Options

Something a little bit different

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Are there any standard recipies where you make a slight or major change to.

An example would be a roast chicken dinner with all the usual trimmings, but instead of a simple roast chicken with a few herbs and such you use tandoori chicken?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Another one with a roast dinner (chicken or pork).
    Paxo sage & onion stuffing but with a teaspoon full of fruit chutney or apple sauce and chilli sauce (sriracha is my chilli sauce of choice at the moment).
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I have a curry or stir fry I usually stir in a spoonful of Patak's Chilli Pickle just before serving........it's far too hot to have as a pickle on the side of the plate but stirred through it gives a wonderful depth of background flavour.......
  • Options
    Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    When I have a curry or stir fry I usually stir in a spoonful of Patak's Chilli Pickle just before serving........it's far too hot to have as a pickle on the side of the plate but stirred through it gives a wonderful depth of background flavour.......

I love eating Patak's chili pickle by itself:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is chilli pickle similar to lime pickle?

The lime pickle adds zing and a little punch as well.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Is chilli pickle similar to lime pickle?

The lime pickle adds zing and a little punch as well.

the chilli pickle is very hot.......but delicious. It's much hotter in the mouth than lime pickle

I found it too hot to eat as a pickle on the side of the late........but like I said earlier, I just stir a forkful through the curry or whatever before serving

I've had some today stirred into a bowl of pea and vegetable soup.......:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    I like to add about a teaspoon of dried herbs to my Yorkshire Pudding batter. Rosemary or Thyme are good, yum.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than mince, I like to use shredded leg or shoulder of lamb to make shepherds pie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone had a roast dinner with all the trimmings but instead of boiled/mashed/roast potatoes has just gone with oven chips instead?
  • Options
    funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Homemade leek and potato soup, or yellow split pea soup, swirl in a little cream and crumble over some goats cheese just before serving. Turns a super cheap home comfort meal into something a tad more luxurious and flavoursome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was looking at a Sunday lunch menu today and the only green veg offered was mushy peas.

I don't mind marrowfat peas but prefer garden peas. Never seen or thought of using mushy peas with a roast dinner.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mushy peas are great with mashed potatoes and gravy on any meal - you have not lived:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Mushy peas are great with mashed potatoes and gravy on any meal - you have not lived:D
    I've had all three together, just not with a roast dinner.

I prefer roasties over boiled or mashed potatoes and garden peas over marrowfat and mushy peas.
    They have their place though and when I fancy them I do have them. Have to be in the right mood though.