Options

secret life of cats ,,,itv,,,9pm

Comments

• Options
    DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    She had green eyes but if it was dark, you could see the backs of them glowing in the dark and one was red, which was a bit odd. Made me wonder if she was just deaf in one ear.
    That's interesting, as it's usually just blue eyes that glow red in the dark. Maybe there was blue somewhere in those green eyes. We used to have a Birman with lovely blue eyes, and sometimes she'd wake me up in the middle of the night by jumping on my pillow and all I'd see were these two big red eyes staring at me. Gave me quite a turn when she first started doing it!

Interesting to learn more about Hamish and his many 'owners'. Our neighbour's cat is something like that, his owner works so he spends his days visiting not just us but various other people nearby who happen to be at home during the day. He's out and about some nights too, and comes knocking at our cat-flap which we close up as our own two cats are kept indoors at night. I find myself having to get up to let him in in the early hours of the morning - just as well I'm retired and don't have to get up for work in the morning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    That was a really enjoyable. I too would have liked another hour. We have a Turkish Van cat - he has never swum though his sire loved doing a few 'lengths' in the bath.
    Also have a Birman - the prettiest cat we've ever had and the sweetest nature.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great programme, I adore cats so this was TV heaven for me :D
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was fascinating :)
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved this programme, all those cute furry friends!

Never knew that about them not being able to see things less than 12 feet away, I thought my cat was short sighted and all cats are long sighted, who knew?

Particularly loved the cute tabby kitten, the one called Jessi cat and the swimming Turkish Van!
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed it but saw it advertised yesterday. Can't wait to watch it on ITV Player. I love cats and hope cat haters watch it so they can see just how awesome cats actually are. If it's successful then you never know it might get its own series instead of just a one off programme.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    Oh wow at this cat and the elderly dog...

When our cat was alive our neighbour had a very elderly pug. She said that before her pug died he liked to just sit on the garden in the shade and more often than not our cat would be sat with him keeping him company, which we thought was lovely.

The strange thing was that our neighbours across the road had a boxer and when he was nearing the end of his life our cat did exactly the same, go across and sit with him in the garden. They were amazed when we told them he did the same with out next door neighbour's pug. :)
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rarely watch ITV, so found the ads/promos almost unbearable, but the programme was good. I just hope some idiots aren't tempted to chuck a cat off a high balcony just to see if it lands.

Many non-cat folk think they are boring, bland creatures whereas they are in fact complex and fascinating. Part of their appeal for me is that no matter how domesticated, they never lose their wild instincts. Unlike some dogs, which are barely more than a wind-up toy for their owners.

Our gorgeous tortoiseshell took notice for 5 mins, then lost interest. She much prefers bird programmes :D
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got this to watch tonight, sounds like quite a nice program.

If you want more kitties and have access to the channel "Animal Planet" they've just started reshowing series one of "Must love cats" - John Fulton tours America seeking out quirky cat stories. Series two went international and featured episodes from UK and Japan too.:)
  • Options
    ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't comment any more last night as was too engrossed in kitty heaven :kitty: (first time I've had a genuine need to use that smiley :D ).
    Never knew that about the fact they can't see up close but now explains why when we put a biscuit right under their nose they can't see it. Explains a lot now. Recorded it so I can take it it for my Stepdad to watch when I visit tomorrow as well as to see his 3 cats. Or rather my Mums cats but sadly she died but I'm relieved & I'm sure she will be he is taking as much good care of them as she did.
    Sadly I can't have cats in my flat as I live upstairs with no garden & wouldn't feel right keeping a cat as an indoor cat after growing up with cats who enjoy spending time outdoors as well as indoors.
    We had a white cat once who was deaf. He had both blue eyes. Although I remember once when it was thundering & he shot up as it made him jump & my Stepdad thought it meant he could maybe hear but I said it was probably the vibrations he felt.

I was amazed at the cat who fell out a 19th floor window & survived. :o I know cats are pretty good at landing, when I was a teenager a kitten I had fell out of my bedroom window & I was convinced he had died & rushed down screaming he was dead to find him skipping around the garden, we named him Skippy as he seemed to skip everywhere as a kitten.

Although my stepdad now looks after my Mum's cats he has made me promise that if anything was to happen to him I mustn't let them go & rehome them but take them on myself & despite having a small one bedroomed flat with no garden & knowing they'd probally have to stay indoors, I've promised I'd take them in. Hopefully he'll be around longer than them but it would break my heart if they had to be split up & go with strangers & they're my family.;-)

Nice to see other cat lovers:D
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When our cat was alive our neighbour had a very elderly pug. She said that before her pug died he liked to just sit on the garden in the shade and more often than not our cat would be sat with him keeping him company, which we thought was lovely.

The strange thing was that our neighbours across the road had a boxer and when he was nearing the end of his life our cat did exactly the same, go across and sit with him in the garden. They were amazed when we told them he did the same with out next door neighbour's pug. :)

We have two cats...or rather they have us ! Our cats ever since I was little were rescued by us or over the years have adopted us having 'appeared' and they've all been smashing characters. New Year gone, a little anxious tabby kitten pitched up in the back...he would have died but I managed to coax him in with food and he was a joy for the month we kept him though our two weren't as pleased being used as a plaything by him ! He made me smile again after very close bereavements over the last two years but I knew I couldn't keep him as our other tom was too distressed so he now lives with a dear young couple we know who love him to bits.
    I do think cats have a sense of illness/death in other creatures and moreover humans. I nursed my Mum here at home for two years as she was paralysed and bedridden with strokes and our late little tabby Trixie used to jump on Mum's bed and lie purring with her paw on Mums paralysed hand. When she passed away, we had her back at home a couple of nights before her funeral and the two cats slept under her dais each night as though on sentry duty... as if they were guarding her. Lovely to see but not surprising to anyone who loves animals and knows the special joys of having cats.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    The fact that cats can't focus on things closer than 12 inches in front of them would explain why my cat can't see biscuits when they're right under her nose!:D

And explains why my adult cat doesn't freak out when the two kittens are right next to him but gets all growly when they walk into the room he's in!
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting show. Three things I would have to disagree with that were mentioned on the show:

Cats purr when they're anxious.

I've had two cats and they've never purred when they're anxious. It's the opposite. They always purr when they're content and enjoying human contact. I think this claim - which I've read on the internet too - is an urban myth or extremely rare.

Cats ears moving a lot when they're asleep. This is not correct (based on my experience of cats). When cats are deep in sleep their ears don't move like radars and track/listen for danger. I've never seen it.
    Didnt know white cats were deaf...

I've never heard of that before. No cat breed/hair colour type is naturally deaf. That's nonsense.

The show was fun, though, but they shouldn't make wild claims that are not true.

Cats rule. :)
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Puddin wrote: »
    Yeah it's so sad. Sorry if my reply was a bit snippy. I get a bit defensive over neutering after all of the suffering I have seen. :(

Hamish has his own Wikipedia page for anybody who is interested. I've known of him for a while, about 20 people thought they owned him. He had his own seat at the library and he would sit with children for story times. The butcher and hairdresser and a few families all thought he belonged to them, until they realised he was house hopping. He's such a dude! :D

I am with you on that. The amount of kittens and puppies that are still being breed is disgusting when rescue centers are full to the brim. All for money >:(

Hamish reminded me of the cat 'Oscar a cat about town' from the James Herriot books. He visited the cinema, WI meetings and various others meeting places :D

I don't own cats anymore .. erm I mean they don't own me :kitty: I am now a dog person but really enjoyed this programme...... and now want a cat :blush:
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Interesting show. Three things I would have to disagree with that were mentioned on the show:

I've had two cats and they've never purred when they're anxious. It's the opposite. They always purr when they're content and enjoying human contact. I think this claim - which I've read on the internet too - is an urban myth or extremely rare.

Cats ears moving a lot when they're asleep. This is not correct (based on my experience of cats). When cats are deep in sleep their ears don't move like radars and track/listen for danger. I've never seen it.

I've never heard of that before. No cat breed/hair colour type is naturally deaf. That's nonsense.

The show was fun, though, but they shouldn't make wild claims that are not true.

None of these were wild claims.

White cats are often albinos and more likely to be deaf. It's certainly true, from my experience, that cats will purr for all kinds if reasons- not just being happy and content. They will do it to attract your attention!
    Cats certainly twitch a lot when they are sleeping.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Programme, but did they really throw cats from great heights just so they could prove they landed safely? would have thought the cat that fell 19 floors had already proved that heh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved this programme! So did my cat, she watched the whole thing. :D
  • Options
    FizzfaceFizzface Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I too really enjoyed this programme. When the kittens were squeaking one of my tom cats started looking round to see where the sound was coming from!

We had a cat who, sadly, went blind. Her mate used to guide her around so well that we didn't realise she'd gone blind until he died and she started to bang into things. Sadly she died shortly after him.

When my father was terminally ill this same cat refused to leave his sad throughout the last week of his life. Before that she'd always be first in the kitchen for food and last out. But during this period she'd gobble her food down and be back at Dad's side in minutes. In fact he actually asked if we'd stopped feeding her as she never seemed to be away from him.

The night after Dad had died our cat sat on mum's bed all night, patting mum's face (as thought to reassure her that everything would be okay).

When animals can be so sensitive to us and display such loyalty I find it just mind boggling that people can either dislike or hurt them.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG how is that cat still alive!

According to an episode of QI cats suffer more fatalities if they fall from below 7 floors than above because they don't have time to spread out and adopt their 'wing suit' position, whereby the loose fur and limbs act like a parachute - a bit like flying squirrels. It doesn't matter if they fall from 19 floors or 190 floors, they will still be falling at their terminal velocity of around 60 mph (half that of a human) which, according to QI, is perfectly survivable for a cat
  • Options
    FizzfaceFizzface Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I was also pleased to hear that you should slow blink at a cat by way of greeting! I had a conversation with a friend (whose just got cats) only last week and told them to do this - and they laughed at me. It was good to hear that I hadn't gone potty and dreamt that up! :)
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member

You have had a different experience to many cat owners then. My late Tabitha purred when she was in pain (purring helps to comfort and soothe cats in pain), I first realised this when she was 12 weeks old - she fell off the TV, initially shrieked in pain and then started purring. I brought her straight to the vet who confirmed she'd fractured her back leg. The same when she was diagnosed with cancer at the end of her life. I haven't particularly noticed it with my current cats but they are mainly happy and content and don't suffer anxiety or, thankfully, pain..

My cats' ears twitch if they hear something when asleep - unless they're in a really deep sleep.

White cats are well known to be mainly deaf and I'm surprised you have never heard of that before? They are also more prone to developing skin cancer.

I enjoyed the programme but didn't really learn anything I didn't already know, from reading books on cat care and subscribing to My Cat monthly magazine. I agree that cats never seem to see treats placed right in front of them - I knew they were long sighted and partially colour blind but didn't realise the extent to which they can't focus on nearby objects.

I also wondered about the filming of the cats falling from trees. How was a camera crew present at such opportune times unless the cats were actually thrown from the tree? Particularly the poor little kitten. Hopefully, it was all just down to careful editing.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Rarely watch ITV, so found the ads/promos almost unbearable, but the programme was good. I just hope some idiots aren't tempted to chuck a cat off a high balcony just to see if it lands.

Many non-cat folk think they are boring, bland creatures whereas they are in fact complex and fascinating. Part of their appeal for me is that no matter how domesticated, they never lose their wild instincts. Unlike some dogs, which are barely more than a wind-up toy for their owners.

Our gorgeous tortoiseshell took notice for 5 mins, then lost interest. She much prefers bird programmes :D

I worry about idiots getting ideas from these programmes too and in this backwater, it's 'one man and his dog' kingdom, having a Cat is not the done thing here.
    My Cat, a Birman, heard one of the kittens cry at the start, turned round and watched this programme right the way through; he has never watched telly before in his short life :D
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Puddin wrote: »
    Shame they couldn't try and push the neutering side a bit more as rescues are so full! Loved the programme so far but not the letting her out at 12 weeks unnuetered part.

There needs to be a Nationwide Campaign, a drive throughout the whole Country to sort this ongoing dilemma out. The government won't do nowt but I would if I could just get enough numbers on the lottery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then you'd be wrong to raise issue with those points... white cats are well know for being deaf, they often suffer from albinism as well.
    Cats purr for a multitude of reason and each cat has a distinct purr for the different messages they're trying to convey... a cat purring when its nervous is no different to you humming when you're nervous.
    They didn't say they move like radar, they said they can move like radar and that they never "turn off" their hearing like humans. I doubt very much you've *ever* snuck up on a cat, I know I haven't and lord knows with my three I've certainly tried.

I really enjoyed this show, I don't think it taught me anything I wasn't already aware of but it was a lovely and relaxing show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I am with you on that. The amount of kittens and puppies that are still being breed is disgusting when rescue centers are full to the brim. All for money >:(

Hamish reminded me of the cat 'Oscar a cat about town' from the James Herriot books. He visited the cinema, WI meetings and various others meeting places :D

I don't own cats anymore .. erm I mean they don't own me :kitty: I am now a dog person but really enjoyed this programme...... and now want a cat :blush:

Yes, they had the perfect opportunity to mention neutering as well... when they were talking about the kittens from multiple fathers in a single birth.
    It would be my only criticism of the show although to be fair I think most responsible owners do neuter their cats