What is it with stag and hen parties?

Comments

• peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think there is something very insecure about couples who decide to do the joint stag / hen do thing. just my opinion, naturally. horses for courses i suppose.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    I would do something boring like a spa day for me and my bridesmaids, that would be my hen party.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are three things I hate about hen do's:

i) they are mostly abroad (well, with my friends anyway), and are more of a hen weekend than a hen night. This would be ok if I was younger, single, and had money to burn, but not ok now I don't have money to burn, and don't want to spend a whole weekend away from my family.

ii) a lot of them seem to involve dressing like a **** at the airport (and elsewhere), with specially made T-shirts with slutty logos. There was one last year, and they all went to the airport in hotpants, with bright pink T-shirts that had "dirty ****", "dirty ****" , and "dirty b!tch" etc etc, printed on them. From what they said, they spent a lot of the time acting like tarts. They wouldn't normally do that, or dress like that (no-one would!), but it's ok for a hen night(?).

iii) the bride and other people are suprised when I don't want to go, and say I'm just not getting into the spirit of things, but I'm a reserved person, and would not be seen dead in a pair of hotpants and a T-shirt saying "dirty ****", no matter what the occasion. :eek:
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do enjoy a good night out, but I'm not down with the modern trend that a stag weekend has to be a big four-day affair to Prague and will cost more than my family holiday...
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just come back from a 4 day one in Biarritz, was pretty good but we are all in our late 30's early 40's so it wasn't to much. Admittedly we are all from a rugby club so it was all pretty mild in comparision to a tour. We went surfing and to a rugby match then a few bars. The groom had to wear a dress for an hour on the beach and that was it.

All good fun and a bit of a laugh to be honest. It was a good excuse for a lot fo good friends to have a weekend away.
  • PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peon wrote: »
    i think there is something very insecure about couples who decide to do the joint stag / hen do thing. just my opinion, naturally. horses for courses i suppose.

We did one because we share all the same friends. What is the point of making people go on and pay for both a stag and a hen when they can have just one, especially as we both wanted just a meal and drinks. Plus the one person who would not be there from the group would either be the bride or the groom seems stupid. We had lived together for over 10 years by the time we got married so our social circles were the same. Nothing insecure about it at all, if he wanted a seperate one, he could of had one, we don't go in for all this seperate boys and girls rubbish, nothing insecure if anything it shows we are more secure and mature with each other.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, indeed. Horses for courses. We did it, and I can assure you that we neither of us are insecure. What would make you think that about someone?

The reason we did a joint one was - frankly - because we were both in our mid-late 30s at the time, and we just thought we were a bit old to be going around wearing L plates in our hair and getting blind drunk. And like Punkchick, we had lived together for several years before getting married, so we had the same friends, and usually saw them as couples.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Punkchick wrote: »
    We did one because we share all the same friends. What is the point of making people go on and pay for both a stag and a hen when they can have just one, especially as we both wanted just a meal and drinks. Plus the one person who would not be there from the group would either be the bride or the groom seems stupid. We had lived together for over 10 years by the time we got married so our social circles were the same. Nothing insecure about it at all, if he wanted a seperate one, he could of had one, we don't go in for all this seperate boys and girls rubbish, nothing insecure if anything it shows we are more secure and mature with each other.

horses for courses, as i said. i'm like peas and carrots with my girlfriend and we share a lot of the same mates. we'll do something separately though. that's part of the fun, girls do girl things, the lads do lad things. together might as well just be a regular night down the pub.
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    L plates
    Inflatable condoms
    Veils
    Strip o gram

I could not think of anything worse.

Best one I ever went to, just 6 of us, all good friends, went to London in a lovely black limo, stayed in a lovely hotel and spent 2 days in West London, shopping, lunches, cocktails, it was FABulous. :D

Those are the things I don't get. Why L plates?

I understand the wanting to celebrate your friend getting married. It's the things you listed that puzzle me. Also, why have a party with just girls or just men? Surely if you have a mixed-sex group of friends it would be nice to go out all together?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    Yes, indeed. Horses for courses. We did it, and I can assure you that we neither of us are insecure. What would make you think that about someone?

The reason we did a joint one was - frankly - because we were both in our mid-late 30s at the time, and we just thought we were a bit old to be going around wearing L plates in our hair and getting blind drunk.

you don't have to do what the young people do, but it's nice to get off and do lad / lady things separately. my mum and dad were always in each others' pockets, they ended up divorced. just a warning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you don't have to do what the young people do, but it's nice to get off and do lad / lady things separately. my mum and dad were always in each others' pockets, they ended up divorced. just a warning.

I think that post is quite offensive. You don't know anything about me or my husband, and you're making all sorts of assumptions. We're not your parents.

And how on earth do you know that we don't do lad / lady things separately? Just because we didn't want to go down the traditional route, you assume that we're insecure and start giving 'warnings'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    I think that post is quite offensive. You don't know anything about me or my husband, and you're making all sorts of assumptions. We're not your parents.

And how on earth do you know that we don't do lad / lady things separately? Just because we didn't want to go down the traditional route, you assume that we're insecure and start giving 'warnings'.

no offence meant missus :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ataraxia wrote: »
    Its basically a bloody good excuse to go out and get drunk.

The appeal is to have a good time with all of your friends.

I get that, I just don't get why it's such a specific format- the bride and groom separately going out with all their female and male friends respectively. Then you're expected to wear stupid costumes and join in with all the "games". And to make as much noise and get as drunk as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising those who choose that, and I love going out with friends, but it just seems a bit of a bizzare way to celebrate getting married.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no offence meant missus :)

Excuse me getting all steamed up then :) No harm, no foul :)
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those are the things I don't get. Why L plates?

I understand the wanting to celebrate your friend getting married. It's the things you listed that puzzle me. Also, why have a party with just girls or just men? Surely if you have a mixed-sex group of friends it would be nice to go out all together?

How old are you? I would have thought everyone knows that it is because you are a "learner" in the bed department. In the " good old days" you didn't sleep together until the wedding night. You really sound very naive or is this just a wind u?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    So to summarise everyone else. They have been going on for decades, so have you been held prisoner on a desert island?:eek:

Maybe I should have made it clear....I didn't mean the old way of just going out with all your mates on a standard night out to celebrate getting married.

I meant the whole inflatable d*cks, L plates, tutus and veils, crotch grabbing, throwing up in the street shebang. It seems to have become the compulsory thing to do before getting married, whereas it wasn't as common before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and Hubby had sten weekend

Firday it was all of us paintballing and tree top rope walking thing then slap up meal in evening.
    Saturday Girls shopping and spar then night dancing and drinking, Boys go karting, sports bar then night of drinking but not with us girls.
    Sunday lazy day with lunch and a few drinks then home

was a great weekend for all and a break from the kids for a lot of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horses for courses, as i said. i'm like peas and carrots with my girlfriend and we share a lot of the same mates. we'll do something separately though. that's part of the fun, girls do girl things, the lads do lad things. together might as well just be a regular night down the pub.

That is the point, we don't do girl things and lad things, we grew out of that years ago, and don't find it fun at all. We share the same interests and passions. I can't think of anything worse than being in an all girl group, I would have wanted to hang myself by the end, my husband is also not into lad culture, none of our male friends are, I have never known any mates to have a night down the pub for instance. We all enjoy more physical or civilised pursuits. When we made our lists before we decided to join together, the top ten names were exactly the same, my best friend is male, he was our best man seemed pointless doing two then. See me and the husband have always been two peas in a pod, and we share not just a lot of friends but allof them.
    That is not to say we don't go out without each other on occassion, mainly because the other is busy. My husband for instance has been the the cinema with a female friend because I wasn't interested in seeing that film and I have been on a weekend away with a male friend, sharing a tent, very cosy. So nothing insecure about us. :D

I have no problem with other people having seperate ones, I don't think either option makes anyone insecure in their relationship though, that would just be odd! Just what suits each couple.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I went on a Stag with my old made from uni last year
    We went cycling in the fens and visited Ely cathedral.

On the way home we went to see the apple orchards in Herefordshire and saw some of the harvesting in porgress as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    How old are you? I would have thought everyone knows that it is because you are a "learner" in the bed department. In the " good old days" you didn't sleep together until the wedding night. You really sound very naive or is this just a wind u?

I'm 23. Well, thanks for clarifying. Not many people are "learners" in the bed department before getting married now, though. So it makes even less sense.

I'm not naive, it's just that I have never been on a hen night as only one couple I know have gotten married, and they didn't have hen or stag parties. But I've observed others on such parties and their behaviour is quite bizzare. Maybe I just hang around in different circles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I went on a Stag with my old made from uni last year
    We went cycling in the fens and visited Ely cathedral.

On the way home we went to see the apple orchards in Herefordshire and saw some of the harvesting in porgress as well.

That sounds great. Much better than getting so drunk you don't remember anything. Bet you have some nice memories. I would love to go on a do like that. :D
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member

My Mum and Dad were always together, for several years they worked at the same place as well, they were very sociable but liked to be together. They met when my Mum ws 15 and my Dad was 16 and were together every single day until my Dad died at 65. I have never met a happier couple.

Some people like separate nights out, some don't they should do what is right and comfortable for them.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had 4 hen do's - one of which was a surprise hen party - all of them were wicked fun and not an inflatable dildo in sight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nard Dog wrote: »
    I did not bother with one and neither did Mrs Dog.

Its a bit oiky

Like playing Come on Eileen at your reception..

We played come on eileen at our reception :(
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    We played come on eileen at our reception :(

Don't take offence. ;)

I have been to many a wedding reception, Come on Eileen seems to be a pre-requisite.

Though the last wedding reception I went to, there was no DJ, the bride and groom put all their fave tracks onto an Ipod or something, I think that is a really good idea. Mind you, not if you don't agree with their taste in music. :D