Learner to Drive at a Snail's Pace

cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it just me or do you find that learner drivers are driving much slower these days?

When I was learning 20+ years ago my instructor always told me to step it up a bit if I slacked on the pedal. Now it seems the vast majority of learner drivers I come across are pootling along at 7mph.

Surely this is a bad habit to teach.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My instructor shouts at me if I don't get to 4th gear quickly. But I have seen other learners who drive slowly I just usually assume they're out on the main roads for the first time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might be on their first or second lessons. Or be really nervous.

Would you prefer them to make errors at speed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the learners around here are on the speed limit, only a few that are really slow and I put that down to them being in the early days of lessons.

We all had to start somewhere
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FluffyEgg wrote: »
    Most of the learners around here are on the speed limit, only a few that are really slow and I put that down to them being in the early days of lessons.

We all had to start somewhere

Don't get me wrong - I fully appreciate that having driving lessons can be difficult, and I have patience with learners.

It's just the speed at which they seem to drive nowadays. I really think it's much slower than in the past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no patience with them, I was a learner yes, but Im just a bad tempered cow and it winds me up being stuck behind learners and tractors lol;):D

They should not be on the road during rush hour imho

Seriously that is meant a bit tongue in cheek but learners and tractors do wind me up at rush hour.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( I find the scary ones are the folk out with their mum/dad/partner etc.No dual controls,no qualifications etc.
    A while back,on a straight road i saw this car veering straight over to my side of the road.As it got closer,i saw a young guy yank the steering wheel from his girlfriend to get them going straight again.:eek:
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its *** rude when you get tailgaters as a learner!
    I get these here and there and I always make sure I'm going at exactly the right speed so Im not going too slowly.
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NathalieR wrote: »
    I think its *** rude when you get tailgaters as a learner!
    I get these here and there and I always make sure I'm going at exactly the right speed so Im not going too slowly.

Oh we all feel like that when we're learning...

Wait til you pass and you've got 5 minutes to be at work. :D
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sprogg wrote: »
    Oh we all feel like that when we're learning...

Wait til you pass and you've got 5 minutes to be at work. :D

True :)

Its just so rude though imo to tailgate anyway let alone a learner!
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong - I fully appreciate that having driving lessons can be difficult, and I have patience with learners.

It's just the speed at which they seem to drive nowadays. I really think it's much slower than in the past.

Can't say I've noticed a difference in the 14 years since I passed.

Maybe you're just getting old and feel like you can't afford to waste the time anymore? :p
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were once behind a learner going about 10mph on an empty stretch of country road, and my husband accidentally tooted the horn (It was a Corsa and he is tall so he had this habit of accdientally hitting the car horn). We were so mortified for the poor learner we pulled in to a side lane and waited til we thought the coast was clear...
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more likely to accidentally break the speed limit, lol :D In my 3rd lesson when I first went onto main roads I reached 55mph in a 50 zone and cos I was paying more attention to the road ahead than my speedometer I didn't realise I was speeding until my instructor said "watch your speed"!

My first 2 lessons were in quiet side roads which are 30 zones but because there were so many parked cars to avoid I didn't end up doing more than about 20-25mph.

I like driving on wide, fast roads but sometimes get panicky on narrow, slow roads. The worst are fast narrow roads in the countryside though. Those roads are probably the only places I'd be in real 'danger' of holding people up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :( I find the scary ones are the folk out with their mum/dad/partner etc.No dual controls,no qualifications etc.
    A while back,on a straight road i saw this car veering straight over to my side of the road.As it got closer,i saw a young guy yank the steering wheel from his girlfriend to get them going straight again.:eek:

Just come home and was stuck behind a learner in their parents car lol.

Driving out over the white line, indicated right at a 2 lane roundabout entrance, but stayed in left lane, then went straight on (there's no left turn) changing indicators to left just as she was half way across. Was doing 10mph all the way back on a busy road.

That's why parents shouldn't be allowed to teach kids from scratch..
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No instructor would allow their pupils to drive at a speed lower than is reasonable for the road they are on and the experience they have.

Obviously someone who doesn't know which pedal is which yet is going to be going slower than someone who is doing their test the next day.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got in to fifth gear while taking my lessons. I did try once, but ended up in third. You can guess what happened. :D

Personally I always give learners 'breathing room'. There's simply nothing to be gained from trying to drive up their exhaust pipe, and besides, watching their crazy antics normally cheers me up . ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    It's the driving instructors fault not ours!
    Mine makes me start breaking and into 1st when there's still about half a mile to go before approaching a roundabout and it feels ridiculously slow! He's always telling me to watch my speed, but I get paranoid that the people behind me are going to get p*ssed off!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine makes me start breaking and into 1st when there's still about half a mile to go before approaching a roundabout and it feels ridiculously slow! He's always telling me to watch my speed, but I get paranoid that the people behind me are going to get p*ssed off!

Generally you should be using 2nd when approaching roundabouts...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Generally you should be using 2nd when approaching roundabouts...

Not in his opinion! Depending on the size of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in his opinion! Depending on the size of it.

I suggest you get a different instructor, you should only be in first when moving off if you've came to a complete stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My instructor sees it as an affront to do anything other than bang on the speed limit or a maximum of 1mph below it. Do 28 in a '30' zone and he'll have a go for not keeping up with traffic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest you get a different instructor, you should only be in first when moving off if you've came to a complete stop.

Indeed. First gear is for moving off (including if you have to stop entirely or when you have slowed down to a crawl - like in traffic) and slow manoeuvres.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Is it just me or do you find that learner drivers are driving much slower these days?

When I was learning 20+ years ago my instructor always told me to step it up a bit if I slacked on the pedal. Now it seems the vast majority of learner drivers I come across are pootling along at 7mph.

Surely this is a bad habit to teach.

What I find far more annoying are idiotic women (sorry, it is ALWAYS women) driving stupid tanks, complete with the vacuity-giveaway "Baby On Board" stickers in place, who have absolutely no concept of yellow junction boxes or which lane they subsequently need to be in etc ad infinitum.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

I agree, if you start changing down to first gear while the car is moving you will probably fail your test.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes of course it is.

The instructor should be monitoring and guiding the student throughout the lesson - including correct speed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you first start learning to drive, it is very scary though. You're tempted to go everywhere at 7mph