoring the fact that reality often messier. Look at the way she presented herself, the perfect Mom, I don't buy celebs whitewash their lives. Everyone lives with stresses.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Don't know if this has been mentioned but has anyone else noticed that the story has changed? The first few days after her death it was reported that her husband was trying to get hold of her and when she didn't answer he raised the alarm and sent a friend round..and now it's being said that he returned home from his parents house and found her body.

:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't an official story before though, just the papers using minimal details to try and piece is together.
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if social services will now investigate. To make sure the children are being raised in a safe environment.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The heroin itself wouldnt have killed her,more so it caused other problems such as heart attack.
    http://www.peele.net/lib/heroinoverdose.html
    http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/cu/cu12.htm