Options

BBC "Almost Axed Doctor Who When David Tennant Quit"

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hid myself in a water cooler for days on end. Looking back I'm not sure it was entirely worth it for such a little exclusive:D

And I bet you weren't even drunk...
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought seasons six and seven were crap, but season five and the anniversary episode were fantastic, so if they'd cancelled the show after DT left, I obviously would have missed those, so even though the episodes haven't always been good, I'm glad they kept the show going.
    A bit harsh,I don't think there have been any crap seasons..
    I never thought Ecclestone was quite a proper Doctor
    I didn't like the Rose/Doctor love stuff
    And the whole Clara who is she? arc just got on my nerves.

But I've still enjoyed every season since it came back.It's remained overall great:)
  • Options
    Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, Tennant leaving wasn't the problem for me. Absolutely adored Tennant - he made me love the show when I was about 13 but it felt like he left at the right time - his Doctor's story was done. Always loved Smith, but couldn't warm to Amy at all and Moffatt's style has continually got on my nerves (its like a love/ hate relationship - at his best the show is excellent, but at his worst its boring nonsense). Only just got back into the show from the from the first half of series 7 and especially once Amy left, but Smith's last episode was so terrible I've actually lost excitement for the show again - even with Capaldi on the way (fantastic actor but honestly don't like the idea of him in this particular role at all.)

Overall glad it has continued though. There have been some brilliant episodes throughout the series. I've just lost that feeling recently that event the worst episodes can be saved by brilliant moments and a love for the characters - its not quite been the same since RTDs left.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    A bit harsh,I don't think there have been any crap seasons..
    I never thought Ecclestone was quite a proper Doctor
    I didn't like the Rose/Doctor love stuff
    And the whole Clara who is she? arc just got on my nerves.

But I've still enjoyed every season since it came back.It's remained overall great:)

Wouldnt have been so bad it they cancelled it considering they wouldnt give us a proper real multi doctor story anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Probably because Moffat wanted to be the one to answer the 12 regenerations limit and might be around to do it in future.

We didnt need it though. It should have been left until Capaldi's Sucessor had finished.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I hid myself in a water cooler for days on end. Looking back I'm not sure it was entirely worth it for such a little exclusive:D

Well, between series and so little new stuff for the forum to feed on, I think your dedication to the cause is to be admired.
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So reading between the lines.

BBC Big Wigs and RTD bump into each other.

BBC Big Wigs - Ahhh. Russell you old slag, just a quick brain fart old chap.
    This Tennant bloke was rather ridiculously popular. Do you think the show can continue without him? After all Tv isn't like it was 50 years ago.
    RTD - Why of course.
    Both at same time - Hurrah.
    BBC Big Wigs - Well Good day sir.
    RTD - Good day.

Nearly axed, my arse.

Thank-you for making me laugh out loud at this :)
    Here's a tip for future posts.

If you like Tennant, you're an irrational fangirl.
    If you like Smith, you're a true Doctor Who fan. Definitely not any sort of fangirl.

(Just so you know what sort of reaction to expect - unpredictable it ain't).

The " my doctors better than your doctor" debate just never dies down on this forum. David Tennant fans do seem get a hard time on this forum. I really don't get it. Why do you have to be a "fangirl " to like david's interpretation ? He was incredibly successful and as an attractive man played a more romantic hero type which appealed to a wider female demographic so that s great isn't it ?

Doesn't mean they can be described as fan girls because they don't like a different person in the role. I mean I liked Michael Praed in Robin of Sherwood years ago but when he left I didn't enjoy Jason Connery as much who replaced him.

Moffat's comments are so understandable with his natural nervousness at taking over from his predecessor. I would have really loved to see Moffat write a whole season for David Tennant just to see where he might have taken it.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    The " my doctors better than your doctor" debate just never dies down on this forum. David Tennant fans do seem get a hard time on this forum. I really don't get it. Why do you have to be a "fangirl " to like david's interpretation ? He was incredibly successful and as an attractive man played a more romantic hero type which appealed to a wider female demographic so that s great isn't it ?

Doesn't mean they can be described as fan girls because they don't like a different person in the role. I mean I liked Michael Praed in Robin of Sherwood years ago but when he left I didn't enjoy Jason Connery as much who replaced him. .

It seems a few posters on this forum work themselves up into a tizzy by having arguments with a few teenage girls on you tube or wherever. They then come here and treat everyone with even the remotest criticism or genuine preference as Tennant Fangirls.

The irony is these posters are far worse than any Tennant fangirl. Just look how many times they cram it into their posts, even when no other poster has actual said anything. I would suggest they are the ones with the 'fangirl'fanboy' problem and not any fans of Matt Smith/Tennant/Moffat/RTD ..whoever on here.

But of course, as I am sure you have noticed it is fine for them to moan about episodes and series they do not like.

It became tiresome a long time ago
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The irony is these posters are far worse than any Tennant fangirl.
    Dont. Just... please don't. For every irrational anti-Tennant screamer, there's an irrational anti-Smith moaner. Neither are worse, or more horrible, or more prevalent than the other. The only thing we can do is choose not to be one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnnysaucepn
    Dont. Just... please don't

Just did. :)
    . For every irrational anti-Tennant screamer, there's an irrational anti-Smith moaner. Neither are worse, or more horrible, or more prevalent than the other.

I beg to disagree when applied to the DS Who forum.

Maybe some need to keep their little social media tiffs with little girls on the sites they first read them and quit applying it to posters here.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If there weren't roughly equal numbers on each 'side' - or at least an equal volume of noise - we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Believe me, both 'sides' think they're in the minority, and being unfairly persecuted. There are no underdogs.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    You can't say 'dealing in fact' then say something which is your opinion.
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Saladfingers thinking his opinion is fact when trying to lecture someone else on their own opinions.

*facepalm*

I don't know if you've ever been on this forum before (joke - I know you both have), but you might not have come across salad's postings before (joke - I am definite you will have). He tends to be humourous, and often uses sarcasm to illuminate the point he's making.

It seems you are unaware of the sarcasm very evident in that post you have quoted from. Just to make you aware - there was heavy sarcasm in the post you were quoting from.

(and, just to let you know, this post from myself also has a helping...)

Glad I could be of service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just did. :)

Maybe some need to keep their little social media tiffs with little girls on the sites they first read them and quit applying it to posters here.:)

Or maybe they should be spending more time doing their GCSE's than wasting it on twitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or maybe they should be spending more time doing their GCSE's than wasting it on twitter.

Yeah, bloody kids. Grrrrrrr
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing like a bit of passive aggressive posting to reveal someone's true nature.

FYI. I don't ever engage in direct communication with squealing fan girls or fan boys of any doctor or era. I just happen to acknowledge their existence.

For instance a vehement pro-RTD and anti-Moffat person was retweeted onto my timeline yesterday by someone I was following. I did not seek it out. Quite frankly I would rather not read such drivel. But I cant pretend I didn't and I wont pretend the post didn't exist and indeed I shan't pretend it didn't contain a rather nasty and vicious threat of violence against the showrunner from a twenty something female fan of the show.

These people exist. They are a minority. But it doesn't take too long if you engage in fandom in any way at all online to come across them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I've never wanted to backhand anyone as hard in my life as I want to continually backhand Steven Moffat

I want every woman Steven Moffat knows to call him up and tell him that he's a stupid entitled little boy & then laugh at him a lot

I wish I could make Steven Moffat irrelevant to every human on the planet except Steven Moffat, the better to universally mock him

I wish we universally mocked Steven Moffat & his puerile little putrescent entitled little white boy ideas the way we mock, say, Carrot Top.

no wait i'm not done, Steven Moffat DESERVES TO HAVE THE MICROPHONE NEVER. HE DESERVES TO BE BEATEN ABOUT THE HEAD WITH THE MICROPHONE. /end

@the_macbean he is actual human garbage"

A 'Doctor Who' fan there with rather alot of followers and who writes for an online sci-fi website. So not the squealing teenybopper stereotype.

Cant say I've read this sort of thing about RTD. And it isn't rare. Hence why Moffat quit social media. Of course someone will now move the goalposts and say 'dont go on Twitter'. That's not the point. The point is this stuff is out there.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I was quite fond of Matt's Doctor (although its worth noting my favourite 11th Doctor story is "Death of the Doctor").

I do think Moffat's comments are more about a perception that there were people within the BBC who were worried whether the show could move on after Tennant - I cannot imagine anyone at the BBC was really stupid enough to talk about cancellation.

Although, having worked there . . . :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cant say I've read this sort of thing about RTD. And it isn't rare. Hence why Moffat quit social media. Of course someone will now move the goalposts and say 'dont go on Twitter'. That's not the point. The point is this stuff is out there.
    There's lots of extreme and noisy opinions out there. It's our job to not let them colour our view of everyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's lots of extreme and noisy opinions out there. It's our job to not let them colour our view of everyone else.

Oh i don't. Its why i stay on Twitter because I have some great Whovian friends who have a fair and balanced discussion about the show. I suppose its that thing about a very loud and vocal minority who like to be heard.

And I don't think its exclusively Anti-Moffat fans. No doubt a day will come when vehement pro-Moffat fans will turn on the next Show runner whoever that might be.

But it does seem Moffat seems to have upset a certain section of fandom who choose to paint him in a way that just doesn't tally for me with the reality. Sure. Criticise his work all you like but its the personal stuff like I posted above that baffles and annoys me.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who works in TV, what SM describes is no surprise. However much one might dislike TV executives (and, Hell, I've had enough of some of them!) they are paid to make decisions. And when the star of a series chooses to leave, they always have to decide if the show should continue or not. The nuclear option - cancellation - will always be considered. That doesn't mean anyone did seriously consider cancelling Dr. Who. But the question would have been asked. It would be odd if it wasn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And I don't think its exclusively Anti-Moffat fans. No doubt a day will come when vehement pro-Moffat fans will turn on the next Show runner whoever that might be.
    Oh, they will. Moffat happened to hit the sweet spot that I like in my storytelling, even when it went slightly off the rails, I loved it. And I've no doubt that the next showrunner will have their own style. Perhaps more traditional, perhaps more wacky - but I doubt it'll be the same formula that works for me. But I hope any criticism, or adulation, I have will be taken and debated in the spirit intended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I've never wanted to backhand anyone as hard in my life as I want to continually backhand Steven Moffat

I want every woman Steven Moffat knows to call him up and tell him that he's a stupid entitled little boy & then laugh at him a lot

I wish I could make Steven Moffat irrelevant to every human on the planet except Steven Moffat, the better to universally mock him

I wish we universally mocked Steven Moffat & his puerile little putrescent entitled little white boy ideas the way we mock, say, Carrot Top.

no wait i'm not done, Steven Moffat DESERVES TO HAVE THE MICROPHONE NEVER. HE DESERVES TO BE BEATEN ABOUT THE HEAD WITH THE MICROPHONE. /end

@the_macbean he is actual human garbage"

A 'Doctor Who' fan there with rather alot of followers and who writes for an online sci-fi website. So not the squealing teenybopper stereotype.

Yep he cant handle criticism!
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

If you think that is 'criticism', then you might need to update your understanding. None of those are criticisms, they are personal attacks.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Funny, I was just reading the comments on a DWTV article which was about Moffat's words in DWM.
    “Ah, all the things I’ve never said. I could write a book, full of words I never wrote. I’m used to a foot in my mouth, but on the whole I’d prefer it was my own.

“The other morning I woke up to several online newspaper editions announcing I’d called all the Doctors ugly. That one set me blinking. As you know, I am an icon of male beauty (dear Man In New York, we Brits call that a joke), but that seemed a bit off.

“A quick investigation – it turned out me declaring that the Doctors were all “not conventionally attractive” (my own ripped physique allows me such imperious judgements) had been lightly processed into the kind of clickbait that means you have to email your friends.

“Ho hum. Just another day’s blundering. And sometimes, in my paranoia and embarrassment, I wonder if I’m just making everybody cross all the time. I used to do that socially on an individual basis, but now every screw-up goes viral. My epic lack of tact has been weaponised!”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-clarifies-ugly-doctors-comments-63538.htm

Filter comments by Hot Threads.